starting strength gym
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Unoriginally Named SS Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    For this should the body be more vertical (tricep dips?) or leaned forward a bit (chest dips?)?
    If you don't mind me saying the time spent thinking about this is probably better spent dipping! I try to stay more upright because if you lean forward that resembles benching more.

I was planning on rotating the following three after the main workout; chins, dips and back ext. So Monday is chins, Wednesday is back ext and Friday is dips.
    It sounds like a good, balanced plan. For a while I did chins and dips after every workout and saw good progress from it. At this point, more volume is unlikely to hurt. Do more if you can. GAINZZZ!

Quote Originally Posted by peez View Post
    If you don't mind me saying the time spent thinking about this is probably better spent dipping!
    LOL, the hardest part of training is the rest periods, which I spend all of my time thinking about my workouts. Setting up a home gym was the worst mistake, because I am always looking at those nice bumpers and that black Rogue bar (wait, is that politically incorrect?) is always seductively whispering my name, trying to get me to play with her...

Yeah, you're positively hooked! I got one of the black rogue bars also ... they are awesome!

Mon 12-1-14

Got a huge back pain (lats?) driving the kids to school. Maybe from Dips on Saturday? Took a couple Ibuprofin and felt better in about 30 min. Workout felt GREAT. Presses felt very strong, and form felt pretty good up to the last working set. DL and squats were a piece of cake. It was difficult to not go up 10 instead of 5 from last workout.

Wonder if the presses feeling good was due to dips, time off, or both.

Squat

264 x 3 x 5

Press

112.5 x 3 x 5

DL

280 x 1 x 5

Chins last night at the lodge. No warmup, were hard as heck. 5,4,3,2,1. I need to get a chinup solution at home soon.
    Last edited by mweitz; 12-02-2014 at 11:19 AM.

12/3/14

Felt tired, lethargic this am, even after 2 cups of coffee and 4 grams of Hyde (400 grams of caffeine plus whatever other bullshit they put in there).

This was probably my hardest workout. Not sure if I just didn't get enough sleep last night or what. I could barely even consider doing my working sets of squats, let alone do them. Even the last warm up was brutal. I managed to push through them though.

Audiobooks suck for lifting. Moved to Accept then early Motley Crue after, much better.

Squats

269 x 3 x 5 with 7 minute rests between sets. Some minor SI pain.

I was tired and hungry during my squats. Ate some pita chips and pop corn. Never felt like that before during a workout. Nothing different than the last couple weeks for the am routine.

I took a 30 or 40 minute break after squats. Didn't have a spotter for Bench and was a little worried. My shoulders and elbows were pretty sore from the squats (also a new thing?). I finally decided to just push through it.

Bench

164 x 3 x 5 with 10 minute rests between sets. Felt pretty good. Elbows hurt a little but got a little amped and did all of them

Cleans.

100 x 5 x 3. with 2 minute rests between sets. I forgot to do these first. Much harder at the end. I also forgot last time that it is 5 sets of 3, not 3 sets of 5. I suck at these, but I'm going to continue to do them for the time being.

Whew, glad I made it through this one. With Monday feeling so good it was a little disappointing. Maybe I need to transition to a light day on Wed soon...

Tonight.

Back Ext 1 x 10
    Weighted back ext
    10 x 3 x 10
    Last edited by mweitz; 12-04-2014 at 01:35 AM.

12/5/14

Squat. 7 min rests between sets

274 x 3 x 5

Press (PR), 8 min rests between sets

114 x 3 x 5

DL

285 x 1 x 5

Dips

BW x 4 x 5
    Last edited by mweitz; 12-05-2014 at 02:24 PM.

Mon 12/8/14

Warm up with my "new" cheap Concept II Rower from CL!

Hard day. Didn't get enough sleep over the weekend.

Squat

279 x 3 x 5

Bench - 1 set was hard. 2nd was pretty good. On the third set I got stuck under the bar. That REALLY sucked. I ended up dumping the bar. Really glad I was using bumpers!

165 x 2 x 5
    165 x 1 x 4

DL. Finally broke through the 285 barrier which has been a sticking point for me for some reason. Woot!

290 x 1 x 5

Mon 12/8/14 Afternoon

Chins

BW x 3 x 5

Dips

BW x 5, 6, 6

Back Ext

BW + 10 x 3 x 10

Wed 12/10/14

Good nights sleep, but still feel tired.

Squats. I was a little worried, and they were hard but I grinded through them. First set I did a 7 minute rest. Barely made the 2nd set so I moved back to a 10 min rest.

284 x 3 x 5

Press. These felt weak from the first warmup set. Managed to increase 1# over last time.

115 x 3 x 5

Cleans. Crap, forgot to do these first again. I made a note in my log for the next few Wed to start on cleans.

105 x 5 x 3

Will try to do chins, dips and back ext at the Lodge this afternoon.

Afternoon:

Chins BW x 3 x 5

Dips BW x 5, 6, 5

Back Ext 15 x 3 x 5
    Last edited by mweitz; 12-11-2014 at 08:07 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    Fri 12/12/14

Slept pretty well last night. Still was a tough workout.

Squats. Almost back to my last reset. I decided to start microloading, so went up 2 pounds from Wed. They were HARD, and I procrastinated every set, but got through them.

286 x 3 x 5

Bench. I failed on the last rep last time, so was a little worried. My shoulders and elbows are pretty painful from squatting so I took 2 ibuprofen and after my first set chugged down 5g BCAA. May have helped. I also think my grip was a little narrow, so I went a little wider.

165 x 3 x 5 PR

DL. Last warmup at 275 was brutal. Managed to power through my working set though, another PR. Woot!

295 x 1 x 5

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast