starting strength gym
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Grant's Training Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Welcome. Do you do Deadlifts?

Oh yes. I deadlifts

I guess I missed your report of them. Anyway, I love your reports of gym life though I share your discomfort with them.

Yeah for me pull = deadlift. I use the words interchangeably

Last night yielded hours of drinking and as such...I was particularly useless today but I still managed to get to the gym. Once here, I discovered that my legs hurt as a product of my week off from training, but I worked through it and actually felt pretty strong.

Squats
    Really focusing on driving the knees out. Already feeling the benefits.
    Barx5 95x5 135x5 185x4 250x5x3 beltless

Bench AIDS is a real thing. But it's a war we can win. Changing up the programming. Doing some close grip work today w good success

Barx5 95x5 135x5 175x5 185x5x2

Pull ups. Fuck this thread, because otherwise I would've gone home. So here they are you greedy fucks.

2 1 and Fuck I'm weak I'm going home.

Gym thoughts
    Hangovers suck. Drinking is not worth it. Boozing hard is the anti-gainZzZ.

Also, fun gym exercise: stand behind a guy checking himself out in the mirror posing and do the same pose just behind him and slightly offset so he can see you if he's not too self involved. Double points if your muscles are not as big, but definitely stronger. Go lift some weights, you weak Fuck.

Chalk one up for the strong men
    Last edited by grant.meeker; 11-23-2014 at 06:49 PM.

Yesterday I was feeling alright but without the same drive I'd had for previous intensity days. Didn't wake up thinking "320" so I guess that was telling. I also think my diet has been a bit carb depleted lately, which was part of why I was making such progress - back on the oatmeal.

Squat
    Barx5 95x5 135x5 185x4 225x2 275x2 320x3 - out of gas on the third one, racked it
    Came back and hit 320x2 8 minutes later to get my 5 out, but it was brutal - even with a couple of nameless guys yelling at me to get it from the benches, it was still rough.

Bench - Still fighting the bench AIDS, so just trying to work through it, the new programming may be helping a bit - we'll see
    Barx5 95x5 135x4 155x2 185x1 215x3!!!!!!!! Got it, finally. then did a 200x4 drop set

Felt pretty amped after hitting the bench and thought I might just squeak out the deads on a day when I was feeling a little underpowered. I was wrong.

Deadlift
    135x5 185x5 225x5 275x3 315x1 380x4, took a minute off, 380x1 - needed to pull that 5th one to prove I could.

This was a bit of a downer for me after making huge progress for a month, but the last couple weeks I think I lost a bit of momentum and with travelling and all it definitely made things tougher. I'm going to need to be a bit more fastidious about the diet and upping the carb intake to continue the progress I've made.

Random gym observations:
    It's weird when people you don't know get amped about your lifts - kind of nice and exciting, especially when you realize you're moving weights that people can get excited about, but also odd

It's a strange thing when you figure out that you're not longer staring at a girl's ass when she squats to check her out, but rather to check her form.
    It feels completely asexual from my stand point, but when I'm sitting in front of her watching form, I can see how she might think it off that I'm staring directly at her cooch as she descends in the sqaut. Must determine how to reconcile this.

Despite your upset face yesterday, I suspect your body will gain strength from yesterday's work. Eat a ton on Thanksgiving, man, you deserve it. See you when we get back.

Had a weird day in the gym - long weekend of not training, poor sleep, high calorie consumption of shitty food - it was hard to see what today would be.

Austin pointed out at the end of my squat that my stance looked too narrow. For some stupid reason, I narrowed it last week - can't figure out why, but it felt better after the end of the workout when I tried my previously wider stance.

Barx5 95x5 135x5 185x4 225x2 285x5x4, 285x3 - my boxer briefs tore in the last set and I couldn't focus with the sound of fabric tearing

Bench made some progress last week - time to see what dumbbells can do

25x5, 40x5, 55x5, 70x5x5

Felt fine. Boring.

Paused pulls. Ordered high socks and wrist straps today. Was bleeding over the bar so quit early. Feel free to bust my balls.

135x5, 185x3 225x3 270x2, then...fuck it, went home.

Also, got kinda fat over Thanksgiving, so hunkering down more on the macros, going to try 85 fat, 250 carb, 225 protein/day and see if I can progress and maybe drop a little fat. Feeling fat no bueno,

Torn shorts. We've all been there...now squat commando--actually my shorts have liner so it works.

starting strength coach development program
    I was excited to get back in the gym today with a new pair of underwear and some insight into why my squat may have felt weird. Also, I had all you can eat sushi buffet last night, so the gainZzZ should have been plentiful overnight.

Hit the squat rack, banged em out
    Barx5, 95x5, 135x5, 185x4, 225x4, 255x5x2
    Only did two work sets per Mr. Baraki's directions - will see the end impact on Friday/Sat

Close Grip Bench
    These should help - I think I'm going to start finally making some bench progress...or not...but maybe?
    Barx5x2, 95x5, 135x4, 185x5x3
    Felt good, hopefully 220x3 falls on Fri/Sat

After this, I probably should have done some pullups, but I was tired and didn't want to. Oh well, laziness.

Gym Observations:
    I'm at a bit of a crossroads personally because I would very much like to lose some weight and look a bit less fat when I take my shirt off. I've carried a bit too much fat for far too long and I would like to finally get rid of it. On the other hand, I just put on 5 lbs and ripped some squat, bench, and pull PRs so I need to figure out how to do it. Since I have some fat reserve, hopefully I will be able to at the very least maintain while I cut some poundage, but we'll see. I have my whole life to continue getting strong, so getting rid of some fat now is probably a good thing. Will institute some stricter diet control, monitoring so I don't lose weight too quickly, in addition to adding in cardio 1 day/week, likely the day after volume day. Let's go find those abZzZ!

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast