starting strength gym
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Milk and Squats: What's Best in Life

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    20MAY15

Squat: 400x5, 305x5x2. Sudden Onset Diabetes after my first set. It's a real thing I have inbetween heavy squat sets. Unique to the squat. Want to lie down and take a nap.

Tried to change my programming from LP, light, LP to LP, two days rest, LP and it didnt turn out so good. Got the first set but I knew I wasn't recovered. It could be, and probably is, that I've been eating poorly again. And by poorly and mean calories around 2400-3000. Eating is hard. And this isn't supposed to be a blog about feelings but I have alot of feelings. A lot of them. Most of them don't like to eat.

Bench: 285x5x2, 280x5x3.

Chins: 10x5

About 4.5 weeks into Fenugreek/DAA. Suddenly woke up with acne. Alot of it. Fuck acne. Also getting gyno. I think. Probably just getting fat. Might be at 20%. Gained 9 lbs in 4.5 weeks and now at 229. Will get bod podded again soon, I suspect gains will be about 50/50 lbm/fat. Stopping my cycle. Reducing calories back to 4000. I'll pick it back up again in 5 weeks.

Squat: 400x5, 305x5x2. Sudden Onset Diabetes after my first set. It's a real thing I have inbetween heavy squat sets. Unique to the squat. Want to lie down and take a nap.
    No wonder - it's such an extreme drain on the reserves what you are squatting at the limit. With my admittedly limited grasp of the mechanics it seems plausible that eating poorly could trigger this - less glycogen stores in the muscles, less ATP available, sudden drop in blood sugar, body racing to replenish. How do yo warm up and what do you eat in the hours prior to a workout? Do you get extra carbs before a workout?

Eating is hard. And this isn't supposed to be a blog about feelings but I have alot of feelings. A lot of them. Most of them don't like to eat.
    I have a lot of feelings about food these days also, but of the opposite kind. You can have them if you want!

Quote Originally Posted by peez View Post
    How do yo warm up and what do you eat in the hours prior to a workout? Do you get extra carbs before a workout?
    I spent $2 and I use the starting strength warm-up app. It's really useful and even has a Beast Notice™ on it to let you know when you've outgrown the app (Although I don't think I'll trigger it anytime soon).

A liter of milk and an energy drink (54 g carbs) before and I'll typically drink another 2 energy drinks by the time I leave the gym. I also rest a lot inbetween squat sets and it usually takes me 90 or so minutes just to finish squating. Because of my diabetes

Quote Originally Posted by peez View Post
    I have a lot of feelings about food these days also, but of the opposite kind. You can have them if you want!
    I like you Peez and I wouldn't want to do that to you

Quote Originally Posted by Shaneomac View Post
    A liter of milk and an energy drink (54 g carbs) before and I'll typically drink another 2 energy drinks by the time I leave the gym. I also rest a lot inbetween squat sets and it usually takes me 90 or so minutes just to finish squating. Because of my diabetes

seems like a lot of sugar to pound concurrent with a workout. Is that 3x54g from energy drinks + lactose in the milk (~50g/litre) for a total of around 212g? I think my pancreas would probably just tunnel through into my small intestine & hit the emergency exit button.

Quote Originally Posted by Toasterleavings View Post
    seems like a lot of sugar to pound concurrent with a workout. Is that 3x54g from energy drinks + lactose in the milk (~50g/litre) for a total of around 212g? I think my pancreas would probably just tunnel through into my small intestine & hit the emergency exit button.
    I've only shit myself once so far

More of a wet shart really. I should probably be eating more meat.
    Last edited by Shaneomac; 05-22-2015 at 12:05 AM.

22MAY15
    Midnight. I fucking hate mirrors.

Squat: 395x5 misload, 400x3, 405x1. Heavy as 1000 suns. I don't know what's wrong with me. I guess I'm stuck.

Press: 192.5x3.5, 190x1, 185x3x3. I don't want to talk about it.

Deadlift: 435x5. Could have done heavier. At least these didn't suck, I would have been more worried.

Curls: 60x10x5

Floor stare: Fx60

I don't like this reduction in frequency. I suck too.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaneomac View Post
    22MAY15
    Midnight. I fucking hate mirrors.

Squat: 395x5 misload, 400x3, 405x1. Heavy as 1000 suns. I don't know what's wrong with me. I guess I'm stuck.

Press: 192.5x3.5, 190x1, 185x3x3. I don't want to talk about it.

Deadlift: 435x5. Could have done heavier. At least these didn't suck, I would have been more worried.

Curls: 60x10x5

Floor stare: Fx60

I don't like this reduction in frequency. I suck too.
    Sounds like you had an off day; sorry to hear that. The deads look nice, though. Lol @ floor stares.

My best advice is to remember how this feels and get pissed before your next workout. Try to either truly eliminate all doubt that the weight is going up or, if that isn't possible, treat the doubt like your enemy and try to prove it wrong. Fuck doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by artvandalay View Post
    Sounds like you had an off day; sorry to hear that. The deads look nice, though. Lol @ floor stares.

My best advice is to remember how this feels and get pissed before your next workout. Try to either truly eliminate all doubt that the weight is going up or, if that isn't possible, treat the doubt like your enemy and try to prove it wrong. Fuck doubt.
    Thanks Art. Haven't been killing it at the gym lately.

26MAY15
    Indifferent about training.

Light Squat: 300x5x3. Next training day will be the start of a deload. Not sure how much yet.

Bench: 275x1x3, 3. Wrecked my biceps/elbows arm wrestling the other day. Didn't know I used my biceps to bench. weird. It hurt in a bad way. Going to let it heal. Will probably loose precious tricep mass. Not cutting though, so I dont think I'll lose too much.

Chins: ---

This logs getting all sorts of exciting.

starting strength coach development program
    29MAY15
    Taking my supps again and eating. Accidentally lost 3 lbs. My new BCAAs smell like floury ass.

Squat: 380x5x3. Working back up from this. Easy and encouraging.

Press: 185x3, 180x3, 175x5x3, 165x8.

Powerclean and press: 185x3x5. Pressing all 3 reps winded me, so I usually just pressed the last rep or two. I might press stronger looking straight forward and beltless.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast