starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Got2Squat's Advanced Novice Strength Journal

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    After a week of advanced novice I can say that light day midweek has helped my lower back recover. Did DL today and failed to get 5 at 320. Couldn't get it off the floor until I just got pissed and was able to get 4 reps until I ran out of gas. I might have to try DL on light squat day but I have the same concern that it might affect my Thursday heavy day. Also I feel as if my hip problem (degenerative disc at L1) may slow progress past 315. I'm starting to feel as if that weight is causing my issues like I hit a threshold that may be long in overcoming.

Starting Strength Advanced Novice/Texas Method
    Monday week 22

Squats:
    300 3x5 (+5)

Press: volume day, 90%
    110 5x5

Today was scheduled for deadlift. It was a monumental battle of willpower and determination to make myself workout after a rough day at work, aching back etc etc, so:
    BB Rows:
    205 1x5 (+5) Threw in the towel here. Done. Just done.

Oh well. Looks like you got a squat PR though! Deadlift with an aching back is a mental psych out for me.

SS Advanced Novice/Texas Method
    Wednesday week 22

Light day

Squats: warming up to 240 work sets, warm ups felt great until 185
    45x10
    45x10
    95x5
    135x5
    185x3 Somewhat sharp pain in right kneecap on third rep, so:
    BW x 10 fine
    BW x 10
    45 x 10
    45 x 10
    95 x 5
    135 x 3 Little pain on third rep so just called it. Been on my feet ten hours/day at work last three days for the first time in a couple of years, not sure if that's the issue but not taking any chances. Going to focus very hard on recovery/sleep/food next couple days. Will be VERY disappointed if I cannot continue progress on Friday.

Bench: target 170, dropped to 155 as shoulder is feeling iffy
    155 3x5, no problems

Chins:
    BW+35 x 7 (+1 rep)
    BW+35 x 7
    BW+35 x 5 two minute rest, should have been five

First time for accessory work:
    LTE:
    45 x 10
    55 x 10
    55 x 10 Easy. Just taking it easy to make sure I don't get sore.

BB Curls: For the gunzzzzz....shoot me.
    65 x 10
    75 x 10
    75 x 10

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Today was not a training day. However, since I injured my shoulder a couple of months ago and have lost over two months now of progress on bench and press, I have been giving a lot of thought to how to improve those lifts without overdoing things and re-injuring myself. My work weights are within 5-10 lbs of my previous bests, but no actuall progress yet, and the shoulder is still not feeling quite 100%. So, today, I raised the safeties on my rack up to chest height or so, put both my barbells on the safeties, and carefully attempted dips. I have gained almost 30 lbs since I started strength training and have not done dips yet, so I was not sure how my shoulder would feel. Well, lo and behold, I did 5 or 6 to full depth with absolutely no hint of discomfort or indication of the injury. So it looks like I will be adding in a lot of dips while my shoulder continues to heal back to 100%. Excited about this, wish I had thought of it two months ago.

starting strength coach development program
    Final workout of SS Advanced Novice
    Friday, week 22:

Squats:
    305 x 4 (+5) Rep 4 was extremely difficult, did not attempt the 5th rep. Decided to do two back off sets at 275:
    275 x 2 This felt heavy as shit, and my knee didnt feel quite right. So I threw in the towel, recover, start fresh Monday with TM.

Press:
    122.5 1x5 Shoulder felt really good, just a couple of twinges during warmups. RPE 8.5-9, so plenty left in the tank

Deadlift: Was expecting to repeat 365 and get all my reps for a PR
    135 x 5
    185 x 5
    225 x 3
    275 x 2
    315 x 1 Felt heavy
    335 x 1 Felt really heavy....wtf???

335 1x5 30 lb deload. I think it is a combination of not recovered, a tough week, and no weight gain for a month.

Dips:
    BW x 15
    BW x 15
    BW x 15 First time doing these and they felt really good. Going to blast the hell out of these to try and drive my bench and press progress while my shoulder finishes healing up.

I think if I focused on cramming in lots of food to gain some weight that I might be able to stretch out advanced novice for a couple more weeks, but, I also think it may just be time to switch to intermediate programming. IMO, no point in pressing my luck, end up getting hurt, and lose months of progress. Although I know I have not broken any records, I am very pleased with my progress given my age, height/weight, work schedule, etc. Here is a summary:

Novice progression from 6/30/2014 to 11/28/2014, 5 months:
    Age 43, 5'8" 156--->183 (+27 lbs)
    Working weights:
    Squat 70--->300
    Press 55--->127.5
    Bench 95--->195
    Deadlift 95--->360
    BB Row 75--->200

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123