Thread: 64 yo Barbell Neophyte Trying Novice LP

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Thanks Karl!

Default Week 6 Novice LP, Day 1

11/24
    Squats: 45x5x2, 65x5, 85x5, 125x2, 145x5x3
    BP: 45x5, 65x5, 75x5, 85x2, 105x5x2, 105x4 (assisted on r5)
    Deadlift: 65x5, 95x5, 135x5, 175x3, 210x5

Failed yet again on last rep, last set on BP. Failed same way as the other times (@95 and @100). Couldn't quite get lockout. Even waited 5 minutes between BP work sets this time. Decided we're staying at 105 until I do a clean 5x3. SQ and DL went up ok. Also decided to go 150 next squat and then go up 5/workout, instead of repeat and then go up 10 in a week.

Didn't mention previously, but I still to my "nordic walking". 5 miles 11/21, 4 miles 11//22 and 5.7 miles 11/23. Burns 125-140 calories net per mile over BMR (estimated from heart rate) depending on how fast I go and how hard I push on the sticks. Its snowing again here, so "nordic walking" may well be over for the season. If we get enough snow, then I can do snow shoeing or XC skiing.

Also I was pretty sore after last Thursday's workout... Thursday night and Friday and into Saturday. That's only the second time I've felt more than minor soreness, the other was after the Monday workout 3 weeks ago.
    Last edited by Richard Seaman; 11-24-2014 at 02:53 PM.

You are fairly light for 6'1". You sure shouldn't wish to loose any of your weight if you want to gain strength.

Just noticed your log. There aren't a whole bunch of us 60+ geezers who post here at SS. Congratulations on a good start, and keep plugging away at the iron.

Near Hartland you say? That's not too far from my cherished isthmus!

Im glad to see you and your log here, wellcome paladin!

Great work Paladin, keep it going.

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

Carson: My goal while doing novice LP is to maintain BW. So far that's been the case. Ideally my waist should go down, but so far that hasn't happened. As long as it doesn't go up, I'm ok. I'd even tolerate some weight gain if waist doesn't go up. But if I get to the end of novice LP and waist and BF are not down, then I'll try a cut again.

Mark: Thanks, but I still struggle with 'geezer', and even more so with 'elderly'. Elderly is my 89yo father and his walker. Maybe he wouldn't need a walker if he had been stronger. 'geezer' is what I fear the cute 50 yo women who I play golf with might think of me if I don't get in shape. ;-)

Will: cherished isthmus? Mendota-Monona?

Friends. I'm glad I discovered this tread.

I'm a little like Paladin and would like feedback because I'm nowhere near you guys (yet).

Like you, no past experience but started 5 months ago at 70. Everybody thought I was crazy. I had arrived at a sink or swim dead end: chronic arthritis in the knees, my quads had melted to almost being unable to climb up but especially down stairs. I was offered spinal surgery, knee replacement, you name it! I said "no way" so I was tossed a bone and "well all you got left is therapy".

I'm a semi retired surgeon and I know some of the ropes. I said therapy means exercise… Then, as a stroke of luck, I discovered SSBBT.

It has changed my life. I do 3, 75 min. workouts a week. Have no Coach around (I live in the French countryside) only local gym jocks but they don't help much. I stay concentrated on the book and the video.

I started slow and worked up to:
    SQ @ 127 x 5 x 3, Press 66 x 5 x 3, DL 167 x 3 x 3, BP 13 x 5 x 3 + curls etc.
    … then hit a wall. I said to myself this is not possible despite my age (6,1 198 lbs.). My form must be off.

So I backed off 60% and am starting over and adding only 2 to 3 lbs per workout. The only thing I feel I'm doing right is DL: I hit 176.

My question is this: do you think I'm still doing too much, wrong? Or am I on the right track and at a good pace?

Obviously, my weakest point are my quads. If I can't finish a set I leave it for the next time.

Thanks for your feed-back
    Last edited by FRECHETTE; 11-26-2014 at 02:32 AM. Reason: spelling

starting strength coach development program
    Welcome. Your best bet is to start your own thread. That way we can respond to you and not get this fellow's area off track. I'll respond to you on your thread.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast