Thread: 64 yo Barbell Neophyte Trying Novice LP

Default Week 22 session 2, Novice LP pretty much over except for squats

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    03/19

Squats: 45x5x2, 95x5, 135x5, 175x5, 195x2, 217.5x5 PR, 200x5x2
    Press: 45x5x2, 65x5, 75x2, 85x3, 75x5x2
    Assisted Chins @100lbs: 8 x "neutral grip 1", 10 x "chin grip", 7 x "neutral grip 2"

I think I've had some kind of bug for about a week. Didn't feel great a week ago and then again Monday, but had good workouts. Felt better today but no energy. This was about my worst day in a while, maybe since I started. Been to the doctor, tests inconclusive, been taking antibiotics, not sure for what.

Went up as planned on squat, but it was my hardest squat set ever, and as close to a fail as I've ever been. I didn't think I could do two more sets, neither did my trainer. So we did backoff sets. No outright fails, but my first "miss" on squat LP.

Struggled on press too, so just did two backoffs even lower than last time.

Experimented with assisted chins instead of lat pulldowns. We had talked before about doing this.

Nordic walked 4.75 miles yesterday, but took Tuesday off.

Default Wrapup

I'm going to end this log. Perhaps I'll start a new one as a continuation. But, first of all, the title is no longer really appropriate. I'm still 64 but just received my medicare card. Ugh. Makes me feel really old. For another, after close to 6 months of barbell training I don't think I'm quite a neophyte any longer. Still pretty inexperienced compared to many of you though. And, novice LP is over for me. I might have been able to continue the novice LP program for squats for a while longer. But, as of this week I'm transitioning to my summer program and summer schedule. Even though it snowed briefly yesterday.

I hope to continue slow progress, or maintain at worst. But I want less stress and more schedule flexibility for the summer. Next fall/winter I intend to step it up again. Plus, I'd really like to work on getting my waist size down more. That will mean a bit of a calorie cut which will probably hinder strength progress too.

To recap, I did 3 weeks of learning the barbell lifts, followed by 22 weeks of attempted "novice LP".

Starting bodyweight, 203-204, current BW 207-208. I dipped down as low as 200, though not on purpose, and have been as high as 210, though the dip from 210 to where I am now was not on purpose either. Height 6'1".

Starting waist at the widest (just below umbilicus) was 40.5", now 39.75". Still too much.

Medical lab tests (lipids etc) before, and as of 3 weeks ago, no real change of significance. BP seems up slightly in the doc's office, but I really question the consistency of these measurements.

Worksets:
    Squats: 95x5x3 -> 215x5x3. Also 217.5x5x1 last week and yesterday.
    Deadlift: 160x5 -> 250x5. Also 255x2 yesterday.
    Bench Press: 80x5x3 -> 115x5x3. Also 117.5x5x1 yesterday, and in recent weeks 120x4x1, and 122.5x3x1
    Press: 45x5x3 -> 80x5x3. Also in recent weeks 82.5x4x3 and 85x3x1
    Lat Pulldowns: 70x10x2 -> 105x10x3. Also last week 110x10, x8, x7.

You will be missed, but for my purposes you stopped just in time. I.e., You've caught me on the Squat but not on the other lifts. I can breath more easily for a couple of months anyway. Good work. I hope you get back to it soon. Have a great summer. I'm curious, at 64 how did you get on Medicare?

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    I'm curious, at 64 how did you get on Medicare?
    I have my card but its not effective just yet. They cover me starting the month I turn 65, which is in May.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    I'm going to end this log. Perhaps I'll start a new one as a continuation. But, first of all, the title is no longer really appropriate. I'm still 64 but just received my medicare card. Ugh. Makes me feel really old. For another, after close to 6 months of barbell training I don't think I'm quite a neophyte any longer. Still pretty inexperienced compared to many of you though. And, novice LP is over for me. I might have been able to continue the novice LP program for squats for a while longer. But, as of this week I'm transitioning to my summer program and summer schedule. Even though it snowed briefly yesterday.

I hope to continue slow progress, or maintain at worst. But I want less stress and more schedule flexibility for the summer. Next fall/winter I intend to step it up again. Plus, I'd really like to work on getting my waist size down more. That will mean a bit of a calorie cut which will probably hinder strength progress too.

To recap, I did 3 weeks of learning the barbell lifts, followed by 22 weeks of attempted "novice LP".

Starting bodyweight, 203-204, current BW 207-208. I dipped down as low as 200, though not on purpose, and have been as high as 210, though the dip from 210 to where I am now was not on purpose either. Height 6'1".

Starting waist at the widest (just below umbilicus) was 40.5", now 39.75". Still too much.

Medical lab tests (lipids etc) before, and as of 3 weeks ago, no real change of significance. BP seems up slightly in the doc's office, but I really question the consistency of these measurements.

Worksets:
    Squats: 95x5x3 -> 215x5x3. Also 217.5x5x1 last week and yesterday.
    Deadlift: 160x5 -> 250x5. Also 255x2 yesterday.
    Bench Press: 80x5x3 -> 115x5x3. Also 117.5x5x1 yesterday, and in recent weeks 120x4x1, and 122.5x3x1
    Press: 45x5x3 -> 80x5x3. Also in recent weeks 82.5x4x3 and 85x3x1
    Lat Pulldowns: 70x10x2 -> 105x10x3. Also last week 110x10, x8, x7.
    Ok, you be back again, have a nice summer!!//Lars

Default Update

Well, my summer program got off to an inauspicious start. The first week into it, I got what started out as a mild chest cold. Eventually progressed to pneumonia and had to miss my first workouts since I started last September. Once the symptoms cleared I restarted LP with a reset. Its taken 5 weeks but I'm pretty much back to where I left off. Matched PRs on squat and press. New PRs on bench for reps at previous weight. DL could only do 250x4 today vs 250x5 PR. Might have been able to do 5 but form was deteriorating.

So now restarting my original plan for a summer program. I will be 65 next week.

The main takeaway? Coming back from layoff due to illness has been longer and harder than I was expecting.

Good to see you back, and fighting with the weights!

starting strength coach development program
    Good to see you back. Hope you keep up the log. I've added it to my geezer tracker to check on periodically. Cause I'm snoopy like that.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678