• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Had a good workout today until a little misfortune at the end.... Lol

Squats(beltless)

Warm ups
    2 @ 255
    3x5 @ 280
    Recorded my last set again.. I'm posting this from phone, I'll post video when I'm home. The person recording me was telling me that its about tome my tall ass started using a belt to help keep my core stable. You'll see in the vid.

Bench(wristwraps)
    Borrowed some, first time using wraps.. felt useful
    Warm ups then
    3 @ 185
    5 @ 205 PR. (5 LB jump from last week)
    2x4 @ 205 I could tell on the 4th rep I would fail the fifth.. so I didn't attempt

Powercleans...
    So this is when shit got weird.

Warmed up to 3 @ 140
    Then one side of the bar felt really heavy..
    Checked the weights.. nothing wrong.
    Did another rep...
    Felt heavier and really odd...
    Looked down.. bolt had come out of the left side and the plates were an extra foot from the center.
    Got the bar fixed ..

Then, as I started my next set..in the middle of it... a worker came up to me and told me I couldn't power clean with iron plates.
    1. I was setting each rep down and resetting
    2. I was on the sturdier deadlift platform.

I'm not sure why... But this really pissed me off. I behaved.acknowledged and Smiled. racked the weights and left the gym.
    Am I wrong to assume these other folks with 175-225 lbs worth of bumper plates..dropping them from head height are actually damaging platforms more than I from setting down iron plates after every rep?

Maybe I'm an ignorant newb.. but I'm upset. I know it's not that big of a deal. to much caffeine and mid-workout hormones to be more rational at the time. I'll get over it.
    Last edited by Piper; 12-29-2014 at 05:24 PM.

BW @ 207.5
    https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater

my apologies for the glare and shitty video quality.

I think I'll have plenty of time to hit the the 220 mark at a slightly less sloppy body composition for the meet May 23rd. In the meantime, slop on!

Good looking squats.

Thanks, man.
    I'll try to figure a way to get my bench recorded.. i'm at a point where I need the lift off if I'm going to finish the set based on LP.. so I'd have to involve two people.. and that makes me feel high-maintenance.

So here's a question..

Today on my 5 @ 205 and 2x4 @ 205.. although the first set was a real struggle.. and I could not have finished my last sets by lack of strength.. I'm home now.. and my upper body barely feels like I did anything today.
    is that a sign to switch to TM? or should I move up by 2.5 and maybe add an extra set?

I ask because.. my deadlifts... press.. and squat I think can still progress from LP for another few weeks.

Run with LP as long as you can, and I would try repeating 205 next workout with longer rest periods.

Hey Hey!
    BW: ~208 (wearing sweatpants today for deadlift.. so probably about the same)

Squats [BELTED (but with a shitty, thin, used belt I found hanging on a rack in the gym)]
    Warm-ups --Then
    1x3 @ 255
    3x5 @ 285
    https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater

Press (beltless)
    Warm-up--Then
    1x3 @ 95
    3x(4) @ 120
    did not have the strength left over for a fifth rep. not worth attempting on the first set. attempted and failed on the second set. did not attempt on the 3rd set.
    I've been microloading with 1.25lb plates on each side for about a month now. maybe I need to switch to .5s. Also.. I'm suspect to believe that the press part of my motion is working well.. but I think I'm burning excess energy when I bring the weight back down.. I'll post a video next wednesday on my press day.

Deadlift (beltless)
    Warm-up--Then
    2 @ 315 (overhand)
    5 @ 370 (alternate)
    While challenging..I felt I could have jumped to 375 and still made it. I'm not sure if my deadlifts are just exploding from growth or from taking in some more technique advice. I was advised to keep the bar over my mid foot as the reps progressed so that my shins would be less vertical.. I did this.. and REALLY held some breaths and tightened the shit out of my back. This did cause some of my warm-up sets of 5 to take longer.. and feel a little more aerobically tired afterwards... but the pulls were consistently strong in the top set.. and I didn't even have to work too terribly hard to keep my back in alignment.. even without a belt still.

Deadlift is clearly what I would consider "my lift"...even though it gases me more than any other lift.. I enjoy it, I've consistently progressed on it without stalling.. and compared to the rest of my lifts.. I think its disproportionately strong after only 16 weeks of training. Probably my build.. whatever. I fucking love deadlifting.

I did not gain weight for the other holidays....but I will today. The Moms has made Mexican cornbread, blackeyed peas with ham, and kale..
    So I will be heading there posthaste!
    Let's see what I'll weigh tomorrow...

had to miss training today due to lack of transportation.. hopefully I'll be able to get a ride tomorrow and figure out how to reset my schedule.
    damnit.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm back, bitches!
    Soo, I missed Friday's workout due to transportation and gym hour constraints..Friday night I came down with flu symptoms and was out of commission until today.. still felt congested, coughy, and tingly in the cranium..but 5 days ofd and two missed workouts was enough for me.
    Apparently the procedure for this is to go back and redo your past successful workout weights... Nahhh

BW: 210 (yeah, I gained two lbs with the flu, WHAT!)

SQUAT(BELTED)
    warm-up-then
    3x225
    2x255
    1x275
    3x5@290

Bench(belted)
    Warm-up then
    3@185
    3x5@205 (PR)

Pull-ups. 6,5,3

Thought about using a prowler for the first time.. people looked too busy to ask for guidance.. I'll watch a video and throw it in after Saturdays workout.
    Exhausted.. but..I made it!

Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast