• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    hello,

5'10" 195-200 lbs, 45 y.o.

bench 225

squat 265

deadlift 345

i have exercised all my life, i started training about 8 months ago. in some ways i wish i had learned the difference years ago, but then again this opens up new roads for the rest of my days.

as of this past march, i was benching zero since i had strained something in my left shoulder back in the fall of 2013. through slow hard work i made it back to the bar and have made progress. i was never a good presser, so i am happy where i am. for now.

i literally started at bar weight and worked my way up to learn the movements, then i did/do the 5/3/1 program this past year. when i hit a bump i did volume work, then started back up. i suppose i could have higher numbers but

1) technique is more important to me
    2) i have limited reps when i am at 90% +. sucks being old when the brain says go , i guess i will get there slower.

any how, i had the infinite wisdom to sign up for a powerlifting meet, and it is 11 weeks away. if anyone passes by and has some suggestions i would like some recommendations how to prepare over these next 2.5 months and peak for showtime.

i know i am not going to "win", i am not there for that now. i need to go out there and do "MY" best this first time out.

it is a humbling pleasure to be here, thank you all in advance for what you have to offer.

I don't have much to say besides Welcome. I did enter my first competition this past March and won my division. Of course, I was the only one in it at 67. Still, I had begun 531 about a month before competition and it prepared me quite well for it. I only entered DL since I'm not very good at anything else. My first lift was my 3 X 5 best at 275. My second was 5 pounds heavier than I had ever lifted even once. My third lift was a shot at the moon and I made that one as well. You are a young fellow so your prep will probably be much more strenuous and heavier than mine.

last workout of 2014

some dl volume 225 x5 250x5 275 x 5 300 x 5

weighted pullups +5 x6x6x6x6

straight leg raises 14 13 10

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    I don't have much to say besides Welcome. I did enter my first competition this past March and won my division. Of course, I was the only one in it at 67. Still, I had begun 531 about a month before competition and it prepared me quite well for it. I only entered DL since I'm not very good at anything else. My first lift was my 3 X 5 best at 275. My second was 5 pounds heavier than I had ever lifted even once. My third lift was a shot at the moon and I made that one as well. You are a young fellow so your prep will probably be much more strenuous and heavier than mine.
    thanks carson. any motivation helps. i am glad to hear there is hope for my future if you're going strong at 67. keep up the good work.

Welcome t the group! You are wise to focus on technique - yet, your current numbers clearly show that you have a solid foundation. For the next 6 weeks, I'd just do a linear progression with as big jumps as you dare, and lots of volume. Others here can chime in on how to prepare for during the last few weeks. Also, I'd suggest you check out the weight classes so you don't end up just a pound over and slide into the next higher group.

Creatine might help getting more reps near max effort. Seems to work for me. I use the cheapest creatine monohydrate.

Will you be doing any Overhead Presses? Rip suggests that OHP is better even than the Bench for training. I'd follow peez's suggestion until the last couple of weeks. Then taper off as I did. That last week should be with lighter weights than max just so your body doesn't forget what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by peez View Post
    Welcome t the group! You are wise to focus on technique - yet, your current numbers clearly show that you have a solid foundation. For the next 6 weeks, I'd just do a linear progression with as big jumps as you dare, and lots of volume. Others here can chime in on how to prepare for during the last few weeks. Also, I'd suggest you check out the weight classes so you don't end up just a pound over and slide into the next higher group.

Creatine might help getting more reps near max effort. Seems to work for me. I use the cheapest creatine monohydrate.
    definitely more volume.

i have checked the weight categories and i will be able to make the "lower" category.
    thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Will you be doing any Overhead Presses? Rip suggests that OHP is better even than the Bench for training. I'd follow peez's suggestion until the last couple of weeks. Then taper off as I did. That last week should be with lighter weights than max just so your body doesn't forget what to do.
    i agree 1000% but my shoulders do not like overhead presses very well. i have tried many times. what does work well for my shoulders are inverted presses on paralettes- mini parallel bars. head down, feet elevated, and i gradually raise the level of my feet over time. it is an assistance exercise so I am not really killing it but i really like the exercise. what i am able to do here is really get my elbows inside my hands as i descend.i can't do it well with pressing a barbell. whatever the biomechanics are, my shoulders feel great and triceps get a lot of work, too. i'm OK if i am eventually able to do handstand pushups, i guess... after my meet i will reevaluate the OH press situation as well.

thanks

1/6/15
    bench 175 x 5 195 x 4 215 x1x1x1
    squat 185 x 10 205 x 7 225 x 5
    ghr +12.5 x 10x10x10 pullups +7.5 x6x5x4x4 straight leg raises (slr) 15 13 10

1/7 calisthenics

1/8 squat 225x5 235x5 245x3
    bench 175x5 195x5
    pullups 7.5x6x6x5x3 ghr 12.5 x10x10x10 slr 15 13 10

1/9 calisthenics

1/10
    deadlift 225x5 250x5 275x5 305x5
    ghr12.5 x10x10x10 pullups +7.5 x6x6x6x4 slr 15 13 11

1/12
    bench 185x3 205x3 225x1
    squat 190x10 205x7 230x5
    pullups +7.5 x7x6x5x5 ghr 12.5 x10x10x10 slr 15 13 12

thanks

starting strength coach development program
    1/13 calisthenics

1/14 workout cancelled, wife ran over a deer. she's OK, bumper a little fubar, button buck DOA. got to take the deer home and gave the kids an anatomy lesson. having the hide tanned with fur on. a friend took the meat, said it was in vg condition. everything used, no tax burden on the citizens to have highway dept clean up. thank you deer for your gift.

1/16 wed workout today, no dl this week
    squat 225x5 245x5 255x1
    bench 185x3x3 200x1x1x1x1x1- practicing technique @ 200lbs
    pullups +7.5 x7x6x6x5
    ghr+12.5 x10x10x10

thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast