starting strength gym
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Bubbafat's log. I'm that fat weak guy at the gym.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Good job on the weight loss so far!

You are supposed to deadlift every workout for the first couple of weeks to let your deadlift initially get "way out ahead" of your power clean. Likewise, feel free to add more than 5 lbs to your deads if you feel comfortable. Eventually you will reach the point where you are adding 5 lbs to your squat every workout and only adding 5 lbs to your deadlift every other workout so you want your deadlift to get "way out ahead" to start.

As for the running/nutrition part of it. Remember, if you were able to lift more weight than last time, you're doing it right. That's the whole point. There may come a time when you need to cut back on the running or eat more to get from 270 to 300 on your squat but you can cross that road when you come to it. For now just remember, if you lifted 5 lbs more than last time (while maintaining good form) you did it right. Also, in you situation, you can probably continue to lose about a pound a week without interfering with your strength gains. You might want to also track your waist in addition to your weight. If your weight stays the same but your waist gets thinner that means you are making progress.

Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by peez View Post
    160g of protein may be on the low side. Protein increases satiety as I am sure you know, a little extra won't hurt. I'm much smaller that you are and aim for >200g on most days.
    If you're suggesting that I eat more steak and eggs then I'm on board. Going from 80g to 160g was a nice change from a diet perspective. To get to 200g I think I'd try a breakdown like:

Protein: 200g
    Carb: 125g
    Fat: 77g

Hitting around 2000kcal/day.

This assumes I'm not feeling fatigued and don't stall out the progression - in either case I'd likely need to boost my intake.

Quote Originally Posted by peez View Post
    How tall and old are you?
    38, 5'11" (180cm).

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    You are supposed to deadlift every workout for the first couple of weeks to let your deadlift initially get "way out ahead" of your power clean.
    Thanks. At the start of chapter 8 (3rd ed.) in the "Learning the Lifts" section Rip states that I should learn the clean during the second workout but then in the next section says to do deads every session for the first few weeks. So I decided to do the clean in my first B session to set the baseline but then use the program's advice - as you stated - to focus only deads until the quick gains are done. Frankly this will be easier since my gym (YMCA) wasn't too keen on me doing cleans. No - I wasn't dropping the bar - I was using the highly advanced technique Rip teaches.

Likewise, feel free to add more than 5 lbs to your deads if you feel comfortable.
    That's the plan.

As for the running/nutrition part of it. Remember, if you were able to lift more weight than last time, you're doing it right. That's the whole point.
    This is what made me gravitate towards SS over any number of other programs. I would make gains on all of them - back in high school when I wrestled and played football I was able to move heavy things so I know I'm capable - but SS measures progress with a very simple metric: Are you adding weight or not. It's a binary equation. That's a level of simplicity I can get behind.

cut back on the running or eat more to get from 270 to 300 on your squat but you can cross that road when you come to it.
    I'll try eating more first. Eat more and still get out in the woods? Win/win.

you can probably continue to lose about a pound a week without interfering with your strength gains. You might want to also track your waist in addition to your weight. If your weight stays the same but your waist gets thinner that means you are making progress.
    Yup - basically what Rip said in the Nutrition and Bodyweight section:

"If you're three months into the program at 30% bodyfat, your waistline has not gone down 4 inches, and your squat is not up at least 150 pounds, YNDTP."

I appreciated how he didn't talk about progress in terms of pounds lost but rather the physical changes associated with muscle gain and fat loss even without a change in weight.

If you're suggesting that I eat more steak and eggs
    Yes! These days I add protein shakes (25g of protein) halfway between 7AM breakfast and 12:30PM lunch and between lunch and dinner. We have them at the office ... they are a nice lower calorie option (150 kcal) and keep my dinner portions smaller ... but I'd prefer steak and eggs!

January 30, 2015 - Session A

Squat - 3x5x145. Warm ups of 45, 65, 90 and 110
    Bench -3x5x120. Warm ups of 45, 65, 95 and 115
    Dead - 1x5x185. Warm ups of 65, 85, 145, 165

Squats were so much better today. I had much more depth and my legs weren't screaming like the last two times. I think the initial pain of waking up my legs is over and they are aware that we're doing shit now.

I was wrong about my earlier bench numbers. It was only 115. As I loaded weights I realized that and adjusted. Probably could have done more but without a spotter I'm not confident yet. Slow and steady.

Added 60 to my dead. I feel like I could have done quite a bit more but I'll let the progression happen over time. I can tell I worked out but I'm not hurting. That seems reasonable. Switching to bumper plates helped with starting light and not having to constantly reload the bar.

I spent quite a bit of time reading, re-reading and watching Rip's Deadlift videos. My first attempts were all wrong. I didn't have a proper stance, my feet weren't in the right position and my grip was wrong. When I fixed those issues, the warm ups were so much easier than last time. When I got to my intended weight of 145 it was abundantly clear that I was selling myself short. 185 gave me a workout but wasn't "hard" - I could have probably done another 20-30 lbs or another 5 reps. I'll just leave that as gas in the tank for next time.

Rant ...

My YMCA has two flat bench press stations and two inclines. I wanted a flat. There is a guy there clearly doing an LP routine (we chatted a bit - he is doing Strong Lifts) and there is this other guy. Dude looks like he works out. Looks a hell of a lot better than me, for sure. So anyway, he saves the bench with his towel and loads a pair of 45#. Then he goes back to the machines and does some ab thing and this push down thing - I have no idea ... it looked like something my mom would do. Then he comes back to the bench and lays under the bar - fine ... just warming up ... and he grabs the bar ... and waits ... and waits ... and then sits up.

WTF?

Then he goes and does 3 chin ups and some lat pull downs (loaded all the weight and laid almost parallel to the ground grunting like he is shitting out a Yugo).

Comes back to the bench and repeats the "lay down but not lift" routine.

Sits up ... checks his phone ... gets a drink of water ... checks his phone ...

Then he lays back and knocks out 3 presses with the weight bouncing off his rib cage like a basketball, number four barely makes it up and on 5 he brings it half way down, realizes he is in trouble and struggles it back up onto the rack.

Checks his phone, grabs his towel and leaves.

Almost 30 minutes. 4.5 presses.

Seriously?

Was the whole point to be seen with "the big plates" on the bar or what? I don't fucking get it. I'm loading 10# plates and feeling like a pussy but whatever. The other guy doing an LP sees me doing that and walks over to say "Man, I hate starting small. I feel silly. But I finish strong so fuck'em."

I'd recommend a butt whippin' for the bro. The other guys seems to get it. Either take matters into your own hands with the rude fellow and suggest that when he's not actually using the rack that he let others use it. Or you might get some supervisor to assist you in having that person reiterate the need for common courtesy.

You didn't finish the DL log. I assume you completed the 185 X 5 set. Keep up the good work.

I may have missed it but what is your age?

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    You didn't finish the DL log. I assume you completed the 185 X 5 set. Keep up the good work.
    I did. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    I may have missed it but what is your age?

You are a strapping young lad. You should benefit greatly from this adventure. I wish I had started 30 years ago.

It's a rest day so no lifting today.

I had a 5 mile trail race this morning - I know ... that's not rest ... but I registered months ago and I've been looking forward to it. My goals was to not come in last - I met that goal.

I also spent a little time working on the squat form stretching from the SS book. As I read more it is clear that both my form and my grip are not correct so some time getting comfortable with a more correct position seems like a reasonable way to use a rest day (since it is stretching too).

Weighed in this morning. Despite slashing cardio and bumping calories by another 500/day, my weight is the same over 3 days. I consider that a win. I'll keep checking for the next 2 weeks or so while I figure out the right intake to keep losing one pound a week while getting enough to maximize my strength gains.

starting strength coach development program
    "Hey man, could I work in with you?" will usually do the trick, particularly if it's only one person on the bench.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast