Thread: SL1111 SS Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    3/4/15
    sq 190
    press 90
    dl 280

Breaking into the 200 and 300 pound ranges next sesion!!!!!

and the 100 also, soon!

Alright, super pumped today as it felt like a milestone!

Squat 200lbs
    Bench 145lbs
    Dead Lift 300lbs

I may transition to cleans depending on my dead lift recovery tomorrow. If I feel good next go round I will continue with DL, but 3x a week is starting to get heavy on the deads!!!!

Duplicate post. Can we delete our own posts?
    Last edited by sl1111; 03-07-2015 at 01:06 PM. Reason: duplicate

Quote Originally Posted by peez View Post
    and the 100 also, soon!
    Yes sir, next session. Although I am not as excited about it as I feel I started way light on the press on my first session. I am just adding weight as prescribed for LP as I don’t want to screw it up. I may however jump it up 20lbs to get it a little more in line with the rest of my lifts. Thanks for following my thread. Nice to know others look at these as I read a lot of other ones…..

All of my lifts felt very heavy today. I only went up 15 lbs on the dead and it felt like 50. Moved inside my power rack today for the first time on squats just in case I needed the safety bars, made them all, but it was nice to know the safety was there if needed.

SQ 210 lbs
    Press 110 lbs
    Dead Lift 315 lbs

3/11/15
    Squat 220
    Bench 155
    Dead Lift 325

Last 2 reps of Dead Lift were brutal and pretty sure I broke form on the last one. I think its a recovery issue as I am still dead lifting every workout. This was my second full ABA- BAB cycle so it may be time to introduce Cleans to gain some rest time between workouts.

I felt it time to do an update as I have noticed the views of my thread are growing even though there have not been many comments from others. I search these forums for info and I realize I keep my log pretty streamline so it may not be much use for many looking for info. I figured I would add some stats today so it may help others. I also missed my first lift today so I thought it appropriate to update as I start my first reset or re attempt…..

I started SS back in February of this year. I am 5’10 and 42 years old. I will be 43 in May. I had previously lost 55lbs on a low carb diet with very little exercise over a one and half year period. I got down to 185lbs from 240lbs and I could not maintain it. I stayed low carb but added functional Crossfit style work outs for the last 6 months before starting the SS program. My body weight had settled at about 195 with low carb diet and functional training. I noticed that my conditioning was pretty good, but I was weak in WODS requiring barbell movements. I started concentrating on barbell movements as accessories to my WODS and found that I really enjoyed barbell training. I am a firefighter by trade and my partner at work owns a Crossfit box and is a Level 3 coach. I explained to him that I wanted to be stronger for the WODS and he pointed me toward SS. He suggested I ditch the functional conditioning all together for now and concentrate on 100% strength. He has been to Rips seminars through Crossfit and he is also certified with Coach Bergener. He then offered to coach me with the lifts as needed.
    I train at home and at the station. I have a power rack and a full set of bumpers at both locations. As off 2 workouts ago I had to buy 2 more 45lb plates as I ran out of weight (good problem to have). Today was day 1 of week #5 and I have completed 13 SS workouts. I happened to start on a Saturday at the station so my workouts have been Saturday, Monday, Wends day. This may change depending on 911 activity at work, but so far I have not missed a workout.

Starting stats on February 14th 2015:
    42yo male, 5 foot 10, 196lbs, I am guessing my BF% to be in the 26 to 29% Range as per my last 2 physicals for work.
    1st week starting weights:
    Squat 95lbs 3x5
    Press 55lbs 3x5
    Bench 105 3x5
    Dead Lift 145 1x5

Today, week 5 stats with increases:
    Body weight 206lbs= 10lb increase without significant body fat change
    Squat 225lbs 3x5= 130lb increase
    Press 115lbs 3x5= 60lb increase
    Bench 155lbs= 50lb increase
    Dead Lift 330lbs 1x1 with failed second rep (first fail in program, I will reset and try again, first rep was a success but very hard, Second rep I got about an inch up before failure)
    Dead Lift 325lbs 1x5 last workout was successful= 180lb increase

So even though I only got 330 up one time today, I had success at 325 last workout. I am pleased with a 180lb increase in 5 weeks.

Diet has been the hardest part. I have been a low carb, low calorie guy for so long that I can’t wrap my head around the carb and calorie requirements. I am trying hard to shovel more in as needed though!!!
    I welcome questions or comments and hope maybe this info can help someone else.

Good progress. Don't worry about the Deads, or any of the others for that matter, as Linear Progression comes to its end you will find that you will miss some marks. Do them again and as the book tells us, when you fail 3 times it may be that you are entering an advanced stage. In some ways the advanced stage is a bit harder because it takes longer to make gains as your body adapts to new tears and healing which means more strength. You may not reach the end of Linear progression for some time. You may go up several more pounds. Then again, maybe not. It doesn't matter. This is a carefully designed program which helps us develop great strength safely.

starting strength coach development program
    Squat 230lbs, I have been videoing my squats and deads since I broke 200 and 300 lbs on those lifts to assure form. 230 today looked a little suspect on squats, maybe like an inch high on a few reps. 225 last workout was solid and below parallel. I will do a very light weight bump next workout and assure depth. I will video again to double check.
    Bench 165lbs
    Power cleans 105lbs, first time introducing these. Did all the practice as the book describes. Then worked up to 105lbs for 5 sets of 3.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast