starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SL1111 SS Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    My job finally got in the way of my workouts. I had been on a Saturday, Monday, Wednesday split with thursday,fri off. I was on duty Monday through Wednesday this week working extra shifts and I had to miss Wednesday's workout due to back to back fire calls. So back at it today and will just shift to Sun,Tue,Thur scheme until the next interruption......

I had some issues with the 330lb deadlift last workout. I failed it after one rep. I had pulled 325 for 5 the workout before and I had been on the deadlift every workout cycle. After failing 330 I figured I wasn't getting the needed recovery doing DL every workout, so I transitioned to the alternating power clean/ deadlift program this week. I went back and read the DL info in the book and studied the forums about being one inch from the bar and not worrying about hip height, but rather chest height and squeezing the bar off the ground. I had also planned to deload to 300 and continue on from there on my next DL day. So with every intention of doing 300 for 5 today I worked up to 300lbs. After the first pull it felt really good, not easy, but no issues, so I sat it down and loaded 330. Success as I concentrated on my renewed form and squeezed 330lbs of the floor for 5.......
    Squats up 5lbs and filmed to assure depth and all is well.

So todays stats:
    SQ 235 with good depth and form
    Press 120
    DL 330

3/22/15
    SQ 240
    Bench 170
    Clean 110 5 sets of 3

At the fire station today.
    Squat 245
    Press 125
    Squat, did the appropriate warm up sets up to 305 and loaded 335 on the bar. Pulled it once and got a 911 run. Came back and did the warm up over again to 305 and then loaded 335 on the bar. Just as I took my stance we got another 911 call. The second call took it out of me so decided to wait and pull 335 next workout.

3/26/15
    Not my best day, but I got a workout in anyway. 3 day (72hr) shift ended this morning and I was pretty beat up. I am hoping that was the cause of my failed DL today.... I actually had 2 failures but one was my fault for breaking form. To top it off I left my lifting shoes at the station so I had to lift in running shoes today.

SQ 247- I only went up 2 pounds as I didn’t feel reel solid during warm up sets with my running shoes

BP 172- This was the "my fault fail", started my work set at 175 (+5 from last time). Lifting at home today by myself so I am using my power rack with safeties as I have no spotter. 3rd rep at 175 is feeling a little heavy and I break form and de-arch my back, this in turn lowers my chest and the bar hits the left safety jacking my set as I count recover from it. Let the bar down on the safeties and slide out from under it. Since I broke form I decided to deload to 172 and started over. Completed 3x5 at 172. I probably should have just rested and finished at 175, but in the heat of the moment 172 sounded like a good idea....

DL- After being interrupted 2 times at 335lbs 2 days ago (see previous post), I figured I would get it in today. Warm up sets through 305 went great. Loaded 335 and could budge it off the ground for even one rep. Rested and tried again without success. Deload to 332 to see if it’s mental and failed again. Deload to 330 (my previous 5 rep max) and give it a pull and only succeed in getting 1 rep. Failed around knee height on the second pull.

So no big gains in weight today. 2 pound bumps in LP for the squat and bench, with a horrible DL day.
    Now I need to decide if I try 335 next DL day or deload and work back up? If anyone is reading this, what do you think?

Missed a few updates here so I will just give you my current #'s and any needed back story.

4-13-15
    squat 270
    Bench 180
    Dead Lift 330

42 yo male, increases listed below.
    Body weight 216, plus 20lbs from start 2 months ago.
    Squat +175
    Press +75
    BP +75
    Dead Lift +175, I had previously failed at 335lbs and after a couple of attempts I deloaded for my first reset. Worked back to 330 today. We will know if it worked when I attempt 335 on Friday.
    Power Clean +25, I have only been doing these for 2 weeks and I am struggling with form and they are a work in progress with lots of practice.

starting strength coach development program
    4-16-15
    Bad news, I hurt my back during the dead lift today. Pulling 305 during the warm up and felt a large pop/tear in my mid right back and side. With my limited anatomy training and the help of a friend who is both an MD and Chiro we suspect it is in the lower lat between my hip and rib cage. He said it may have possibly been a intercostal if not the lat. I have rested it for 4 days and it does feel better today. Tomorrow I will start the Star rehab procedure. I will also use the time to re introduce my low carb diet as to shed a few pounds during the rehab. going to treat it as a cut of sorts. If you have followed my log at all you will see that the 335lb dead lift has been my nemesis for a few weeks....... I probably won't update my log much during rehab, but will do a follow up later.
    Current stats
    Sq 275
    Bp 185
    Press 130
    Pc125
    DL 330, injured at 305 during warm up.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123