Bingley's Bumbling Along Bingley's Bumbling Along - Page 188

starting strength gym
Page 188 of 254 FirstFirst ... 88138178186187188189190198238 ... LastLast
Results 1,871 to 1,880 of 2531

Thread: Bingley's Bumbling Along

  1. #1871
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,349

    Default

    • starting strength seminar april 2021
    • starting strength seminar june 2021
    • starting strength seminar august 2021
    tues 6/19/18
    sq 45 1x10, 135 1x5, 225 1x5, 275 2x5
    dl 225 1x5, 295 1x4

    man, i was completely gassed today. no idea why. que sera

  2. #1872
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    12,578

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    they don't, methinks. I have the orange seatbelts you gave me a couple of years ago...
    Wow. Their sibling straps are still in service as well. They're not the simplest style of strap to use. Maybe time to consider investing in a pair of lasso- or dowel-style?

  3. #1873
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,349

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Wow. Their sibling straps are still in service as well. They're not the simplest style of strap to use. Maybe time to consider investing in a pair of lasso- or dowel-style?
    no, they're not lol. sometimes I get them spot-on and other times, well not so much!
    Last edited by Mr. Bingley; 06-20-2018 at 09:42 AM. Reason: ingrish iz tuff

  4. #1874
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,349

    Default

    tues 6/26/18
    sq 45 1x10, 135 1x5, 225 1x5, 275 2x5

    meh, only had time for sq. Tuesdays are time challenged

  5. #1875
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,349

    Default

    thurs 6/28/18
    sq 45 1x10, 135 1x5, 225 1x5, 265 1x5, 295 3x5
    rp 225 1x5, 295 1x5, 335 1x5, 405 1x2, 1x1

    felt better than i expected, which is always a good thing.

  6. #1876
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York
    Posts
    2,202

    Default

    I see you're doing rack pulls, but not the other half; halting deadlifts. Do you think those might be helpful, as a pull off the floor, to get you to a 4 plate deadlift. You're already halfway there on the top half of the lift.

  7. #1877
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,349

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Watson View Post
    I see you're doing rack pulls, but not the other half; halting deadlifts. Do you think those might be helpful, as a pull off the floor, to get you to a 4 plate deadlift. You're already halfway there on the top half of the lift.
    I've thought about those, but i'm thinking that, since my issue is getting the 4 plates moving off the floor, that maybe deficits would be better?

  8. #1878
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    I've thought about those, but i'm thinking that, since my issue is getting the 4 plates moving off the floor, that maybe deficits would be better?
    Not an expert by any means, but I have read about deficits vs. haltings and the primary argument to be made for the halting is that the deficit trains a range of motion that is not used in the conventional deadlift. I.e., you won't pull the actual deadlift 1 - 2 inches lower than normal, so why train that portion of the ROM?

    Just a thought.

  9. #1879
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York
    Posts
    2,202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    I've thought about those, but i'm thinking that, since my issue is getting the 4 plates moving off the floor, that maybe deficits would be better?
    I think anything that trains the lift off the floor could help.
    Haltings are recommended by people with more experience than me, as are deficits, and pausing deadlifts an inch off the floor before finishing the lift.
    A backoff deadlift set might work too for more volume.

    I don't know which variation is best. I've only gotten 375x2x2 on deadlifts using just deadlifts.
    I haven't done rack pull/haltings long enough for it to work yet, due to too many missed sessions.

  10. #1880
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,349

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schexnayder View Post
    Not an expert by any means, but I have read about deficits vs. haltings and the primary argument to be made for the halting is that the deficit trains a range of motion that is not used in the conventional deadlift. I.e., you won't pull the actual deadlift 1 - 2 inches lower than normal, so why train that portion of the ROM?

    Just a thought.
    i *think* the theory behind the deficits is that the higher you are in the rom the easier the pull, i.e. the heavier weight you can move. for example, one can move heavier weights in the rack pull, over the top end of the rom, than one can pull off the floor, right? so if you extend the rom to below where you start the normal pull, i.e. the deficit, and get some strength there, then one should be able to get that heavier weight moving from the normal pull.

    i think.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •