starting strength gym
Page 43 of 334 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393143 ... LastLast

Thread: Bingley's Bumbling Along

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    do you have the equipment to dip? If yes, DIP, DIP, DIP, DIP. THAN ADD WEIGHT AND DIP SOME MORE.

When you bench, where is your weakness? Off the chest? 1/2 way? 1/3 of the way?

I hope you don't mind me asking you this, did you seek help in your programing?

I'm sure my gym has dip equipment, I just don't venture outside of the squat rack and deadlift area much anymore.

i'm more than overdue for a trip back to Adam.

probably off the chest to 1/2 way is where the arms get super noodlely

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    I'm sure my gym has dip equipment, I just don't venture outside of the squat rack and deadlift area much anymore.

i'm more than overdue for a trip back to Adam.

probably off the chest to 1/2 way is where the arms get super noodlely
    So your weakness is off your chest? In the power rack try deadstops. Set pins so when you are lying on the bench with the bar sitting on the pins, the bar is just off your chest. Take the bar off the hooks and lower it as slow as you can til it is resting on the pins. Let go of the bar relax laying in position for 30 sec. Now grab the bar, get tight and set up as usual, and press the bar and rack. Rest a minute or 2 and repeat. Start light and work the weight up till you get to rpe 9.
    The negative is as important as the concentric. Lower as slow as you can
    Last edited by lou t; 10-25-2015 at 04:59 PM.

thanks lou! i'll give that a go.

do you have the equipment to dip? If yes, DIP, DIP, DIP, DIP. THAN ADD WEIGHT AND DIP SOME MORE.
    I second that.

Unless there is a long line at the squat rack, just raise the safeties and put two bars across inbetween - that's what I do (actually, I use my bar & a 4' 1" black pipe with flanges on wither end from the big box store). If they don't have dip belts, connect two "hang-alls" from the same store end-to-end and use that with a short chain through some plates.

Quote Originally Posted by peez View Post
    I second that.

Unless there is a long line at the squat rack, just raise the safeties and put two bars across inbetween - that's what I do (actually, I use my bar & a 4' 1" black pipe with flanges on wither end from the big box store). If they don't have dip belts, connect two "hang-alls" from the same store end-to-end and use that with a short chain through some plates.
    not a bad idea, how do you keep the pipes from moving?

The bar and the pipe are on the safeties across the rack, and they are located against the front and back uprights of the rack. It helps to have a small (shallow) rack like my Rogue R3. Otherwise you can rig up a spacer of some sort, of course. MacGyver in the gym!

[reaches for duct tape]

Tues 10/27/15 blah day
    SQ 45 1x5, 135 1x5, 185 1x5, 225 1x5, 255 3x5, 225 1x10
    DL 225 1x5, 275 1x2, 225 1x5
    Dips 2x5 (-40)

man, zippo in the tank today, i felt really famished and i actually ate a sammich for lunch (often i don't eat at all). the work set at 255 was tough, but happily the 3rd set was the easiest, and the last 2 on the backoff were a grind. on both sets of deads at 225 i held the last one for a count of 10 to hopefully strengthen the grip a bit. i had to use the appropriately-named Dip Machine to try the dips, and i needed 40lbs of assistance to get the 2 sets grindingly done; will obviously reduce that going forward. yippee.

starting strength coach development program
    Work those dips....add more sets. Here's an idea.
    Week 1
    3x8 no back off
    Week 2
    3x5, back off by 50% amap
    Week 3
    3x3, back off 50% amap

Start week 1 again

Since you are using weight assisted figure out how much more weight will provide the same as a back off