starting strength gym
Page 11 of 84 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: The Riddle of Iron

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    This must be what "overtrained" feels like?
    You're probably "just" under-recovered. Overtrained is likely a much bigger accumulated lack of recovery. You've earned a day or two off. Enjoy it and come back stronger. It worked for me ... we geezlings are allowed some leeway here.

Quote Originally Posted by peez View Post
    You're probably "just" under-recovered. Overtrained is likely a much bigger accumulated lack of recovery. You've earned a day or two off. Enjoy it and come back stronger. It worked for me ... we geezlings are allowed some leeway here.
    I've found that when I lift twice a week I feel better. I'm wondering if given my diet, age, etc three workouts a week is pushing it. My copy of PPTST should arrive tonight, I'm looking forward to reading the advanced novice and geezling stuff. I just listened to Rip's appearance on the "Muscle for Life" podcast (http://www.muscleforlife.com/mark-rippetoe-interview-2/) and he makes the point that people in their 40's can't train like people in their 20's... especially people like me who come brand new to strength training lateish in life. The money quote is, "hey you fucked up, it's that simple and you gotta pay a price, but what else are you gonna to, nothing?" followed by a trademark Rip guffaw.

Anyhow. I slept better last night, but had to get up early so only 7 hours. I ate a decent breakfast -- plain yogurt, whey powder (30g) and granola -- so hopefully tomorrow I'll have a more reasonable energy level.

people in their 40's can't train like people in their 20's
    Amen to that. I found initially three workouts a week are no problem, but as things did get heavier, I can only swing two bouts of intense iron&rubber-slinging per week, at most. Extra-curricular activities will mess things up also. Too bad. After attaining the big 4, people tend to have a better feeling for what they can do any given day. Trust your own judgement!

wait until you get to your 50s! look, with wife and kids you've got a ton of demands on your time and energy, cut back on the workouts a little and everyone will be happy.

The other option is to go in for your workout do the warmups and then do some lower weight sets @ 80% of your last workout for 2 sets of 5. You will see examples of this in PPST for intermediate where you do a light day in the middle of your workout week. It is a recovery workout. It has the benefit of being a short and crisp workout that preserves your form and will probably make you feel better.

I figure as long as the lifts go according to plan, keep going. But when they don't, take a break.

PPST3 is a great resource. Gives some good options

perhaps look into 1 on 2 off schedual.
    Last edited by Merkin Weaver; 04-29-2015 at 02:03 PM.

Default Back at it

Squat: 45x10, 95x5, 135x3, 185x2, 225x1 -- wowza, a two plate warmup rep
    work: 245x5x3. Fuck and yes.
    backoff: 135x5

Press: 45x10, 65x5, 75x3, 85x2
    work--- fucking mess... 100x4. I'm always so tired from warming up the press I've got nothing for the worksets.
    backoff: 95x1, 75x5, 50x8

PowerClean: 45x5, 65x3, 75x3, 95x3, 115x2, 135x1 -- lost count and did some extras here
    work: 140x3x5 failed rep 3 of set 5 but did another rep that was decent. Does that count?

I'm going to start a two lift per day, four day TM variant along the lines of what Mgilchrest suggested on Monday.

Nice squat!

on the press, i have a simple formula: peez presses bw +10
    I therefore press my bw-peez's bw - 10 lol

starting strength coach development program
    Nice job man!

Good luck with the new programming

Page 11 of 84 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast