starting strength gym
Page 12 of 84 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: The Riddle of Iron

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Back at it indeed! New programming is always refreshing mentally. Even if the weights are still damn hard. Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    How about:

M: Volume Bench (5x5) & OHP Intensity (1X5)
    T: Volume Squats (5x5) & Power Cleans
    Th: Volume OHP (5x5) & Bench Intensity (1x5)
    F: Intensity Squat (1x5) & Deadlifts (1x5)

You set the intensity sets at your current 3x5 weight and the 5x5 at 90% of that (for now)
    I'm wondering about intensity squats and deads on the same day. One of the issues I've been having is that after a big squat day I'm so tired that deadlifts seem impossible. Is the idea that you only do a 1x5 Squat, leaving something in the tank for DL's? Or would it be preferable to do something like this:

Monday - Volume Squats / OHP Intensity
    Tuesday - Volume Bench / DL
    Thursday - Squat Intensity / PowerCleans
    Friday - Bench Intensity / Volume OHP

I'm just thinking this through, trying to learn how these are constructed. I'm only about 30 pages into PPST, still reading the sections on recovery, etc.

Right, so between sets, instead of jerking off, I mean, leaning against the bar getting my breath back and watching some kid do upright dumbbell lunges, I can man th the fuck up and warm up my deadlift. I like the way you think.

5/04 -- day 1

Bench Volume: 45x5x2, 65x5, 75x3, 85x2, 95x1
    work: 105x5x5 First exploration past the three set barrier. It felt pretty good. The 5th set was noticeably more difficult then the 1st set, which is good. I forgot to do backoffs.. next time I'll plan a backoff set of 5 here @ in this case 55.

Press Intensity: 45x5x2, 65x5, 75x3, 85x2
    work: 97.5x5

Then I looked at my watch, I'd only been at the gym for 40 minutes including almost five minutes of bullshitting with a kid. Ya know what that means.. CURL TIME BRO!

Barbell Curls: 45x10, 55x10. Just for fun.

Left my desk about 11:55, back to my desk about 1:05. Perfectly acceptable.

Default 5/05

Day 2 -- Squat Volume and PowerClean

left desk at 11:30

Squat - 45x10, 85x5, 135x3, 185x2, 205x1
    work: 225x5x5 This was good, but in the fourth set I started to get a nagging pain in my right calf. Whatever, I still did 5x5 @ a weight that is way way way past my 1RM say ten weeks ago.
    backoff: 135x5. like lifting a feather.

Power Clean: 45x3, 75x3, 95x3, 115x2, 135x2
    work: 142.5x3x5. This was rugged. As the weight increases I'm realizing I really need to FUCKING JUMP or it fails. Set 3 rep 1, didn't jump enough and dropped it awkwardly. I rested a few minutes and then got at it again and set 3 was ok, set 4 I kept saying JUMP and that was good. Set five sucked, but set five always sucks.

Shower, back to my desk @ 1. That's still too long. I'm thinking maybe I should do something like volume squats and an assistance lift on Tuesday and then PowerCleans on Wednesday, maybe followed by 20 minutes of intervals on the recumbent cycle, or else look to move the PC's do another day and pair them with an intensity lift, not a volume lift. What do you think, Matt?

Thinking about doing 5x1 on power cleans next week.. To keep the volume / intensity thing.

Thursday -- Bench Intensity / OHP Volume

left desk @11:35

Bench Intensity: 45x10, 65x5, 85x3, 105x2, 115x1
    work: 122.5x5 -- I got 120x5 last week so decided to go up 2.5, worked well -- felt pretty good
    forgot to do my backoff set.

OHP Volume: 45x10, 55x5, 65x3, 75x2
    work: 87.5x5x5 -- sets two and three were rough, I thought I'd have trouble, but sets 4&5 were pretty good. Little pain in my left shoulder about 3/4ths of the way up on reps 3,4,5 of set 5.
    backoff: 55x5 -- like lifting a feather! Except my left should hurt a little.

PPST has such good things to say about chins, and last time I tried I couldn't do any, so I left myself a note: "Try Chins" in my plan for today.

Chins: still couldn't do a single one, but I got about two-thirds up, and hung there until I fell, and repeated that three times. Humiliating in a weight room but better then not doing any.

back to desk at 12:48. Acceptable.
    Last edited by CimmerianInTraining; 05-07-2015 at 11:24 AM. Reason: formatting

Default Squats!

5/8 - Squats / Deadlift EASY FRIDAY FUN

Squat: 45x10, 95x5, 135x3, 185x2, 225x1
    work: 250x5 -- it feels like cheating to do one set after the 5x3 PR deathmarch I've been on from 105 till now. I know I paid for it in advance with Tuesday's 225x5x5's and if all goes according to plan, a few months from now when 250x5x5 is a light volume on the way to 315 or whatever it works out to be.

Deadlift: 135x5, 185x5, 225x3, 255x1
    work: 275x5 I've been trying to get 275x5 for about a month. Gotcha motherfucker! I scammed some chalk from the underground chalk network. It's illegal in the stupid university gym but it helps. I'm thinking I might buy some now that I bring a bag to the gym with collars, 1.25lb plates, etc anyhow.

Thoughts on this first week:

Totally enjoyable. In and out a little quicker, enjoying the volume and the intensity mixture. I need to decide what to do on volume squat / powerclean day. I enjoy the 3x5 powercleans quite a lot, and I think they contribute to DL progress as well. I'll mull it over.

Thanks for the suggestion on this, Matt. It's working out. I expect as the weights go up the volume days will be harder but that's the name of the game, right?

When I switch back, I might use the same basic idea, supplanting heavier pull-things (rows/SLDLs) for the power cleans.
    Thanks for the blackmail material... I ever need something from you I can threaten to post that quote in the "Mark Rippetoe Q&A" forum under the heading "Experienced lifter told me to substitute rows for power cleans."

As far as diet, I've given up drinking on weeknights which frees up 200-300 calories, which I've been consuming in the form of a shake with 1 cup whole milk, 1 cup plain yogurt, 2 tablespoons of pb2 (de-fatted peanut butter powder, pretty good), and 30grams of 90% pure plain whey protein isolate powder. For breakfast, for months, I've been having 1 cup strawberry yogurt with 30 grams whey protein + 1/4 cup of chocolate granola. I usually have a protein shake before lifting and lunch is a frozen healthy-choice style meal, a chobani, some string cheese and a bananna. Dinner is regular shit -- pork chop, frozen veggies, rice, that sort of thing. I'm keeping my weight around 215. This week I started logging food on loseit.com and trying to run a very, very slight deficit (250 cals day), but if my lifts stall I'll knock that shit off. I'd ideally like to weight 200 come the fall, because my intention then is to start taking creatine and that adds about 10 pounds of water weight (from what I've read). I'll never be Jordan Feiganbaum or any of those six-pack having abs bastards, but I'm happy with where I'm headed and I'm much more useful then I used to be, for sure.

starting strength coach development program
    ... supplanting heavier pull-things (rows/SLDLs) for the power cleans.
    I heard that. ( Sorry for butting in on your log, CimmerianInTraining ) I suck at power cleans, and have been doing the barbell rows. But they are getting old and I'm thinking snatch grip deads ...

Page 12 of 84 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast