starting strength gym
Page 2 of 84 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: The Riddle of Iron

Default 3/11... I need to get less stupider at barbell math

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    second time this has happened to me that I've fucked up the weight on my squats.. meant to warm up @ 45,95,135,155,175 for a 190 workset... like a moron I messed up the math and did:

Squat -

45x5x5
    95x5
    135x3
    185x2, thought "hey this is sorta rugged for 155, I must not have eaten enough"
    195x1 and then said, "hey this is way way way too fucking heavy for 175..."
    then did my planned workset of
    190x5x5x5

press:

45x5x5
    55x5
    65x3
    75x2
    80x5x5x5

Dead: 245x5

I felt the grip in my left hand slipping significantly, especially on rep 5. I'm not certain I got to full lockout on the last rep because it was slipping and I didn't want to scare the coeds by dropping it. I'll see how 255 feels Saturday. Are the specific assistance exercises for grip? I've been assuming that the best assistance for grip is the DL itself. I use a regular unlocked non-alternating grip as suggested by Rip for beginners.

Dumbell Curls. (bro). 25x8x8x8 each hand

Quote Originally Posted by CimmerianInTraining View Post
    Dead: 245x5

I felt the grip in my left hand slipping significantly, especially on rep 5. I'm not certain I got to full lockout on the last rep because it was slipping and I didn't want to scare the coeds by dropping it. I'll see how 255 feels Saturday. Are the specific assistance exercises for grip? I've been assuming that the best assistance for grip is the DL itself. I use a regular unlocked non-alternating grip as suggested by Rip for beginners.

Dumbell Curls. (bro). 25x8x8x8 each hand
    What were your warm up sets for DL? I made it to 230 without changing grip or using chalk. I needed both along with the belt after that. Use the alternate grip when you cannot hold it otherwise. You may find that you can slowly strengthen you overhand grip just through experimentation. Sully often says "why waste a good lift just because your overhand grip isn't strong enough to hold the bar?" Anyway, I have no trouble with reverse grip, chalk and belt to 315 which is my top single, but I can't hold the overhand grip past 230, at least not yet.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    What were your warm up sets for DL? I made it to 230 without changing grip or using chalk. I needed both along with the belt after that. Use the alternate grip when you cannot hold it otherwise. You may find that you can slowly strengthen you overhand grip just through experimentation. Sully often says "why waste a good lift just because your overhand grip isn't strong enough to hold the bar?" Anyway, I have no trouble with reverse grip, chalk and belt to 315 which is my top single, but I can't hold the overhand grip past 230, at least not yet.
    I didn't do any warmups for DL -- I figured after all those squats and presses I was pretty warm already. I did like two reps @ 135 just as a form check because I'm working on keeping my shoulders back ( thanks mgilchrest ). Do people usually do warmup sets on DL?

Yes, people usually do at least some warm ups for DL. I start at 135 and lessen the number of lifts at each weight until the top weight. It may not be essential but that's what I do.

My back has been really tight, especially on the lower right, since Wednesday's workout, so I went for a two mile walk at lunch today to try to warm it up and loosen it. Seems to have helped.

My back has been really tight, especially on the lower right, since Wednesday's workout, so I went for a two mile walk at lunch today to try to warm it up and loosen it. Seems to have helped.
    A decent walk can really loosen stuff up.

Do you do any foam rolling or other "mobility" work?

I foam roll to keep my ITB band loose, seems to keep my knees from hurting during squats. I think the root of my knee issues are more to do with getting "too low" and not tight enough at the bottom so my hamstrings are less engaged in the squat then they should be. I'm going to work on that tomorrow. That said, I haven't done much foam rolling for my back, just my knee.

Anyone who tells you aging doesn't suck hasn't done enough of it....

Anyone who tells you aging doesn't suck hasn't done enough of it....
    As they say, it beats the alternative.

But yeah, I hear you.

3/14 -- with coaching from mgilchrest

Met MGilchrest for the second time -- he was super helpful, thank you again.

Squats:
    45x5x5
    95x5
    135x3
    155x2
    175x1
    195x5x5x5

here's a video of my third and worst set:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gon-kr8u4gw

Bench:
    45x5x5
    54x5
    85x3
    95x2
    105x1
    110 -- failure.
    did 95x5x5x5. Bench is hard for me.

first ever set of Power Clean
    after learning, first work sets were
    95x3x3x3x3x3

starting strength coach development program
    Might have been your worst set but you hit 6 reps. You're not even at your 5RM.

Page 2 of 84 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast