starting strength gym
Page 84 of 84 FirstFirst ... 3474828384

Thread: The Riddle of Iron

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm really sad, to be honest Mr B. I loved lifting so much. This morning, I took my bag, took out my lifting shoes, my leather belt, my cheap velcro belt I used for DLs, my collars, and my chalk and put them on the closet floor, put gym shorts etc in the bag. It sucked. I walked into the gym and a kid I know said "Hey man! He's back! How are you?" It was cool, but I still can't do the shit I love. I know my pattern is, if it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing, so I'm going to be on guard against that and just do the shit I decided to do, the way I decided to do it, but it fucking blows, plain and simple.

Man I don't envy you ... but I'm sure, given your discipline and determination, that you will work your way back up.

Hey Cimm, sorry for your pain and current situation, but I thought I'd let you know a bit about my L5/S1 story.
    I suffered from isthmic spondylolisthesis in 2002. Basically, my spine became disconnected from my sacrum. I was out of work for 14 months waiting for proper diagnosis, surgical recovery and new-career searching. 98% of people out of work that long never return to work.
    Anyway, I had the fusion and in my final post-op strength test, they had me lift a milk crate full of ever-increasing weights. They made me stop at 100 Lb because no one had ever lifted more than that after the procedure. I was concerned about the fusion spot being damaged and my surgeon told me I could "hit that area with a baseball bat and nothing would happen to the fusion". The REST of me would be screwed, but not the fusion.
    Fast-Forward almost 15 years and I'm just starting my LP training on SS. I'm squatting 220 and my DL is at 235.
    Of course, do nothing against your doctor's command, but I wanted to tell you that there is hope to get back under the bar eventually if you treat yourself kindly for a year or two while you heal.
    Best of luck!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Mike View Post
    Hey Cimm, sorry for your pain and current situation, but I thought I'd let you know a bit about my L5/S1 story.
    I suffered from isthmic spondylolisthesis in 2002. Basically, my spine became disconnected from my sacrum. I was out of work for 14 months waiting for proper diagnosis, surgical recovery and new-career searching. 98% of people out of work that long never return to work.
    Anyway, I had the fusion and in my final post-op strength test, they had me lift a milk crate full of ever-increasing weights. They made me stop at 100 Lb because no one had ever lifted more than that after the procedure. I was concerned about the fusion spot being damaged and my surgeon told me I could "hit that area with a baseball bat and nothing would happen to the fusion". The REST of me would be screwed, but not the fusion.
    Fast-Forward almost 15 years and I'm just starting my LP training on SS. I'm squatting 220 and my DL is at 235.
    Of course, do nothing against your doctor's command, but I wanted to tell you that there is hope to get back under the bar eventually if you treat yourself kindly for a year or two while you heal.
    Best of luck!
    Thanks, Mike. It's good to know there's a possibility.

Page 84 of 84 FirstFirst ... 3474828384