starting strength gym
Page 1 of 84 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: The Riddle of Iron

Default The Riddle of Iron

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Thought I should start an online training log. I often have questions that don't belong in their own thread.

Anyhow, background -- I'm 43, 210 pounds, 5'11. I was a long time couch potato until about seven years ago when I started running. I really like distance running -- not fast, not far, but often. At one point I was cranking out 15-20 miles a week, running 5 and 10K's and thinking about doing a half marathon, when I started to be bothered by foot pain. It got worse, despite cortisone, etc, and then I needed to have surgery to remove a broken sesamoid bone and so far my attempts to start running again have failed. That was just about two years and twenty pounds ago.

I started SS in January. Here's my starting and current work sets:

squats: 105, did 185 today
    bench: 75, failed at 110 today but did two @ 105 anyhow { more on that below }
    press: 55, did 75 saturday
    deadlift: 95, did 235 today

I hope that the Novice Linear Progression can get me to something like a 275 squat, a 335 deadlift, a 225 bench, and a 135 press.

Welcome. I ran from age 39 to 49. I lost interest. That's the only reason can think of. I eventually got fat and started walking and lost 34 pounds. I then started SS at age 66. It's one of the best things I ever did.

You've made good progress for just 2 months. Keep up the good work. Find a certified SS coach and either consult with him/her from time to time or have him oversee your lifts.

Today I used the Starting Strength Warmup app to pick warmups, first time I've used that. Before that I was eyeballing warmups.

Squat:
    45x5x5
    95x5
    135x3
    155x2
    175x1
    185x5x5x5

Bench:
    45x5x5
    65x5
    85x3
    95x2
    105x1
    110x5x5x5 -- planned. I failed at #4 on the first set at 110 but managed two more sets of 105.

Deadlift:
    65x5, just quick warmups to check form
    235x5. I might have grunted a little and maybe even scared someone.

This same thing happened to me twice before getting from 100 to 105 on the bench... On two different occasions I failed at rep 3 or 4 in set one at 105 and then did two more sets @ 100 before I was finally able to knock out three sets @ 105. I was hoping not to go through that @110. I know I need to work on my bench form, hopefully I can do that this weekend.

I also have been doing bro curls with dumbells for fun, starting @ 10x8x8x8x8x, then 10x9x9x9x9 up to four sets of 12, then goign to 15x8x8x8x8 etc. Today I did 20x12x12x12 and then 40x12 on a barbell. Bro!
    Last edited by CimmerianInTraining; 03-09-2015 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Welcome. I ran from age 39 to 49. I lost interest. That's the only reason can think of. I eventually got fat and started walking and lost 34 pounds. I then started SS at age 66. It's one of the best things I ever did.

You've made good progress for just 2 months. Keep up the good work. Find a certified SS coach and either consult with him/her from time to time or have him oversee your lifts.
    Thanks Carson. I think lifting and running are pretty similar. At least they are to me, in that they both require basic intestinal fortitude and commitment above everything else. At least for schlubs like me who aren't made of elite material, and success means finishing the job. I'm good at doing simple things that hurt over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by CimmerianInTraining View Post
    Thanks Carson. I think lifting and running are pretty similar. At least they are to me, in that they both require basic intestinal fortitude and commitment above everything else. At least for schlubs like me who aren't made of elite material, and success means finishing the job. I'm good at doing simple things that hurt over and over.
    I don't think running a great deal helps strength development. Sully has written about this. Maybe some light running on off days but in most cases, and I've seen it myself, strength training may help the running but running will not help and may hinder the strength training. I'll see if I can track down one of Sully's articles on this.

Hi Cimmerian,

welcome to the forum! Great progress so far! I'm fairly close in stats, only a tad shorter and lighter - I'll be watching your progress!

I second what carson said about running. I ran a marathon once, but my body isn't made for it. Instead of running you may want to try some HIIT - prowler, if you have access to one, or a rower.

Bro, if I may recommend chins instead of curls - they work the biceps nicely, but also back and shoulders. Big compound movement = more bang for the buck. Add weights when you can do 12+ at bodyweight.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    I don't think running a great deal helps strength development. Sully has written about this. Maybe some light running on off days but in most cases, and I've seen it myself, strength training may help the running but running will not help and may hinder the strength training. I'll see if I can track down one of Sully's articles on this.
    Sadly I think my running days are probably over anyhow. About three years ago I started having excruciating pain my the ball of my right foot after a mile or so. It kept getting worse to the point that even without running it became difficult to walk around. I went to a well known orthopedist at MGH who specializes in feet (the same guy who did Curt Schilling's bloody sock surgery, Dustin Pedroia's foot, and Gronk's ankle) and he found that I'd had a broken bone in my foot for probably 20 years, a little bone called a "sesamoid" bone. He removed it about two years ago. Things are generally better -- I can walk, go hiking, etc without too much pain -- but running is likely out.

I love running and I haven't ruled it out forever, but right now my focus is one hundred percent on strength. When I get as strong as the NLP will take me (315 dead? 365? wherever that is ), then my plan is to attempt running again, not more then three miles at a time, twice a week, and keep lifting twice a week, but if that doesn't work out, then I'll probably get really nuts about lifting because honestly it's the only thing that gives me the same mind-clearing full body feeling that I used to get from running. Well, swimming as well but swimming is too goddamn technical for me.

Quote Originally Posted by peez View Post
    I second what carson said about running. I ran a marathon once, but my body isn't made for it. Instead of running you may want to try some HIIT - prowler, if you have access to one, or a rower.

Bro, if I may recommend chins instead of curls - they work the biceps nicely, but also back and shoulders. Big compound movement = more bang for the buck. Add weights when you can do 12+ at bodyweight.
    I would totally do chins but I cannot do even one, so I've been messing around with curls. The gym has an assisted chin machine, I was playing with that, but it's kind of boring. I might starting doing the reverse chin thing where you hang and try to go down as slowly as possible.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'm looking forward to 245 at lunch today. Speaking of that, I probably need a belt at this point or will soon. Any suggestions? I've been looking at this one:

http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-4-weightlifting-belt

It's only $20. Will I instantly regret it?
    Last edited by CimmerianInTraining; 03-11-2015 at 07:30 AM. Reason: added response to peez

i did a ton of running all through hs into college - crosscountry, marathons, etc. As a result my back, knees, and feet are complete disasters; they just ache all the time. started SS a few months ago and feel much much better!

Regarding the belt. I've never used a velcro belt. Sully has and he warns that as the lift weights go up there is a tendency for the velcro to give way. I bought a belt with a two hooked buckle. It's lasted a year but I'm getting close to having to get a new one. Since the rogue velcro belt is only $20 and you wish to get it go for it but I think there may be a point that you will need to move to a buckled one.

starting strength coach development program
    ^ I've never used a velcro belt either, but I got a 4" wide, 10mm-thick, double-prong leather belt about a year ago. I'm still very happy with it. I use it for almost every workout.

From one Masshole to another, good luck!

Page 1 of 84 1231151 ... LastLast