starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jared's Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    5 lbs in two weeks is not unusual in the first months ... but keeping an eye on it would be well advised. You might want to start tracking macros if you are concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by peez View Post
    5 lbs in two weeks is not unusual in the first months ... but keeping an eye on it would be well advised. You might want to start tracking macros if you are concerned.
    Thanks I'm really not sure what I want to be shooting for as a target weight. Ripp always says >200 lbs, but for 6'5" maybe it is more like 250.

Thanks I'm really not sure what I want to be shooting for as a target weight.
    Sorry I don't think there is a good answer. It's totally up to you - wherever you are comfortable, how the weight is distributed, what your genetics allow etc. At your height, 250lb does not sound unusual to me for a strong male but don't obsess about a number. Work hard, eat well (i.e. plenty of high quality protein, some carbs and fats), and don't fight your body in either direction.

Maybe ask Derf123 as he is about your height!
    Last edited by peez; 03-31-2015 at 01:13 PM.

Good work. You will not be disappointed when you eventually get your belt. Got mine about 2 weeks ago and absolutely love it. The waiting is the worst part. When it finally showed up, I felt like a kid on Christmas. I actually left work early to meet the mailman I was so excited. Keep up the good work.

4/2

SQ:
    warmups, 245x5
    Press:
    warmups, 110x5x2, 110x4x1, pissed at missing this, dropped to 95 and threw up a set of 5 for some extra volume.
    DL:
    300x5

Not ideal, happy my squats are still going up, but my press weight felt very heavy. I'll try for 110 again next time. I though for sure I would hit the press since I got 107.5 last time. I repeated my last DL workout since I was rounding pretty bad last time, 300x5 felt good this time. I will start moving DL weight up again, such a mental exercise to keep the back tight. Life was hard this week leaving me with only two workouts instead of three. After the workout above I tweaked my back putting in a bunk bed for my kids. Feels better this morning hopefully will be good to go by Monday when I'll start my normal routine again.

My waist has gone up from 36 -> 36.5 inches, I think I'll add in some HIIT on a few of my off days in favor of eating less. Maybe just once a week to start, twice a week at most. I don't have access to a prowler so maybe sprints.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue1979 View Post
    Good work. You will not be disappointed when you eventually get your belt. Got mine about 2 weeks ago and absolutely love it. The waiting is the worst part. When it finally showed up, I felt like a kid on Christmas. I actually left work early to meet the mailman I was so excited. Keep up the good work.
    Pretty big difference you think? I'm hoping it will help me stay tight on my squats. Do you use it for DLs as well?

Huge different. I was using a cheap Walmart tapered belt to get by until my Best Belt got here. The cheap belt worked but I compare it to driving in a nail with a wrench: Will it work? Maybe but it will fuck shit up versus using the right tool. You will not be disappointed.

As for wearing it for deadlifts, the answer is no. I'm short (5'6) and have a short torso even for a short guy. I can't get a good enough of a breath with it when bent over getting into position. Now you might be fine being your so tall.

I know your pain on the press. I ended up doing the same exact thing. Got 105 but missed 110. I deloaded to 95, micro-loaded, and worked on form. My last press pushed me past 110 and felt like I still had lots in the tank. Keep working and you'll get it.

4/6

SQ:
    Warmups, 255x5x2, 250x5x1
    BP:
    Warmups, 165x5x3
    DL:
    Warmups, 305x5

I did my plate math wrong and did +10 on squats for the first two sets. I was wondering why it felt so hard and realized my mistake. Pretty happy I didn't miss any reps. Deadlift felt good, making progress on keeping my back tight. No news on my belt yet. Started taking creatine.

The mental aspect of this is kicking in for me now. Today was a PR for my squat and it felt heavy, need to stay confident that weight jumps can and should happen.

4/8

SQ:
    Warmups, 255x5x3
    P:
    Warmups, 110x5x3
    PC:
    Warmups, 185x3x5

At this weight I have to focus on catching the power cleans and getting under the bar quick, doesn't just float up to my shoulders anymore. Will keep increasing by 5s till I miss. PRs everyday is fun.

starting strength coach development program
    4/10

SQ:
    Warmup, 260x5x3 - I have been resting ~3mins between sets. Might increase to 4mins.
    BP:
    warmup, 170x5, 170x4 ugh stapled, 165x5
    DL:
    warmup, 310x5 - felt some rounding on last two reps, I should video these next time.

Going to need to start scaling bench by 2.5lbs I think. Will try 170 again next workout. Going to try out some heavy bag work for my HIIT, hill sprints take too much out of me. Up to around 240lbs. So that makes around 10lbs gained over ~1 month. Pretty happy with that. Waist measurement has not changed still around 36.5 inches. I'm not really trying to cut so I'm ok with that considering the weight gain. Lifts keep on going up, might need to buy another set of 45s.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast