starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Muntz's Log - Trying to DTP!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've received a great deal of help here over the last two years. Lifting is one of the best things I've done in my life.

2nd workout in the 4th week. Added Power Cleans today. Also did 3 sets of banded chinups for a very weak 5 reps
    Squat 275x5x3
    Bench 160x5x3
    PC: 85x3x5.
    Banded chins3x5

Still have a lot of trouble with Power Cleans. Cannot get my elbows up high enough and I'm still catching with my hands. Squat felt heavy but okay. Need to work on a bunch of hip mobility stuff.

End of First Month!
    Squat: 280x5x3
    Press: 100x5x3
    Dead: 355x5x1

Woke up early and couldn't sleep so hit the gym. Was tired, and had a 2-3 glasses of wine at dinner that I think I'm still feeling. Biceps are pretty tired/sore. I think from the lacrosse ball rolling i've been doing. Or possibly from Saturday's chins. Would like to take 2 days off, but I'm busy Thursday night. took more rest than normal between squat sets and that seemed to work well.

Quote Originally Posted by muntz View Post
    2nd workout in the 4th week. Added Power Cleans today. Also did 3 sets of banded chinups for a very weak 5 reps
    Squat 275x5x3
    Bench 160x5x3
    Banded chins3x5

Still have a lot of trouble with Power Cleans. Cannot get my elbows up high enough and I'm still catching with my hands. Squat felt heavy but okay. Need to work on a bunch of hip mobility stuff.
    Oh - and these weights are now:
    Squat: 95% of pre-SS 1RM
    Press: 80% of pre-SS 1RM - working up slowly here
    Dead: 97% of pre-SS 1RM.
    (Bench is 84% of pre-SS 1RM)

Lower body weights are getting pretty scary now.

Quote Originally Posted by muntz View Post
    Squat 275x5x3
    Bench 160x5x3
    Banded chins3x5

Power Cleans seem easier a little bit heavier, at least for me. At 85 it's hard not to muscle the bar up, at 120 I really have to JUMP and then it seems to hit my delts a little easier. FWIW. I suck at them -- like a panda bear doing ballet or something, but that's what I've been finding.

Quote Originally Posted by CimmerianInTraining View Post
    Power Cleans seem easier a little bit heavier, at least for me. At 85 it's hard not to muscle the bar up, at 120 I really have to JUMP and then it seems to hit my delts a little easier. FWIW. I suck at them -- like a panda bear doing ballet or something, but that's what I've been finding.
    Yeah - i tried the Power cleans at 105 tonight. Was a little easier. But still ugly. I did miss a couple, which I view as good - it means i'm really focusing on the jump.

Missed logging the last workout:

Squat 280x5x3
    Press 100x5x3
    Dead 355x5x1. Soooo heavy!

Tonight, started the 2nd month:

Squat 285x5x3
    Bench 165x5x3
    Messed around with PCs at 105. figured I did ~10 or so. Some were Hang Cleans so I could get the motion down. Still not getting it right.

I'm debating how many days to Deadlift per week: 1 or 2. Not sure if I want to do back extensions or not. Being able to mess around with PCs is a relief though. I would have really dreaded Deads tonight. The squat was heavy enough! I sort of wobbled a bit and lost my footing on the 4 rep. I recovered but was a bit disconcerting.

Was going to take off 2 days, but I felt good and had a couple hours on Friday:

Squat: 290x5x3 - no belt.
    Press: 105x5x3
    Dead: 360x5x3 - no belt

I'm now 5lbs away from squatting and deadlifting 3 sets of 5 at my previous 1RM! Press is starting to close in on my previous 5RM as well. Next few weeks are really crucial for upper body stuff I really want to get my strength up there. Doing a lot of mobility stuff too.

Love this program!

Still doing fine with just 1 day between sessions - though the bar speed on the bench was slowwww.

Squat 295x5x3 belt and knee sleeves.
    BP 170x5x3
    PCs: did hang cleans at 105. 5x3. but form is just terrible.

starting strength coach development program
    Weird. felt sorta easy today. Still only resting 1 day
    Squat 300x5x3. belt and knee sleeves. Jorge a power lifter at the gym complimented me.
    OHP: 110x5x3. Another powerlifter told me to lift it out of the rack with my chest, not my arms and hold it higher up on my chest. Made the lifts feel easier.
    Deads: 365x1x3. This was my 1RM in Feb
    Banded Chins: 6,6,6 with the grey band.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast