starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Muntz's Log - Trying to DTP!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Ugh. Terrible day. Might be because I'm only doing 1 day rest, might be because of I worked out in the morning. But I have this horrible ache in my biceps after squatting. It has been effecting my upper body work. Today I failed on the 4th rep of the 3rd set up benches. Going through the forums it looks like I might have TOS - Thorasic Outlet Syndrome. Trying to figure out what my next move is. Considering backing way off on my lower body and focusing on upper body and fat loss and HIIT, while still doing some lighter lower body work. Any advice GREATLY appreicated - already asked the question in more detail in Andy's section.
    Squat: 305x5x3
    Bench: 175 5x2, 3x1
    Back Hyperextensions 10x3. Left my lower back kinda sore today. Still think this could be a good exercise if I can do it without feeling sore.

Quote Originally Posted by muntz View Post
    Ugh. Terrible day. Might be because I'm only doing 1 day rest, might be because of I worked out in the morning. But I have this horrible ache in my biceps after squatting. It has been effecting my upper body work. Today I failed on the 4th rep of the 3rd set up benches. Going through the forums it looks like I might have TOS - Thorasic Outlet Syndrome. Trying to figure out what my next move is. Considering backing way off on my lower body and focusing on upper body and fat loss and HIIT, while still doing some lighter lower body work. Any advice GREATLY appreicated - already asked the question in more detail in Andy's section.
    Squat: 305x5x3
    Bench: 175 5x2, 3x1
    Back Hyperextensions 10x3. Left my lower back kinda sore today. Still think this could be a good exercise if I can do it without feeling sore.
    Sounds to me like you are overtraining. Maybe instead of self diagnosing dangerous syndromes, take a full week off and then get back at it, taking the days off that the program suggests. NLP is hard, no matter how you slice it. Take a few days or a week and feel better then get at it rested.

Thanks. The bicep ache after squatting has been a real concern. If I take a week off should I deload by 10% or pick up at my last level?

Do your warm-ups and then play it by ear from there. You are the only one who judge the difference between being smart and being a pussy!

Okay. So I'm gonna take 2 days off for the first time in a while. Today was tough but I can view it both positively and negatively:
    Positives - Beat former 1RM in Squat and Dead for multiple reps - I've never pulled 370 nor have i Squatted 310. I also think I matched or beat my 5RM for OHP. Also, Im starting to improve my squat grip: Bicep ache is much better, though it is still there.

Negatives - even though I did 3 sets of 5 reps in the squat I don't think i got below parallel on every rep so I'm calling it a fail. I did fail on deads - only 2 reps. OHP is a nice one however,

Sq: 310x5x3 with incomplete reps
    OHP: 115x5x3
    Dead: 370x2x1. Might have been able to gut it out, but just wasn't feeling it. Also, I've been resting so much between reps this took place after 1.75 hrs in the gym.

So, I'll go in again on Weds evening and try 310 on squats again and do PCs. I'll have to attempt 175 for BP again. While I completed 2 sets last time, the last set was terrible.

Argh. 3 lousy workouts in row. Thursday I failed on the last set of benches. Saturday my form on squats was terrible at 310 and I only did 2 Deads at 370. Today my squat form was still terrible and I tried to go up in bench (I figured that I completed 2 sets perfectly and that the arm ache related to my squat grip was at fault).

so, I'm going to reset squats by 10% and I will try 175 again at Benches. I'll also switch to one day on/ two days off.

I'm still "Butt winking" when i go thru parallel on my squat and my grip is no longer comfortable. I've actually been pretty good the last few days eating a lot, getting decent rest, etc.

Wish me luck on Saturday.

I have a video of today's squats but it is too ugly to share.

Quote Originally Posted by muntz View Post
    Argh. 3 lousy workouts in row. Thursday I failed on the last set of benches. Saturday my form on squats was terrible at 310 and I only did 2 Deads at 370. Today my squat form was still terrible and I tried to go up in bench (I figured that I completed 2 sets perfectly and that the arm ache related to my squat grip was at fault).

so, I'm going to reset squats by 10% and I will try 175 again at Benches. I'll also switch to one day on/ two days off.

I'm still "Butt winking" when i go thru parallel on my squat and my grip is no longer comfortable. I've actually been pretty good the last few days eating a lot, getting decent rest, etc.

Wish me luck on Saturday.

I have a video of today's squats but it is too ugly to share.
    how is your arm? I've been having similar biceps pain.

Better. Not perfect.

In the fall I tried lying triceps extensions and did em too heavy and strained my left bicep. I still feel some weakness/mild pain there. After adjusting my whole LBBS bar placement, grip, etc. the "dead arm" ache is massively reduced. I think the problem was some combo of: bar being too low and not pushing my scapula together and consequently my arms supporting the the bar's weight and possibly me tensing my bicep constantly through all 5 reps.

So, starting May 27, Michael Wolf is doing a Starting Strength 2 month cycle at a local crossfit box here in NYC. That's 5 weeks away. Since I'm maxing on most of my lifts I think I might do another 1-2 weeks and then do a couple deload/active recovery/mobility weeks. I've been using a trainer at my gym but he doesn't buy into the whole SS thing. He happens to be really great and introduced me to 5/3/1 which led me to this, but I really want to DTP!

starting strength coach development program
    That sounds awesome.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast