starting strength gym
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Short, skinny, and no idea what I'm doing

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Today fucking sucked. I didn't accomplish ANY of the things I set out to do. I'm not sure whether the problem is in the programming or recovery. I slept well this weekend and I thought I ate okay. Bodyweight didn't change, still hovering right around 159. I guess I'll give this HLM setup another week before messing with the programming, it's hard to judge based on such a limited data set.

I actually had to bail on the last squat rep. I've wimped out and racked the bar before but never actually bailed. I was pretty sure I wasn't coming back up after the 4th rep but I figured it was worth a shot. I got to about my nose on the 4th press rep before the bar just stopped moving. I thought about trying two sets of triples, but I'm never really sure about on-the-fly programming changes, so I just racked it and did my backoffs. On the 4th deadlift rep, I felt the bar getting out in front of me after the liftoff. I dropped it and got set back up in just a few seconds, but it wouldn't budge after that.

Fuck!

Squat: 144 (4 reps), 127 backoffs
    Press: 50 (3 reps), 45 backoffs
    Deadlift: 150 (3 reps)

I fiddled with the percentages on the squat for light days and had an easier go of it. I'm still frustrated about Monday, but I think I'm going to cycle 3s on Heavy days until I can't, then back off 10% and go back to 5s. I hear this works for ladies and I am evidently built like a lady. Not sure about deadlifts, I'll do some research.

Squat: 115x2x5
    Bench: 63x3x5
    Back extensions: BWx3x13
    Chins: Didn't get to them, but there's a bar at work now that I'm going to use at lunch to get some reps in, I'll go until I get 20

Medium day was "fun." I decided to forego power cleans until I can get my wrists into good shape, so I subbed in front squats to help me with the racking position.

Squat: 128x3x5
    Close Grip Bench Press: 50x3x5
    Front squat: 40x3x5
    Pull ups: Didn't get to them, but there's a bar at work now that I'm going to use at lunch to get some reps in, I'll go until I get 20 (this will probably become the norm, I like having a few hours to get ready for these)

Rather than switching out bench press and press every week, I'm going to do the HLM program for those lifts outlined on Andy's website (heavy top set with backoffs, bench on Monday and press on Wednesday).
    Last edited by TheMageling; 08-21-2015 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Forgot pull ups

I'm not feeling well today, but I at least got something done at the gym before packing it in. New squat PR. My bench warmups felt like they were pinning me down as I kept feeling worse and worse, so I did my final warmup and just did the backoffs and called it a day. Hopefully this funk goes away soon. I'll DL on Wednesday instead.

BW: 158.5
    Squat: 146x1x3, 130x2x5
    Bench Press: 70x1x1, 65x2x5

Light day. I DL'ed first and did front squats last. I liked that setup, so I will probably stick with it and just do back extensions on Heavy day.

BW: 158.3lb
    Deadlift: 155kgx1x3
    Press: 51kgx1x3, 45x2x5
    Front Squat: 45kgx3x5
    Chins: 20 (to do at lunch)

Medium day. Not as fun as Heavy or Light day, but necessary I suppose.

BW: 159.4lb
    Squat: 130kgx3x5
    CGBP: 52kgx3x5
    Power Clean: 40kgx5x5 - working on form here, probably going to hold tight at this weight until I can fix my issues. Probably need to go see Josh again.
    Chins: 20 (at lunch)

I tweaked my neck or something last Friday so I took it easy today. I feel okay now so I'm kind of regretting not just going for it, but whatever, it's over.

Squat: 130kgx3x5
    Bench Press: 67kgx3x5
    Back Extensions: 3x10

No dice on a triple for DLs today. I'm a mess.

BW: 158.2lb
    Deadlift: 160kgx1x2
    Press: 52kgx1x3, 47x2x5
    Front squat: 47kgx3x5

starting strength coach development program
    My training was erratic at best over the last few weeks due to the holiday, and I certainly didn't set any PRs during that shitshow, so I won't even bother logging them. That changes now! I'm switching to a 4 day TM split, and I think that might qualify me as "Intermediate," so I'm moving my log there: Still short, slightly less skinny, and an intermediate inkling of what I'm doing

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910