starting strength gym
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Short, skinny, and no idea what I'm doing

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Sweet, man. Yeah, I know what you mean about "fluffy", I'm not too bad right now though. Ideally I'd rather be ripped and strong, but I want to eek out my newb gains before I taper off the calories and move to a more intermediate program, and if that means some extra baggage so be it lol.

Exactly, I'll relish this opportunity to get easy gains. I understand that they start to come a lot slower, so it's worth the sacrifice right now.

First day at the new gym was a success! The only negative thing I have to say about it is they only have one set of imperial plates away from the power cage (it seems they're primarily focused on oly lifting), so I had to do some kooky plate math. I think after I hit 315 on Friday I'm going to switch over to kilograms just to make my life easier. I'm not thrilled about it, but there are worse problems one could have. So just note that today's weights are probably within a pound or two of what I was supposed to lift. In fact, that might explain the presses being bad. And holy hell, the 4th rep of 310 squats was a grinder. I seriously debated just racking the damn thing, but I had extra confidence thanks to the safeties, so I went for it and happily got the 5th. It seemed like an eternity, but I bet it was only 3 seconds or so.

Squat: 310, 275 backoff
    Press: 116.5 2/2/2
    Back extensions: 22 10/9/9

Here's a photo of the place: https://instagram.com/p/57EMz_nUjm/?...by=themageling
    It's called Athletic Lab, in Cary NC. I highly recommend it. Also if you're only interested in weightlifting stuff maybe don't follow me on Instagram... I post a lot about cats and video games too. :P

Today went okay. I feel pretty good about how bench press went, but I looked up at the clock when I was warming up for deadlift and realized I was going to be late for work, so I threw on 140kg and pulled twice. I probably should have just hung out and done the planned lift as I ended up being late anyway, but hindsight is 20/20.

Squat: 245
    Bench press: 162.5 3x3
    Deadlift: 308 (or whatever 140kg amounts to) x2

I'm officially a member of the 3 plate squat club. It felt good, not the hardest set of squats I've ever done. Weird how that works. The rest of my training didn't go so well. I'm going to make the switch over to kgs now (I partially did today, just wanted to hit that 315 milestone on squats before doing so), I hope that doesn't bother anyone. It bothers me, but the equipment is otherwise perfect for me, so I'll deal with it. Press sucked, I regressed actually. I hope I'm not stalling on 3x3s too now. Power clean was interesting, this gym has bumpers so it was the first time doing the full pull from the floor, so I'm sure I have some kinks to work out in my form.

Squat: 315lb, 280 backoffs
    Press: 52kg 2/2/1
    Power Clean: 55kg 2/3/2/3/3

Congrats on the milestone!

Quote Originally Posted by cubillini View Post
    Congrats on the milestone!
    Thanks! It felt twice as good as when I first hit 225. Here's hoping 405 is even better.

Justified or not, I made the call to switch over to weekly progression. I may not have fully exhausted LP but I'm mentally exhausted from it. I'm weak willed, I know. I'm going with HLM, as I'd like to try out some Olympic lifting in the future, and that seems easier to work into an HLM program than TM. I see people at my gym doing the lifts and they look tough but fun. I'm also hoping that a bump in volume for my bench and press might help get those up, as they're clearly my weak point. I'm going to switch focus between bench and press each week.

Lifts are all in kgs today, and they will be for the foreseeable future. New 5 rep PRs for everything!

Squat: 142x1x5, 125x2x5 backoffs
    Bench Press: 72x1x5
    Deadlift: 145x1x5

Today was Light day, with some press volume snuck in there to maybe drive up my next press-focused Heavy day. If anyone thinks that a bad idea, let me know. I'm really feeling it in my upper back and elbows today, gonna steal some ibuprofen from the receptionist and hope for the best. I'm also really focusing on cleaning up my diet. Still looking to gain weight, but slowly and without too much crap. I was enjoying a few too many cookies during my dirty bulking phase...

Squat: 120x2x5
    Press: 42x3x5
    Back Extensions: 20x3x10
    Pull ups: 5/4/4

Seems like being shorter is an advantage in doing squats. I’m 5’6” and don’t see some of the struggles that I see with taller lifters. However that’s where our similarities end I’m exactly twice your age at 56. So while I admire your progress, it’s official I hate you! On a more serious note stick with it, I lifted when I was younger and gave it up for many years. You’ve got a huge advantage of having a lifetime ahead of you to build strength. The only boundaries are those that we set in our own heads.

For example… this guy is 5’3” and weighs 130 pounds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkRkPigvO9Y

Quote Originally Posted by Strega View Post
    Seems like being shorter is an advantage in doing squats. I’m 5’6” and don’t see some of the struggles that I see with taller lifters. However that’s where our similarities end I’m exactly twice your age at 56. So while I admire your progress, it’s official I hate you! On a more serious note stick with it, I lifted when I was younger and gave it up for many years. You’ve got a huge advantage of having a lifetime ahead of you to build strength. The only boundaries are those that we set in our own heads.

For example… this guy is 5’3” and weighs 130 pounds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkRkPigvO9Y
    Hah, stick with it Strega, you've still got some life left in you. You're making good progress yourself. I'm really jealous of how fast you seem to be moving up with your press. Everything after 90lbs has been a grind for me in that lift. And Richard Hawthorne is officially one of my heroes. I've seen that video before but I never realized he was quite so short. My favorite thing about being short is pressing IN the power cage without having to move the catches to the outside.

Thanks for the kind words.

starting strength coach development program
    Today was Medium day. Power cleans did not go well, I couldn't even rack the last warmup. I'm not sure if I miscounted plates last time or what. I gave it several tries and sort of got one rep, but I was frustrated so I packed it in. I decided to try some front squats and mix those with some chins to save time.

I discovered what may be the issue with my cleans: the rack position is physically painful for my right wrist. I did the "first day of SS" style with front squats and had to stop at 30kg because the pain was so bad. I'm going to search the forums today for some wrist mobility tips, but if anyone has any please chime in here.

Squat: 126x3x5
    Bench Press: 64x3x5
    Power Clean: 50x1x1 (many attempts, only one successful rep)
    Front Squat: 30x3x5
    Chins: 6/5/3 (my wrist was hurting pretty bad on the last set)

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast