starting strength gym
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Short, skinny, and no idea what I'm doing

Default Short, skinny, and no idea what I'm doing

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    At the urging of Josh and Gillian at Crystal Coast Strength & Conditioning (I had a great time there this weekend, learned a lot, really got my money's worth), I'm starting this log. Something about public accountability and all that. My long term goals are to deadlift 5 plates and squat 4. Beyond that, I just want to be strong.

I'm a short and skinny bastard, and I can only fix one of those things. So that's what I'm trying to do. I farted around with SS about a year ago, but this is my first time Doing The Program in earnest. I've been at it for about 14 weeks. Here are my stats.

28 years old
    5'4 (and a half, according to the generous nurse at my last doctor visit)
    147lb (up from 120 in December 2014)

Everything is 3 sets of 5 except DL
    Squat: 260
    Press: 96.5
    Bench Press: 132.5
    Deadlift: 285
    Power Clean: 45 (this was the main point of my visit to CCSC)

My starting stats, in case anybody cares:
    Squat: 95
    Press: 60
    Bench: 75
    Deadlift: 135

After Josh kicked my ass Saturday, today was my first day back into the normal routine. I always use the SS warmup calculator as a guide, so I'll only post warmups if there's something anomalous.

Squat: 260
    Bench: 132.5
    Deadlift: 285

Everything felt pretty good today, despite how dog tired I was. Must have been the coaching from Saturday. Also remind me to get up on time Wednesday so I don't have to deal with the madhouse of a gym at 7pm. I'm headed out of town immediately after my morning training but I will be able to get in an afternoon workout on Friday so as not to completely fuck my schedule.
    Last edited by TheMageling; 04-06-2015 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Forgot age

I'm a short and skinny bastard, and I can only fix one of those things.
    How do you fix bastardness? When you find out let me know! No, seriously, you've come to the right place.

Your numbers are solid already but you'll go much further on this program.

I sense the force is strong in you!

Quote Originally Posted by peez View Post
    How do you fix bastardness? When you find out let me know!
    Heh, like I said, I can only change on of them...

Last Wednesday was a light squat day for me, but I upped my press thanks to the coaching from Josh:
    Squat: 210
    Pres: 98
    Chins: BW 5/5/4

I missed the third workout of the week due to travel, but I made up for it this morning with more progress:
    Squat: 265
    Bench Press: 135
    Power Clean (actually hang cleans for now): 65

I have a long way to go on the cleans, but they're pretty fun at this weight. Bench press continues to be a struggle for me, but 2.5lb jumps should do me good for a while.

Oh, to be 28 again. The numbers look strong. Keep up the good work.

I appreciate the words of encouragement, you two.

Today was light squat day, but damn if it didn't feel heavy for some reason.

Squat: 215
    Press: 100
    Chins: 6/6/4

Press was tough as usual, and I'm sure the last few reps were hideous, but I got them and I look forward to doing it again next week. Progress is always encouraging for me. I was stretched pretty thin on money the last week so I wasn't able to get my usual protein drinks in. I ate sandwiches and drank plenty of milk between meals, but I think the lack of protein led to some discomfort and fatigue. Eating is very important, who knew? Today is payday so a trip to the store is in order.

Good progress! BTW you can buy protein powder in bulk at pretty low prices - if you head over to the nutrition forum I am sure folks can recommend good sources! It may lower your overall food cost.

I might have to look into that, peez.

Today was progress but I ran out of time due to an early morning work meeting (trust me, I would have rather been deadlifting):
    Squat: 270
    Bench Press: 137.5

I'm really frustrated that I couldn't DL, so I think I will DL Monday, do PC Wednesday, and try to DL Friday. Squats were really tough, the last rep of each set was incredibly slow. I'm still planning on trying 275 Monday! I am sure I can nail it with some good rest this weekend.

Bad news, I missed some reps today. I guess it's all part of the process.

Squat: 275 (4/4/3 on the work sets)
    Press: 101.5
    Deadlift: 295

Everything but the press was pretty tough this morning. I slept like crap last night (hockey had me all riled up), that may have had something to do with it. I'm going to eat a lot this week and get good rest and try 275 again on Friday.

I read Practical Programming over the last few nights and I made some adjustments to my training. As suggested in the book, I'll alternate pulling with back extensions and chin/pull ups.

Today was light squat day.

Squat: 220 2x5
    Bench press: 140
    Back extensions: 11/10/10
    Pull ups: 4/4/4

This was a bench PR for me. As always I am frustrated with my lack of upper body strength. I'll get there eventually, I suppose. Friday is another attempt at 275 squat! I am excited, especially since I never in my life thought that a 220lb squat would feel "easy."

starting strength coach development program
    All the eating and sleeping paid off!.. for squats, at least.

Squat: 275
    Press: 103 5/4/4
    Power Clean: 70

Press felt incredibly heavy today, obviously. It was all I could do getting the 4th rep up. Squats were surprisingly not that bad, but spending 3.5 days worrying about it probably didn't help with expectations. I'm moving next week and I'm not sure how that will affect my training, but I shall soldier on as planned.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast