Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting less skinny

Default Getting less skinny

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Background:
    6'2", 34 years old, male.

Started training August 2014 in my tiny Seattle apartment, moving squat stands & saw horses from closet to living room each workout. Starting numbers:
    Weight: 167 lbs.
    Squat: 45
    Deadlift: 65
    Press: 45
    Floor Press: 45

I starting training with the empty bar per stronglifts, like a dummy; am now doing advanced novice programming. I reset my DL way down a few months ago due to back injury, and it's yet to catch up with my squat. Other NDTP activities include: not doing chins, not doing powercleans, and doing floor presses instead of bench presses because I have no more closet space to store a bench.

Yesterday's workout (4/13/15):

Weight: 196 lbs
    Squat:
    330x3 (intent was 5 reps, failed at 4th rep)
    305x5
    305x5

Press:
    113x3
    113x3
    113x4
    95x8

Deadlift:
    295x5

I'm worried about how much further I can progress doing advanced-novice programming given my squat miss yesterday, but I've missed quite a few times in the past and have been able to keep progressing, so we'll see.

Here's a chart showing my progress to date:
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jnelson5446; 04-14-2015 at 03:48 PM.

Floor presses sounds very difficult and perhaps may not allow you to do the SS Bench press. But one does the best one can with limitations taken into account.

Welcome. Your graph looks nice. I gather you have no garage and you don't live near a gym. Bummer.

Unusual that you squat more than you deadlift. It's usually the other way round.

Good progress regardless. Keep it up!

Thanks for the nice welcome, Carson & Lion Heart.

4/15/15
    Squats (light day)
    225x5
    225x5

Floor press
    192x3
    192x3
    192x3
    165x8
    165x3

Thanks for the encouragement mgilchrest!

Saturday, 4/18/15
    Squats
    330x4 (failed to get 5th rep up)
    305x5
    305x5
    275x6

Press
    114.5x3
    114.5x3
    114.5x4
    95x10

Deadlift
    295x5

This is the second workout in a row where I've failed to squat 5 reps of 330. Last time I only got 3; this time I got 4, so that's improvement. I think if I eat enough over the next couple days that I'll get all 5 next time.

Looks like pretty good progress to me. I wouldn't worry about how long you can keep doing advanced novice, and just keep doing it. To me it looks like your lifts are still on a roughly linear increase, just a little bit more gradual than when you started. Good for you keeping it up in a little apartment. I never had the motivation to work out at home.

Wed, 4/22/15
    Squats
    330x2. Reracked. Tried one more and got stuck at the bottom. Intent was 5 reps, and then a couple backoff sets.

Floor Press
    193.5x3x3
    165x7

This is the 3rd time in a row I failed to squat 330x5. Pretty bummed, and not really sure what to do now. I was really looking forward to pushing the weight up, and don't want to reset. I was very busy at work and didn't eat lunch the day of this workout, but then stuffed myself like an hour before. So not sure how much of a contributor that was, or if a reset or programming change are needed.

So I could
    i) try 330 again Friday and make sure to eat/sleep enough,
    ii) reset back down to 300ish and continue advanced-novice programming
    iii) Switch to HLM (or similar) with a small reset

Maybe time to post a question in the training section...

Quote Originally Posted by jnelson5446 View Post
    Wed, 4/22/15
    Squats
    330x2. Reracked. Tried one more and got stuck at the bottom. Intent was 5 reps, and then a couple backoff sets.

Floor Press
    193.5x3x3
    165x7

This is the 3rd time in a row I failed to squat 330x5. Pretty bummed, and not really sure what to do now. I was really looking forward to pushing the weight up, and don't want to reset. I was very busy at work and didn't eat lunch the day of this workout, but then stuffed myself like an hour before. So not sure how much of a contributor that was, or if a reset or programming change are needed.

So I could
    i) try 330 again Friday and make sure to eat/sleep enough,
    ii) reset back down to 300ish and continue advanced-novice programming
    iii) Switch to HLM (or similar) with a small reset

Maybe time to post a question in the training section...
    How's the bodyweight?

How's the bodyweight?
    I gained about 1.5lbs during the couple weeks leading up to my 330 attempts, but it has been fairly level @196 over the last 10 days while I've been attempting this weight.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by jnelson5446 View Post
    I gained about 1.5lbs during the couple weeks leading up to my 330 attempts, but it has been fairly level @196 over the last 10 days while I've been attempting this weight.
    If you reset a little, can you get it up to 205 by the time 330 comes around again?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast