starting strength gym
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: IE's Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Thanks for the birthday wishes, everyone!

Just dropping in to leave a quick note - haven't lifted since the 24th. Went in on the 26th feeling pretty beat, tried to do OHP first since it was my only heavy lift but couldn't even get three reps out. Obviously overtrained.

I'm not expecting to make any progress this week but I should be able to repeat my last workout (or something very close to it) no problem. By next week I'm moving my log to the Intermediate forum and starting Texas Method. I'll post applicable links when appropriate.

8 months later...

Squat:

• 45x5x2
    • 135x5x1
    • 225x3x1
    • 310x2x1 (belted)
    • 400x2x1 (belted)
    • 380x5x3 (belted)

OHP:

• 45x5x2
    • 70x5x1
    • 95x3x1
    • 115x2x1 (belted)
    • 140x5x3 (belted)

Deadlift:

• 140x5x1 (mixed grip)
    • 215x3x1 (mixed grip)
    • 295x2x1 (belted, mixed grip)
    • 400x4x1 (belted, mixed grip)

Chins:

• -140x4
    • -140x3
    • -140x2

Treading water, nothing special to say. Not bad numbers for an 8 month absence, should've tried 390-395 on deadlift, too ambitious. Going to skip explanations of absence, because they don't matter. Back... Again...

Doing something new: I am waking at 4 AM, and lifting from 5 AM - 7ish AM. BEFORE work.

Working 8 hours at a desk job, dealing with a packed gym and everyone wanting to socialize (or fucking vape right outside the doors), combined with the grueling nature of my programming was wrecking me. Workouts were taking 3+ hours, I was screwing up my macros and delaying 40% carb intake until pre-workout at end-of-day was zapping my energy. Late at night I'd have trouble staying warmed up in the cold weather, and I was dealing with that "I'm exhausted, but I can't sleep because I just worked out and feel energy" problem that comes from finishing a workout around 9 or 10 PM. Which would, of course, result in my not getting enough sleep... blah blah blah...

Spent far too much time deliberating on...

• Getting a home gym (can't)
    • Switching gyms (excuses)
    • Rejiggering my schedule to allow early AM lifting.

Got tired of thinking, decided to do. I'm optimistic: macros and supplements are pre-planned with everything at the right times, not bad numbers for an 8 month break, and I feel pretty energetic considering how poorly I slept last night. Conference on 22nd may disrupt my new schedule, but worst case I'll push that workout to the 24th if I can't find a gym.

Mistakes I won't be making again:

• All instances of soda in my diet have been replaced with plain, carbonated water.
    • In absence of lifting, I've been alternating HIIT and LISS. I will complete one or the other, guaranteed, on rest days.
    • Verified thrice over that interval timer and lifting spreadsheets have correct values so there will be no misjudgements.
    • Planning on conservative 10# jumps until I hit 410 on squat/deadlift.
    • Upon reaching 410# on squat/deadlift, Wednesdays will become medium recovery days.
    • Upon hitting another recovery wall, likely around 460# squat/deadlift, I will move to Texas Method.

If there's a wall of shame for people who have fucked around with basic programming for far longer than a sane person ought to and repeatedly exhibited copious amounts of lacking discipline, I'll be happy to deliver my signed photograph, framed and ready to hang.

I expect early lifting to cure the majority of ills affecting my compliance and excuses for not changing programs. We shall see.

2/8/17 MACROS:
    Note: Ideally I will weed some of this fast food away, short on time for better planning/meal prep currently. IIFYM!

Additionally, I'm requesting a calcium, potassium, magnesium, and iron blood serum count from my doctor. Not sure if they exist, but I noticed from MFP that my calcium intake is quite high and iron intake is quite low, due to my reliance on dairy.
    Last edited by coleossus; 02-08-2017 at 02:11 PM.

He's baaaaa-aaack! Good to have you here again, IE! Strong numbers for such a long time off. Enjoy LP, TM will be a bitch.

Squat:

• 45x5x2
    • 130x5x1
    • 220x3x1
    • 305x2x1 (belted)
    • 390x5x3 (belted)

BENCH:

• 45x5x2
    • 80x5x1
    • 115x3x1
    • 145x2x1 (belted)
    • 180x5x1 (belted)
    • 190x5x1 (belted)
    • 195x5x1 (belted)
    • 200x5x3 (belted)

Deadlift:

• 140x5x1 (hook grip)
    • 225x3x1 (mixed hook grip)
    • 310x2x1 (belted, mixed hook grip)
    • 400x5x1 (belted, mixed hook grip)

SQUATS: They got rid of my favorite squat rack that was just perfect width. To accommodate other rack widths my arms have to slide out farther. Not a problem: forces me to focus on keeping shoulders wrenched in, which is improving my squat form. Probably had 400 in me.

BENCH: Probably could've squeezed out 205-210, but I was taking too long and getting cold.

DEADLIFT: This one's interesting today. Been thinking about KingoftheJew's advice on my deadlifting ("literally drag it up your legs"). Huge gut, gotta splay legs wide to lean down to get bar. Doing this with belt restricts breathing. Knurling on the regular or deadlift bars makes it impossible to make contact with my leg, so I tend pull way far out at a disadvantageous position. Asked the manager today if I could deadlift with the squat bar (yes), and the smooth spots on the bar are PERFECTLY located for me.

With the 55 lb squat bar and a determination to hook grip, I was able to pull 400 today, even with the larger bar diameter. It felt a LOT better, though the last two pulls of the work set started too far out because I had trouble breathing. Next time I'm just going to completely reset each pull and take a little more time, get a good breath, snap down and pull quick, instead of leaning over and trying to breathe at such a shitty position. Either way, the pull was a lot easier comparatively.

ASSISTANCE: Given the volume on benching today and coming up short on time, decided not to do dips today.

MACROS:
    2/8/17 2/10/17

CHATTER:
    New 1080p/60fps camera coming in the mail. Plan to renew the serious approach to monitoring form. Last run I failed to be disciplined in that because I was recording with a cell phone (fiddly) at peak gym times (had to move a lot). With a dedicated camera and an empty gym, I expect to be able to film my sets more regularly. Got some athletic tape for my thumbs for deadlifts, in case the hook grip becomes a problem in the future.

Come Monday, I'll have some form check videos. Thinking if fatigue starts introducing exaggerated bar creep, I may have to consider moving to TM earlier rather than later. Also considering starting light days next week instead of putting them off, but we'll see how I feel after Monday's workout.

Oh, and here's an amusing snippet:

Quote Originally Posted by peez View Post
    He's baaaaa-aaack! Good to have you here again, IE! Strong numbers for such a long time off. Enjoy LP, TM will be a bitch.
    Thanks, peez! I feel a little deja vu hearing that... Hoping the changes will help things "stick" this time.

Each time I come back, I fix a couple of things, one of these times (hopefully this one) I'll find the fix that is permanent and gets me beyond this hole I've dug myself into.
    Last edited by coleossus; 02-10-2017 at 11:07 AM.

Good to see you are back lifting!

BACKDATED: 2/13

SQUAT:

• 60x5x2
    • 145x5x1
    • 230x3x1
    • 315x2x1 (belted)
    • 400x5x3 (belted)

OHP:

• 50x5x2
    • 75x5x1
    • 100x3x1
    • 125x2x1 (belted)
    • 150x5x1 (belted)

DEADLIFT:

• 150x5x1 (hook grip)
    • 280x3x1 (mixed hook grip)
    • 345x2x1 (belted, mixed hook grip)
    • 410x4x1 (belted, mixed hook grip)
    • 410x1x1 (belted, mixed hook grip)

SQUATS: Shaky. Didn’t eat enough over the weekend.
    OHP: Uneventful, though surprised I’ve retained so much
    DEADLIFT: Same as squat. Repeating this lift on Friday; starting light days immediately.
    ASSISTANCE: Too shaky with the main lifts, wasting my time chasing these today.

MACROS: 2/11 | 2/12 | 2/13

CHATTER: Camera battery is so short it practically drained just during my squat warm-up sets. Going to look into some sort of superbattery to plug it into while I do my main lifts. Not even worth uploading the squat warm ups.

Family evacuated from hometown due to the whole Oroville thing, so they’re crashing with me for a few days. Still lifting, but my diet is probably going to go to shit for the week. Not often I get to eat my mother’s cooking. I’ll just pick back up when they leave.
    Last edited by coleossus; 02-17-2017 at 10:01 AM.

BACKDATED: 2/15

SQUAT:

• 60x5x2
    • 120x5x1
    • 180x3x1
    • 240x2x1
    • 300x5x3

BENCH:

• 50x5x2
    • 80x5x1
    • 130x3x1
    • 170x2x1 (belted)
    • 210x5x1 (belted)

DEADLIFT:

• 150x5x1 (hook grip)
    • 185x3x1 (hook grip)
    • 245x2x1 (mixed grip)
    • 310x5x1 (mixed grip)

CHINS:

• 3 @ -140
    • 2 @ -140
    • 2 @ -140

SQUATS: Uneventful.
    BENCH: Almost back to PR. That’s nice.
    DEADLIFT: Uneventful.
    ASSISTANCE: Working on maintaining really strict form on these chins. That, and increased bodyweight account for the drastic loss… And, well, I’ve never done much bicep work.

MACROS: 2/14 | 2/15

CHATTER: Macros were, predictably, shitty. Under the guise of trying to make up for my weekend’s lack of eating, I’ve been kind of all over the place. Nothing extreme, but not good. Think I’ll have my place to myself by the weekend, back on my regimen then.
    Last edited by coleossus; 02-17-2017 at 10:02 AM.

SQUAT:

• 60x5x2
    • 145x5x1
    • 230x3x1
    • 315x2x1 (belted)
    • 400x5x3 (belted)

OHP:

• 50x5x2
    • 80x5x1
    • 105x3x1
    • 135x2x1 (belted)
    • 160x5x1 (belted)

DEADLIFT:

• 150x5x1 (mixed hook grip)
    • 280x3x1 (mixed hook grip)
    • 345x2x1 (mixed hook grip)
    • 410x4x1 (mixed hook grip)
    • 410x0x1 (mixed hook grip)

SQUATS: Uneventful.
    OHP: Almost back to PR.
    DEADLIFT: Welp. I'm done deadlifting twice a week. At this point I'm just slowing everything else down. It was one thing to NDTP as a complete newbie, but at this point it's just foolishness to keep trying to push myself.

ASSISTANCE: Too zonked from the deadlifting.

MACROS: 2/16 | 2/17

CHATTER: Tired of wasting time trying to claw my way back to 465 squat/deadlift, getting burnt out, stopping for awhile, and treading water as I try to claw back again. I've been NTDP, and it was fine while it worked, but it's just becoming an excuse not to progress at this point.

Mondays will be power cleans, Wednesdays will be chins, Fridays will be heavy deadlift pulls.

This will persist until everything stalls. I'm not going to fuck around a whole lot with microloading - maybe a little bit, but I'm not going to go crazy trying to milk another 1/4th lb on pressing or anything stupid. If one lift stalls, I will give it a week or two of maintaining while I progress the other lifts - depending on how long it takes to stall everything out I may either decide "Hey, it's time to go to TM instead of keeping your lifts frozen" or I may decide "Hey these other lifts are still progressing at a good clip, so let's keep doing this until everything's stalled."

Not doing myself any favors bashing my head against the wall trying to maintain certain squat/deadlift ratios with the only effect being overtraining and loss of motivation. I don't mind making mistakes, but I hate making the same mistakes over and over again.

Also, you'll notice my warm-up values have changed. I tend to fudge warm up numbers because I think it's stupid to load a 35 and a 5 on a warm up just to unload them both for the next warmup when I could just slap on ONE 45 lb plate and move less plates around. Warm-up values more accurately reflect bar + Ivanko collar weights.

Work outs are now taking a much more reasonable 1.5 hours, instead of 3. This 4 AM thing is working out wonderfully. I have a gym picked out within walking distance from my hotel on Wednesday, so I expect to keep the train running through the out-of-town conference I have to attend next week.

Figured out a way more convenient way of linking Macros. So that's nice. Went shopping, have a fridge full of food to cook... Haven't had time with guests and everything. Yep - more excuses. Swear I'm going to fix these shit macros soon.

Last thing: Blood work all came back perfect. Other than low HDL (all cholesterol is low, HDL is low too because I'm fat/bad fat sources in diet), everything looks good. Was worried I was overdoing iron/potassium/magnesium supplementation, or getting too much calcium from all the whey, but serum levels were well within healthy ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by slowmotion View Post
    Good to see you are back lifting!
    Thanks, man! Great to be back. Like I said to peez' greeting, I expect to properly progress this time. Things are looking good, being careful not to make the same mistakes... Gotta get myself onto TM and a new Intermediate log and stop spinning wheels.
    Last edited by coleossus; 02-17-2017 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by incongruouserudite View Post
    Thanks, man! Great to be back. Like I said to peez' greeting, I expect to properly progress this time. Things are looking good, being careful not to make the same mistakes... Gotta get myself onto TM and a new Intermediate log and stop spinning wheels.
    TM, huh? You ready for that? Yeah, I guess you are. Just progress slowly and consistently, and five wheels for reps will be yours in the summer. You'll need a bumper sticker for that. One that just says "495". Maybe next to the 0.0 sticker.

BTW warmup, for warming up anything under 60%-70%, it doesn't matter much what's on the bar. During my run at 5/3/1 I OCDed on all the precisely calibrated sets (so much plate changing!) but honestly I think your body does not care whether it's 130 or 132.895 or 135 x whatever reps to get your blood flowing and finding the groove. All of these weights are arbitrary anyway and rounded to what iron is available. Until you get to your max.

starting strength coach development program
    IE where be u?

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast