• starting strength seminar august 2024
    Who I Am:
    Height: 6'
    Current Weight: ~345 lbs
    Current Bodyfat: ~44%
    Hobbies: Playing vidyagames and getting strong
    First lift: 10/26/14
    Total lifting sessions: 52, as of 05/11/15

How I Lift: I lift alone, no coach or lifting buddies. I ignore the mirrors and pay attention to my propriorception, I do not listen to music whilst lifting. As of writing I am currently lifting unassisted with the exception of straps on my final work set of deadlifts. I periodically record myself and use Kinovea to evaluate my bar path and other elements of proper form, in lieu of proper coaching.

Current status: Working up from a 10% deload to asses some concerns with form. Still enjoying 5 lb novice jumps. Not including power cleans due to concerns of form and gym's lack of bumper plates, and because Rip once told someone else to "just do more deadlifts, then" when they asked him.

Progression Totals as of 05/11/15:
    Note: Uneven OHP/Bench progression due to some bad math when reloading from previous breaks.

SQUAT
    Start: 140 lbs
    Current: 360 lbs
    Increase: 220 lbs

OHP
    Start: 85 lbs
    Current: 150 lbs
    Increase: 65 lbs

BENCH:
    Start: 130 lbs
    Current: 185 lbs
    Increase: 55 lbs

DEADLIFT:
    Start: 205 lbs
    Current: 415 lbs
    Increase: 210 lbs

Detailed training logs:
    Bodybuilding.com Profile (horrible community, convenient tracking tools)
    My vastly more detailed Google Spreadsheet.
    Last edited by coleossus; 05-12-2015 at 10:16 AM.

Welcome to the forum, IE! Another techie, eh? How tall are you, if I may ask?

Especially your squat and bench are strong, considering you've been at this for about half a year.

You may want to use the technique subforum here if you are looking for constructive feedback on technique. Lots of friendly, helpful people around here ...

Quote Originally Posted by peez View Post
    Welcome to the forum, IE! Another techie, eh? How tall are you, if I may ask?

Especially your squat and bench are strong, considering you've been at this for about half a year.

You may want to use the technique subforum here if you are looking for constructive feedback on technique. Lots of friendly, helpful people around here ...
    6 foot, even.

It's nice to hear someone thinks the numbers sound decent - all I can think about is the 20 or 30 workouts I missed over Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc. I could be even further than I am now! Gotta get dem gainz!

I may utilize technique feedback when I have sussed out what I see are OBVIOUS problems. There are some things I can see even with my untrained eye that are ugly and need to be fixed. A week ago I had a nasty hitch on my last two deadlift reps that I've fixed, and my last two squat reps swayed backwards far too much for my liking, and I've fixed that too. Nice straight bar paths with no hitching now.
    Last edited by coleossus; 05-12-2015 at 11:27 AM.

Regarding the thread you started on Rip's Q&A section let me offer some comments as well as for whether to loose weight first or get strong first.
    You are off to a great start, loosing a good chunk and lifting for half a year already.

- lift like your life depends on it. It does.
    - do so on a good deficit. Keep loosing weight.
    - get a coach who can help you if your finances allow it. From what I've heard you'll find no one better suited to help you than Jordan Feigenbaum - he can fine-tune a program for you that'll optimize strength gain and weight loss. It'll be great long-term investment - better than any 401K.
    - prove Rip wrong - you can do this.

Now get on with it! Less thinking, more lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by peez View Post
    Regarding the thread you started on Rip's Q&A section let me offer some comments as well as for whether to loose weight first or get strong first.
    You are off to a great start, loosing a good chunk and lifting for half a year already.

- lift like your life depends on it. It does.
    - do so on a good deficit. Keep loosing weight.
    - get a coach who can help you if your finances allow it. From what I've heard you'll find no one better suited to help you than Jordan Feigenbaum - he can fine-tune a program for you that'll optimize strength gain and weight loss. It'll be great long-term investment - better than any 401K.
    - prove Rip wrong - you can do this.

Now get on with it! Less thinking, more lifting.
    Already have the first two on lockdown. Unfortunately my finances currently don't have room for a trainer/coach at this time. I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to prove everyone wrong who ever doubted me, but this journey has to be for myself, not predicated on other people's expectations - but that's another philosophical conversation for another time.

Did 20 minutes of HIIT at a 1:3 (1:5 felt too easy) ratio on my lunch break today. Can't decide if I feel amazing, or if I want to die. Definitely going to be adding that to my rest days provided it doesn't interfere with my progression; if it does I'll just reduce the volume or adjust the ratio down to 1:5.

Hey congrats on your progress. I have been lifting for six months....coming from a pretty fucked up place in my life. Anybody who knew me 2 years ago is/would be pretty surprised I'm doing what I'm doing. I now cant imagine quitting lifting. Its really instilled some mental and physical toughness and discipline in me.

Those lifts are quite good. You've made impressive improvement over the short time of lifting. It is very good that you are dropping weight. I don't know what you goal is for that but training, with some cardio, will make you happier. This is not necessarily a program to cut weight but it is obviously helping you from the reports you entered in those links. Keep up the good work. It will bring you a great sense of achievement and well being. You will have a much happier and healthier future by starting on this path as a young man.

Quote Originally Posted by Merkin Weaver View Post
    Hey congrats on your progress. I have been lifting for six months....coming from a pretty fucked up place in my life. Anybody who knew me 2 years ago is/would be pretty surprised I'm doing what I'm doing. I now cant imagine quitting lifting. Its really instilled some mental and physical toughness and discipline in me.
    Thanks, Merkin! Six months is a great streak, keep it up! Make it a year!

I can't say I started in a particularly fucked up place, just incredibly lazy. I can relate to how poorly people adjust, and the discovery of wells of willpower I thought were beyond me.

My personal biggest challenge is how hard people seem to try and keep you in your box. Lots of naysaying and assumptions of inevitable failure or abandonment of goals, lots of unwanted and outright incorrect advice. I've undergone a big mental change and my physical appearance doesn't reflect that yet, and to people who can't see in your head it's laughable that you've made that change and will persevere with it in the long term.

I just keep reminding myself for every person who is negative about your progress, you can find two that are positive about it if you look for them!

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Those lifts are quite good. You've made impressive improvement over the short time of lifting. It is very good that you are dropping weight. I don't know what you goal is for that but training, with some cardio, will make you happier. This is not necessarily a program to cut weight but it is obviously helping you from the reports you entered in those links. Keep up the good work. It will bring you a great sense of achievement and well being. You will have a much happier and healthier future by starting on this path as a young man.
    Thanks for the encouragement, carson! It's certainly been an exciting path, I just wish I had a better understanding of nutrition when I started and I would've lost quite a bit more since I started, but I was ignorant and it took me awhile to learn how it really worked. I had a long habit of cutting too many carbs and leaving myself utterly sapped of energy, and would compulsively rebound and overeat to get back the energy I was lacking. But I've got that figured out now!

My ultimate goal is to get down around 20% BF and to take my physical strength to its absolute limits I can in my lifetime. I've never been into sports, actively or as a spectator, but something about lifting weights is an exciting experience for me and I look forward to all of it every day - rest days are so boring to me! As far as cardio goes, I've opted to introduce HIIT on my rest days per many suggestions. Extended cardio has a nasty habit of interfering with my recovery and interfering with my scheduling.

My official macro count at this time is as follows:
    Protein: 247g, 998 cal
    Fat: 102g, 918 cal
    Carbs: 245g, 980 cal
    total: 2896 calories

I'm not really a varied eater, I'm not fond of cooking because I'm terrible at it even when following recipes. I like to calculate macros for a pile of food and just divvy it up across the entire day - it's boring, but it works and I don't mind if I'm sticking to my macros. I try to keep the food more or less "clean" - lean meat, rice, sharp dry cheeses, etc. I also shoot for around 32-40g of fiber a day (sugarfree, unflavored metamucil is my friend). I also have my micronutrition pretty well figured out between a strong multivitamin and a few other accessory supplements - I'm a big fan of potassium chloride salt, I'm prone to low potassium muscle cramps if I don't get enough.
    Last edited by coleossus; 05-13-2015 at 10:34 AM.

WORKOUT 53:
    Almost back to my last PRs, but with much better form this time. I should be back to them on Monday evening's lift. Here's tonight's workout:

Squat:
    • 45x5x2
    • 120x5x1
    • 200x3x1
    • 275x2x1
    • 350x5x3

Bench:
    • 45x5x2
    • 80x5x1
    • 115x3x1
    • 145x2x1
    • 180x5x3

Deadlift:
    • 135x5x1
    • 225x3x1
    • 315x2x1
    • 405x5x1 (strapped work set)

Also did some curls for fun, not for any practical reason. It goes without saying that I won't repeat this if it affects my other gains.

Curls:
    • 20x5x2
    • 40x5x1
    • 60x3x1
    • 80x5x3

Once I get back to previous PRs I'll be introducing chins and the other assistance exercises I've been missing per recommendations from other members in my programming question thread.
    Oh - and I stuck to my macros today, but had a little extra carbs from half a bottle of Powerade. Felt a little laggy today, needing to catch up on some sleep.

... sigh, does tomorrow really have to be a rest day?
    Last edited by coleossus; 05-13-2015 at 10:00 PM. Reason: macros, workout count

starting strength coach development program
    in4gainzZZZz

To add to KotJ, rowers are good too, keep an eye on CL and you can get one cheap from people who've hardly ever used it (especially near/after the holidays). C2 rower is the king of rowers. And he's right about the BCAAs & creatine.

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast