starting strength gym
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DodgerDog: A Memoir

Default DodgerDog: A Memoir

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Background: 25 years old, very active growing up playing baseball, hockey, and surfing. Majority of my life I've worked out in some form or another. Had Microdiscectomy and Laminectomy on L4/L5 in 2012 because of a very large disc hernation that caused my pain for about a year and a half. Also have stenosis in the S1/L5 area. Looking back, maybe wish I hadn't had the surgery, but can't change that now.

In 2013 when I began working after college full time and sitting on my ass at a desk 10 hours a day back pain came back. Different pain than before the surgery. Sucked it up and didn't do anything about it for over a year. Decided to go back to a few doctors too get some opinions. Did physical therapy for a few months which helped a little bit.

Now: I've been working out lightly for the past few months, including a couple days a week swimming. Wanted to ease my back back into activity. Now after doing some research online I think heavy strength training could really help my back and I'm tired of feeling like an old man who can't do shit at the ripe age of 25. Plus I like lifting and always enjoyed lifting heavy.

Over the last 14 months I've lost about 50 pounds, from around to 240 to now about 190. Started losing weight and eating better originally to see if it would help my back slimming down a bit. Then it became more of a lifestyle. I now feel way fucking better than I used to.

Where I currently stand:
    Height: 6' 4"
    Weight: 190
    Bench (5RM): 170
    Squat (5RM): 185
    Press (5RM): 100
    Pull ups: 9

Have not tested deadlift, I plan on easing back into this slowllyyyy. I have done a few workouts at 135 and plan on adding 5/10 pounds a workout and see how my back handles it. Same for cleans. At this point I don't feel strong enough or confident enough in my back for them. Eventually when I get my deadlift up I will most likely try and incorporate them slowly. For now I will use pull ups in their place.

On my back: Overall now it feels much much better than it did in 2013/2014. I attribute this to stretching and mobility, some lame ab exercises, and having a job where I sit slightly less all day and move around a bit more. I think the big culprit here that fucked me up to begin with is all the sitting. I want to try and get a standing desk and am working on finding things that work for me.

Diet: I'll talk about this later, but gonna keep it fairly "clean" and just ramp the amount of food way up. I don't have that hard of a time gaining weight. I'll be tinkering with it, adding milk and other stuff, seeing what works for me.

Sleep: Aiming for 9 hrs a night, know how important this is.

I will be using this space to track my progress.

Welcome. Gaining weight will help you gain strength. Do you have the books. As the saying goes "I take iron for back pain." It works. Lift that iron young man.

Congratulations on finding Starting Strength - I am excited for this log. I don't have a lot of time right now but check out my log as I have a pretty similar history with the back pain. Proper strength training will change your life. If you haven't already, read the book thoroughly, get in person coaching with an SS coach (ideal), otherwise lots of form check videos. Read around the sub forums as there is a ton of great information.

Best of luck on your journey. Go Doyers.

Last night's workout:

Squat: 175
    Bench: 165
    Deadlift: 155

Will move weight up next time. 10lbs squat, 5lbs bench, 10 lbs deadlift.

Everything felt great. Unfortunately slept like shit last night for some odd reason woke up at 4 am and couldn't go back to sleep for an hour and a half. Annoying. Going to try and get a good nights rest tonight.

Bought the book, going to start reading it. Really looking forward to it. I've also read a lot of the online articles and watched all of the videos on this website and more on youtube.

Fridays Workout:

Squat:185
    Press: 105
    Pull ups: 3 x 5 with added 10 lb plate
    Did 2 x 5 of deadlifts at 135 to get my back a little extra work

Ate like a mad man this weekend but my sleep was shit. Working on improving my sleep habits. Starting reading the book this weekend and I'm about 20% done.

Last night:
    Squat: 195
    Bench: 170
    Deadlift: 165

Backs been feeling real good, been trying to stand less at work and I think the working out is helping.

Squat: 200
    Press: 105
    Deadlift: 175

Squats were very hard. I just finished the book. I Think I started with the weight too high. Going out of town for 10 days on Christmas, so I'm going to restart the whole program beginning of the year. For the next few workouts before the time off I'm going to drop the weight a bit and focus on my form.

starting strength coach development program
    Good call. Slow and steady wins the race IMO when it comes to strength training. Form is always #1

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast