starting strength gym
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Lifting More at the Shore

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by peez View Post
    The only question is what "it" refers to. Both something sure will!
    hell that counts as progress!

Quote Originally Posted by Agilic View Post
    Deadlift
    310x4 https://youtu.be/G7hHe8mtnQw
    Frustrating. Still amped up from squats and ready to finally crush these and move on to 3 plates. As usual, first 3 felt great and easy, and 4th was brutal, losing lumbar extension. Expecting some major DOMS in the lumbar for the next 2 days because of it . Folks with experience, please chime in here. I'm clearly stalled out on these. Do I deload (10%?) and try to work back up with 5s? That would take like 6 weeks and be frustrating. Do I do a very small deload and try 2 triples instead of 5s? Or do I do a small deload and do a top triple with a back off set of 5? Or something I'm completely missing? Thanks!
    Well, I don't know that I can claim experience, but I did notice something in both of your 310x4 videos. You're flipping hands after 3 reps, and then your 4th rep is really hard. Next time, try doing it without flipping hands just to see what happens. Maybe you're losing concentration, or maybe the bar is moving forward of your midfoot enough to make you miss the attempt.

This may not solve your problem, but it might be worth a try. (Of course, it's not really a valid experiment, because you may just be ready to hit 310x5.)

(At first I thought it might be that you're weaker with your hands in one position than in the other, but you start with a different hand under in the two videos, so that's not it.)

P
    Quote Originally Posted by cmynhier View Post
    Well, I don't know that I can claim experience, but I did notice something in both of your 310x4 videos. You're flipping hands after 3 reps, and then your 4th rep is really hard. Next time, try doing it without flipping hands just to see what happens. Maybe you're losing concentration, or maybe the bar is moving forward of your midfoot enough to make you miss the attempt.

This may not solve your problem, but it might be worth a try. (Of course, it's not really a valid experiment, because you may just be ready to hit 310x5.)

(At first I thought it might be that you're weaker with your hands in one position than in the other, but you start with a different hand under in the two videos, so that's not it.)
    Thank you sir. It certainly will not hurt to try.

Just a random thought I've had recently too is, could the fact that I was squatting high (not to depth) have been hurting the development of my deadlift strength off the floor? Maybe someone smart knows the answer.

I feel like getting a halfway decent squat will help drive all my other lifts, really. Oh well, just hit 217.5x3x5 to depth. Small progress.
    Last edited by Agilic; 09-23-2015 at 05:14 PM.

Only slept about 4 hours last night + an hour nap later on......feeling tired by the time I got to it at 6:15.

Bench (I)
    165x5
    Had to work for the 5th. Going to try intensity upper body movement before squats and see if it effects the squat because I feel like bench and press back to back once I'm going for PRs would be a problem.

Squat
    +2.5 217.5x3x5 https://youtu.be/48_ajr7pmxU
    Couldn't quite get them into the zone I had on Sunday, but not bad. First set was the toughest, with the 5th being a grinder. Then I got angry and really attacked them out of the hole making the 2nd and 3rd sets not too bad.

Press (V)
    90x5x5
    Easy.

Chin-ups
    +6.25lb 3x5

Quote Originally Posted by Agilic View Post
    I feel like getting a halfway decent squat will help drive all my other lifts, really. Oh well, just hit 217.5x3x5 to depth. Small progress.
    Yep, improving your squat should help drive your deadlift up.

(I don't know how typical it is to have a deadlift so far ahead of squats, though. I think the ratio is a lot closer for most people.)

Quote Originally Posted by cmynhier View Post
    Yep, improving your squat should help drive your deadlift up.

(I don't know how typical it is to have a deadlift so far ahead of squats, though. I think the ratio is a lot closer for most people.)
    Every time I've lifted its been this way. It's still a mystery to me why my squatting strength is so awful.

Press
    +2.5 102.5x5
    Had to work for the 5th.

Squat
    +2.5 220x5, 205x2x5 https://youtu.be/tnP3gRlQSDM
    First set felt brutal...5th rep grinder, so I backed off to 93% and they were still pretty tough. Not a good squat day.

Bench
    147.5x5x5

Deadlift
    275x5 https://youtu.be/48Pk6erfXEI
    Left hand supinated. Just over 10% deload - plan from here is 285, 295, 305, then go for 310x5 again.

good stuff!

deadlift
    Heavy duty work printer x 5
    It took this many reps for them to get the wood blocks set properly underneath. I just kind of jumped in and lifted it while a few coworkers were discussing a plan to get it lifted, as "there's no way one person can lift this thing." Little did they know, their was a squatter/deadlifter in the house. Strength usefulness ftw ��

starting strength coach development program
    ha!

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast