starting strength gym
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Lifting More at the Shore

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    great stuff! you know, i've found that gripping the SHIT out of the steering wheel of my car for 5 second spurts has helped my deadlift grip a lot, but of course ymmv.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    great stuff! you know, i've found that gripping the SHIT out of the steering wheel of my car for 5 second spurts has helped my deadlift grip a lot, but of course ymmv.
    Very interesting, thanks for sharing, I may just have to try this. My grip has never been that strong and iirc I used to switch to alternating grip around 250-275. Plus, this will likely have the added bonus of making my wife think I've really gone off the deep end.

Another Friday morning session after Weds. night (33 hours). Will have to keep an eye on this as weights get heavier and possibly switch to a Sun/Tues/Thurs. This works better for now though.

Squat
    +10 135x5x3
    Fine

Press
    +5 75x5x3 https://youtu.be/J5VjUBIu9lk
    Form check please. Still been working on my front left shoulder, and thought I had the adhesion all the way worked out, but the only time I really feel it is in the rack position of the press.

Deadlift
    +10 215x5
    All DOH. Used chalk which definitely helped some but these for sure felt heavier than 205.

Only on 4 hours sleep. Gonna try to get in a nap before work.
    Last edited by Agilic; 06-26-2015 at 05:57 AM.

Hi Agilic,

on the press, you are on the right path, but you need a lot more hip movement forward & snap back, and dive under the bar more quickly. Hard to see from the side but you might need to move your elbows more forward, not flare them to the side as much.

Thanks Peez, appreciate the feedback big time, will definitely work on those things. I'll also shoot the next press check from 45 degrees.

Today, I did a 40 minute walk with 20 lb weight vest aka my son, modest pace.

Haven't talked about my diet much since I started the log, but it's been pretty clean and solid, possibly on the low side calorie wise as I haven't gained any weight since starting. Haven't been eating any empty calorie type foods....lots of chicken, veggies, a sweet potato every day, double egg and cheese on whole wheat every morning, 24 oz. of whole milk per day.

Sunday again instead of Monday so I'm on a W/F/S so far. Walked dog 20 min for warm-up no weight vest. Also do just a little bit of dynamic work before getting under empty bar.

Squat
    +10 145x5x3
    Easy. Everything feels solid, only question is am I going an inch or two too deep and losing lumbar tightness? Trying to focus on staying tight as possible and cutting it a little bit shorter than I'm used to. I'll probably get a form check up this week or next as the weights get reasonable and they resemble actual squats.

Bench
    +5 110x5x3
    Easy and fast. Starting to remember how to really squeeze the bar and explode on these lifts. Could have done a +10 but oh well, slow and steady she goes.

Deadlift
    +10 225x5
    Again, really focused on squeezing the poop out of the bar each rep. Used chalk, all DOH, and these felt easy and fast.

6/30/15
    1 hour of tennis, pretty low intensity. I'm rusty and guy I played with was not very good.

7/1/15
    Squat
    +10 155x5x3
    Not hard.

Press
    +5 80x4, 80x5x2
    Huh? 5th rep 1st set got stuck around my nose. 2nd set felt good, 3rd set 5th rep was a grinder and I probably had a little layback. Form must be wonky because I used to strict press 110 or 115 for 5s. I'll get a check up next time, was rushed today.

Deadlift
    +10 235x5
    Reps were not difficult, but grip almost gave out on 5th rep. May have incorporate some mixed grip soon. Is this pretty early for grip to be an issue in yalls experience? I have pretty small hands for a 6 footer.

Under the bar at 5. Squatted and warmed up bench but kid got up at 5:30, 30m earlier than usual, so I was with him until about 8, then got back to it. Some left hamstring tightness immediately post work-out both Wednesday and today......have had plenty of problems with this hammy in the past (I've probably pulled every leg muscle in my body at one point or another) so it's something to keep an eye on.

Squat
    +10 165x5x3 https://youtu.be/3VSXzNRavgQ
    Shot the 3rd set from behind, just for something different, see if anyone picks anything up.

Bench
    +5 115x5x3
    Bar was trying to feel heavy, but I pushed the thing too damned hard and fast.

Deadlift
    +10 245x5
    4 doh, almost lost 4th rep out of hands on the way down. Supinated lh on final rep, which made it not difficult. This is the first time I had to put 2 plates on the bar, so I broke out the dead wedge for the first time, and it works as advertised. Would have been a nice little tool to have in the bag back in the day.
    Last edited by Agilic; 07-03-2015 at 06:49 AM.

Paddleboarded in the afternoon for about 30 minutes. Evening lift:

Squat
    +10 175x5x3 https://youtu.be/3mlXCfgtG8E
    Check please. Had a Rogue Monster Lite spotter arm get bent somehow, so I'm without safeties until they replace (hopefully, given terrible previous customer service experience with them). These weren't very difficult, and the 3rd set was actually probably the easiest, but I think I'll drop it down to 5lb increases to play it safe. 60lbs/month would be fine by me.

Press
    +0 80x5x3
    So much better than last time, no grinders. Forgot to video 3rd set. Will probably just microload these.

Deadlift
    +10 255x5 https://youtu.be/9to09JdXn10
    3 doh, mixed grip last 2. Haven't had a form check since 185, not sure how I feel about a few things, curious on overall opinions

Ate just about a full size roasted bird post workout, after having an enormous piece of salmon for lunch. Proteinnnnnnnnnn
    Last edited by Agilic; 07-05-2015 at 06:36 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Squat
    +5 180x5x3 https://youtu.be/13lniwNXbEk
    Not difficult in the slightest. Self-critiqued myself from last video to get bar a little lower, lean over a little more so back angle stays constant throughout, and to cut depth an inch or 2 to maintain lumbar tightness. Thoughts?

Bench
    +5 120x5x3
    15 explosive reps, as it should be at this weight.

Deadlift
    +5 260x5 https://youtu.be/RVfYYI9agLY
    Was planning 10lb increase due to 255 not being difficult, but decided to take my time and make sure no technique flaws creep in (assuming I'm passable right now). Good thing I went for 5 - this was about 9,000x harder than 255. Every rep was tough, and only did the first one doh, then the last 4 mixed. Have a tough time getting comfortable (knees out into elbows) with mixed grip. Really focused on getting and keeping upper back tight. Hopefully this was just an off day as my previous DL 5rm was like 20% higher than this.

Also want to note that I experienced some tightness in the left hammy again. Literally only time I feel it is straight AFTER my DL work set and then it's gone within a few minutes. Something to be concerned about? Is it something I should try rolling out with a lacrosse ball/PVC pipe?

Perhaps this is a sign to move DL to every other workout? I can't recall what the recommendation is for exactly when to stop DLing every workout. I'm debating between trying PC again or just doing chins. I've only tried PC for a couple weeks in the past and got pretty bad elbow pain and gave it up. It seems like from reading around these forums that most people just chin and don't barbell row. Iirc, I used to do something like DL/chin/DL/Row/DL.......repeat. Thoughts?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Agilic; 07-08-2015 at 01:34 PM.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast