starting strength gym
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Lifting More at the Shore

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    30 min of afternoon standup paddleboarding. Oof, didn't realize until some saltwater hit it that a callous had ripped off my right hand from deadlifting!

Get a form check with your deadlift brother, I pulled 265 and it felt like the hardest thing ever, than a week later 280 felt much lighter, it was my bad form and setting my hips too low and the bar moving away from my legs instead of straight up. And I switched to alternating DL with PC after about two and a half weeks.

Squat
    +5 185x5x3
    Felt like the first time I had to work a little, but no grinders.

Press
    +2.5 82.5x5x3 https://youtu.be/YE3JkRfdtYA
    2nd set had some layback on 5th rep. 5th rep 3rd set on slower side. Tell me what I'm doing wrong? I feel like I'm driving hips forward as far as I can but video looks like I barely am. Was making a conscious effort to try to get elbows forward as well.

Don't have access to old logs, but I remember not having much trouble with these until 100lb territory.

Chins
    10 singles.
    Didn't time them but maybe 30-45 seconds between reps. Pleasantly surprised actually being able to still do a full strict chin.

Up against time today.
    Last edited by Agilic; 07-10-2015 at 11:25 AM.

Press looks solid to me. You're adding weight. Id' say all is good & keep at it.

Squat
    +5 190x5x3 https://youtu.be/9idUA4r5bQI
    Solid. Main focus is getting depth just right. Have an old habit of going too deep, but I definitely don't want to cut them off high, so I video'd my last couple warm-up sets and all 3 worksets for feedback as I went.

Bench
    +5 125x5x3
    All 15 fast.

Deadlift
    +5 265x5 https://youtu.be/DmnCfrJWSVM
    2 doh, 3 mixed. After reading through a whole bunch of form checks around these forums, I cued myself to get weight back onto heels more, squeeze the back even tighter than I thought possible, and think about initiating pull with quads. It looks like it is creeping toward my old technique where hips get low and then rise before pull. I'm gonna keep tinkering and I think do better at 270.

Any and all feedback welcome.
    Last edited by Agilic; 07-13-2015 at 11:56 AM.

30m walk pushing the prowler aka my son's stroller through the park today

No videos today - had a guy working on my garage doors right where I normally film from.

Squat
    +5 195x5x3
    First landmark, basically my body weight. Definitely have to work some now. No real grinders, 15th rep was noticeably slower, but I think I held my technique pretty solid.

Press
    +2.5 85x5x3
    Guess my technique is getting tighter, these felt easier than 80 and 82.5 combined. Bar flew up.

Deadlift
    +5 270x5
    Not too bad. When squeezing back, made a concious effort to keep hips up and initiate with quads. Weight back. Did 3 doh, but I didn't fully lockout the third rep due to grip slipping. I'll count it anyway. I'm going to just reduce my deadlift from 3 to 2x per week right now, and then reduce it to 1.5x and then eventually 1. So basically my middle lifting day will be chins instead of deads. Ripped another callous off my right hand, right under my pinkie finger this time, damn.
    Last edited by Agilic; 07-15-2015 at 01:24 PM.

Any reason you're not doing power clean? Either way I definitely suggest cutting back on deadlift, it takes a while to recover from which is why Rip basically programs it so a month or so in you're only doing it like every 4th workout. Also, does doh mean double over hand? I switched to alternate grip for my work sets around 225, helped a lot with grip issues. Keep up the good progress!

Quote Originally Posted by Agilic View Post
    30m walk pushing the prowler aka my son's stroller through the park today
    those can be the most satisfying workouts

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTom View Post
    Any reason you're not doing power clean? Either way I definitely suggest cutting back on deadlift, it takes a while to recover from which is why Rip basically programs it so a month or so in you're only doing it like every 4th workout. Also, does doh mean double over hand? I switched to alternate grip for my work sets around 225, helped a lot with grip issues. Keep up the good progress!
    Years ago I tried it and got some real bad elbow pain from it and kind of just gave it up. Right now I really don't have the time to re-learn and perfect the technique but I plan on implementing it at some point.

In regards to deadlift, I agree 100%, but given that I'm not pulling to failure yet and it's not overly taxing, I'm going to see how it goes just dropping it to to 2x per week for now (I've pulled 325 for 5 in the past with worse form, so I don't want to slow potential gains too much), but will probably move it to every other workout (1.5x per week) before too long, and then eventually once per week when it's real tough to pull and taxing.

and yes, I'm shortening double overhand to doh, and I try to stay with that for as many pulls as I can in order to strengthen my grip, and then switch to mixed when absolutely necessary.

Thanks for the comments

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast