starting strength gym
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: SeanThornton gets back in fighting shape!

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    LOL, nice compilation! I don't think I've seen any of those Rob Schneider movies, I didn't know he was known for saying that.

At any rate, no idea what the heck was wrong with me yesterday, but today I felt fine, and went for it.....

5/3/19

Weight - 178.8

Deads - 300 x 5 (PR!!)

I have dubbed today el tres-o-oh de Mayo I don't know what percentage of the human population has deadlifted 300#, but I can now be added to that list

Getting back to my occasional topic of when is a set not a set.... first three reps took about 33 seconds, the next rep took about 32 seconds, and the last rep took almost exactly 1 minute. No pains, problems, or anything of the sort, I just run out of air, and have to rest enough so that I'm actually able to hold my breath long enough for another rep.

It also amazing, when I'm doing the set, I feel like my form is absolutely going out the window, just because it's so hard, but then when I look at the video, it looks fine. Our minds really can play tricks on us!

Thanks for the encouragement, Dd, and Rob Schneider!

5/4/19

Weight: 179.7

chins (minimal assistance): 10, 10, 9

I will move to unassisted chins next time. And thanks to Positronbomb for helping me figure out what to do with chin programming!

Skipped the Airdyne today. Have a metric ton of chores to do today, that should be enough conditioning, LOL

5/5/19

Weight: 181.6 No idea how I porked out by 2 pounds in one day, but there you have it!

OHP: 104 x 3,3,2,3,3

1st, 4th and 5th sets were a grind on the last rep. 3rd set, not sure what happened, other than I probably screwed up the layback. OHP is the hardest technique for me, and it shows.
    Will repeat the weight next time. Probably not that far away from my first reset/deload.

Tomorrow is going to suck, so will probably miss my workout. Time will tell

5/7/19

Weight: 180.1

As I thought, no time for a workout yesterday, so picked it back up today.

Squats: 250 x 3 x 5 (PR!)
    Went to triples, because last time, I was starting to get too gassed on the 4th rep, and was getting bent over too far on the way back up. The move to triples seems to have done the trick.

Good work, I may have to borrow your home grown HIIT.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesepuff View Post
    Good work, I may have to borrow your home grown HIIT.
    You're more than welcome to it!

5/8/19

Weight: 179.2

Bench: 160 x 3 x 5

After my mini-reset last month to work on improving my form (grip was too wide, wasn't getting any drive from the legs, etc), have almost worked back to where I was (next workout, 162#, will tie my PR). Only now, it feels more "solid", and I think I can definitely get a bit more increase before I hit reset #1.

Airdyne: Really been dragging since last week's two-in-a-row migraines, and skipped the last couple homemade HIIT sessions. Was going to do that again today, and then decided to at least do something, so I did the same 4 minutes, but skipped the HIIT part, and bumped my regular speed from 60 to 65 RPM.

5/9/19

Weight: 179.6

Deads: 305 x 3 x 2 (PR!)

Went with 2 sets of 3, per comments from Carson in another thread about my sets of 5 taking too long to be counted as a set. These sets were done in well under 30 seconds, each.

Noticed, in the last week, since the last two squat and last DL sessions, a little discomfort (I wouldn't call it "pain") in my left hammy. I think it's the hammy, above the knee a bit, on the inner side of the back of the thigh. Just
    "pulls" a bit under load. Just notice it a little bit outside of workouts. I'm assuming it's just the muscle reacting to finally being asked to lift some reasonably heavy weights for squats and deadlifts

5/10/19

Weight: 179.9

Chins: 6, 6, 5
    My first unassisted chins workout, and I was able to do at least 5 on each set!

My thoughts are, I'll stay at unweighted until I can do at least 8 on the first set, while maintaining at least 5 on the last set. Thoughts?

Airdyne: Homegrown HIIT

starting strength coach development program
    I think I started adding weight when I could do 9 reps but you could definitely make a start at 8.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast