starting strength gym
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: SeanThornton gets back in fighting shape!

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanThornton View Post
    Is there any reason to not go to alternating if I don't need to yet?
    There's no reason to use it if you can lift the weight with an overhand grip.

However .., and this is important, grip will soon become the limiting factor and progress will stop unless you switch eventually. And it will not feel as if the grip is failing, you will just not be able to budge the bar.

So that was kind of my question... do I wait til I >need< to switch, to switch, or do I just start switching now? Is there an advantage to sticking with conventional grip as long as possible?

do I wait til I >need< to switch, to switch,
    Yes, because your grip will get stronger that way. Double overhand for as long as you can. Grip strength is very important for the DL.

3/10/16 - BW: 195.8

12 days since last workout... sick, tons of family activities, etc, etc. Anyway, back to the lifting fun!

SQ - 45x5x2, 85x5, 125x3, 160x2, 195x5x3 (PR tie)(tough, but no issues. Repeated weight from last WO due to layoff, definitely can go to 200 next time)
    BP - 45x5x2, 72.5x5, 97.5x3, 122.5x2, 142.5x5x3 (PR tie)(Repeated weight from last WO. Tough, all 3 last reps were very slow)
    DL - 95x5x2, 130x5, 165x3, 195x2, 225x5 (PR, very tough set, bar is starting to slow down. Used conventional grip still, per peez's recommendation)

On DL, had my first bodyweight warmup set

One pr and two pr-ties after a 12 day layoff? Not too shabby. Maybe I should try that, too!

Well, I'm pretty sore today, so I guess that's my reward for pushing it

Also forgot to mention, the 1st warmup set for the BP was actually 75, not 72.5. I loaded the bar wrong, and the left side was heavier, by 2.5 pounds. And, remarkably, I could tell as soon as I lifted the bar!

3/12/16 - Conditioning!!!

My first conditioning since 12/29, so I was pretty gassed, pretty quickly. Took a different tack this year. Usually I start the spring with just doing some shortish runs (1-2 miles) at what winds up being a pretty slow time (~13:00/mile), and then I'm pretty sore for the next couple of days. Yesterday I tried something different. I used the running track at the rec center (1/11th of a mile), and did 2 fast laps/1 walking laps four times, then 1 fast lap/1 walking lap 4 times. The fast laps were ~8:15/mile pace, walking laps ~17:00/mile. After that, shot some hoops for about 15 min, then did 2 min on a rower (pushed it a bit), and then 15 min on a treadmill at a 15:00 pace. Today, very little soreness, and was ready to do my workout!

3/13/16- BW: 197.3

SQ - 45x5x2, 85x5, 125x3, 165x2, 200x5x3 (PR!)(tough, but no issues)
    OHP - 45x5x2, 62.5x5, 72.5x3, 82.5x2, 92.5x4x4 (PR!)(First OHP WO since 2/27, so very pleased with this. Again, thanks to hbriem for the 4x4 suggestion)
    Chins - 5x3, assisted (red & blue bands, no idea what that amounts to). Completed all reps, so even though I can't lift my fat ass enough to do one real chin-up.... PR!!!

Not sure exactly how I'll progress the chin-ups, since I'm not specifying anything in pounds. Certainly I'll reduce the assistance (I have three bands, blue, red, and green from most to least assistance), but don't know the approach. Do I go for more reps at a certain resistance, and then reduce it and drop the reps? For the WO today, 5 reps was pretty much it, even with the assistance. I did use a different grip width each set, going from just outside shoulder-width to just inside shoulder-width, and that last set definitely felt the best.

Curious to hear what suggestions others may have.

Bob

3/15/16 - Conditioning

Rec Center track (1/11th of a mile): 14 laps: (1 walk/1 fast) x 7. Total time 15:54, fast laps were in the 36-38 second range. Ran with my 18 yr old son, who never runs... "try to keep up with Dad". Ha ha, jokes on me. He stayed right with me, and wasn't even breathing hard!

3/16/16- BW: 195.4

SQ - 45x5x2, 85x5, 125x3, 165x2, 205x5x3 (PR!)(tough, but no issues)(have to say, I think I have all of my form issues worked out, because, other than being heavy, because it's a PR, these weren't bad at all)
    BP - 45x5x2, 70x5, 95x3, 120x2, 145x4x4 (PR!)(tough, and like last time, all the 5th reps were slow, but completed all reps without issue)
    DL - 95x5x2, 130x5, 165x3, 200x2, 230x5 (PR!)(tough, but so far, conventional grip is still holding up. Lots of rice krispy noises from both knees and left hip. Note to self, turn music up louder next time!)

I'd still like to get feedback from others regarding the chin questions I had from last workout.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by SeanThornton View Post
    I'd still like to get feedback from others regarding the chin questions I had from last workout.

Bob
    If it was me I'd start with one consistent pattern and build on that. Hands facing me so the biceps play a larger role in completing the chin. Shoulder width or narrower grip keeping elbows close to lats. Start with all the bands working three sets of five just like any other strength exercise. Decreasing resistance over time by removing and juggling what bands you use.

But......I am new to this and probably not the guy to listen to. Just seems to be a logical approach based on the scant knowledge retained here.

starting strength coach development program
    If it was me I'd start with one consistent pattern and build on that. Hands facing me so the biceps play a larger role in completing the chin. Shoulder width or narrower grip keeping elbows close to lats. Start with all the bands working three sets of five just like any other strength exercise. Decreasing resistance over time by removing and juggling what bands you use.
    Wawa is right, Bob. Posting it here to add to what he said.

That's what I did also and it worked for me - when I started I could do no chins at all. Every workout I did three sets (5-12 reps each) and over time dialed down the assistance level - at the time I went to a gym that had a machine for that, but bands work also. It't the same as any other lift - find your starting weight (as in BW minus whatever pounds through bands) and work your way up. I think I started wit 50-70 lb assistance - have to find my old workout journals.

I'd stick with about shoulder width grip for starters.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast