starting strength gym
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: SeanThornton gets back in fighting shape!

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    295x5 at 179 is great lifting. Nice.

4/28/19

Weight - 179.1

chins - As discussed up-thread, moved to less resistance. With my setup, this was the least assistance I could do: ~35# at the bottom, no assistance at the top. Moving the band down one more notch causes my feet to come off at the top.

Having said all that: 9, 9, 7.

So, I'll stick with this level of assistance, until I hit 10,10,10, and then I'll move to unassisted.

Airdyne - Homegrown HIIT

4/29/19

Weight - 179.3

OHP - 103 x 3 x 5
    Repeated the weight from last time, which was a bad day due to lack of sleep. No issues at all today, felt great, so will go back to adding 1# for next time.

Airdyne - Homegrown HIIT

Quote Originally Posted by SeanThornton View Post
    4/28/19

Weight - 179.1

Having said all that: 9, 9, 7.

So, I'll stick with this level of assistance, until I hit 10,10,10, and then I'll move to unassisted.

Airdyne - Homegrown HIIT
    That's a great result.
    You'll be adding weight before you know it.
    You should easily be able to achieve +30 lbs for 3 sets of 5.
    I started with 11lbs/5kg and then added 5.5lbs/2.5kg each workout.

4/30/19

Weight - 178.0

Squats: 245 x 4 x 4 (PR)

Did all the reps, so it's booked, but holy crap was it a tough workout. All the last reps felt like I was gonna be stapled! But it's done, so moving to 250# for the next workout, but 5 sets of 3. I don't imagine my first reset is that far off.

On a side note, I've now entered (kinda) the 700# club for powerlifting. 245# squat today, 295# DL on 4/27, and a 162# bench on 4/16. Granted, they're not all on the same day, but they're also for sets, so I'll take it

5/1/19

Weight - 178.2

Bench: 158 x 3 x 5

No issues, went pretty well. Still four pounds behind PR weight, since making the slight deload to work on better form with the proper grip width. So, wasn't expecting any issues

Airdyne: skipped. Was up most of the night with a migraine. Even though it's gone now, heavy exercise right after a migraine is, how would a doctor say it,..... contra-indicated LOL

Thinking about yesterday's squats, I think the big issue is coming up with the hips first, and getting too far "bent over". I need to get better at coming up with the chest at the same time as the hips, if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanThornton View Post
    5/1/19

Weight - 178.2

Thinking about yesterday's squats, I think the big issue is coming up with the hips first, and getting too far "bent over". I need to get better at coming up with the chest at the same time as the hips, if that makes sense.
    This is quite common. Often it indicates you have imbalance between your hip strength and quad strength. Hips tend to be stronger at the bottom of the squat.
    At some point it might be worth deloading and really focus on improving that aspect.

If you're aware of the problem you're 99% of the way of fixing it.

Quote Originally Posted by positronbomb View Post
    If you're aware of the problem you're 99% of the way of fixing it.
    Quite true, I have found it applies to almost everything in life. You have to know there's a problem in order to fix it, and once you know, you likely will fix it!

5/2/19

weight - 179.4

Well, another crappy night of sleep due to migraine, causing a pretty sore back, and now an angry GI tract. Reminds me of the Snickers commercial:

YouTube

Anyway, have made 17 days in a row for workouts, just gonna take today off, get some extra rest, and be ready to attack tomorrow's workout, which happens to be deads, and my first attempt at 300#

starting strength coach development program
    Good luck to you on the deads, sir. You can do it! YouTube

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast