starting strength gym
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: SeanThornton gets back in fighting shape!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    6/14/19

Weight: 181.3

BP: 152 x 5 x 3

LTEs: 67.5 x 5 x 3

Everything felt fine, no issues. Other than my knees killing me from squats yesterday, followed by 3 hours of yard work, mostly crouching down and on my knees!

Quote Originally Posted by SeanThornton View Post
    Other than my knees killing me from squats yesterday, followed by 3 hours of yard work, mostly crouching down and on my knees!
    I can relate. Our Daughter blew a tire yesterday. I went to her location and used the opportunity as a tutorial in tire changing on her 2012 Edge. I was in shorts and quickly discovered that hot asphalt combined with gravel makes kneeling uhh, unpleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    I can relate. Our Daughter blew a tire yesterday. I went to her location and used the opportunity as a tutorial in tire changing on her 2012 Edge. I was in shorts and quickly discovered that hot asphalt combined with gravel makes kneeling uhh, unpleasant.
    LOL, yeah! In my case, combine that with a 24 year old ACL procedure, where the notch they make in the bottom of your kneecap now has some extra growth right at the bottom corners, making kneeling on that knee impossible without padding. So, I carry my foam pad around the yard with me, makes me feel like an old man. I am "AARP old" already, but not old, old

Anyway, Saturday was supposed to be PCs and chins, but 5 yards of mulch moved 1 wheelbarrow-load at a time should suffice for the back workout. Meant to do the chins that night (fell asleep on the couch VERY early) or yesterday (Father's Day activities lasted all day ) Will just skip that, and pick up with my OHP workout later today.

As a testament to SS and strength training in general, finished the huge workout with the mulch Saturday, and woke up Sunday with no soreness, and ready to meet life head-on! Thank God for SS

6/17/19

Weight: 182.9

Did wind up doing the chins I missed on Saturday: 7, 7, 6

OHP: 98 x 5 x 3

That's a 3-sets-of-5 PR for me Felt pretty good, too!

Dips (+10#): 7, 8, 7

Used my new dip belt I got for Father's Day

Anyway, Saturday was supposed to be PCs and chins, but 5 yards of mulch moved 1 wheelbarrow-load at a time should suffice for the back workout.
    Yeah, 5 yards of mulch is definitely a good back workout. Next time you should LP the mulch. good job!

6/18/19

Weight: 182.4

Squat: 230 x 5 x 3

Once I get up to this weight range, I really struggle with getting bent over too much on the way up. I have started to slow down the ascent, trying to react by straightening up when I feel like I'm getting too far forward.

Pull-ups (one less rung of assist than last time, didn't measure how much assist it was): 6, 6, 5

6/19/19

Weight: 181.2

Bench: 154 x 5 x 3

That's a three-sets-of-fahves PR for me! And didn't feel like I couldn't have done a few more pounds for 5x3, so hope to continue the streak with 156 next time.

LTEs: 70 x 5 x 3

Since I've just started doing these recently... PR! LOL
    I'm enjoying doing them, and hope they'll contribute to some good tricep development. The only concern is, following Rip's video for these, I have trouble keeping the bar perpedicular when the "throw" happens. Hoping more practice (and strength, too) will help settle that down.

and ready to meet life head-on! Thank God for SS
    Very much this!!!

6/20/19

Weight: 182.0

DLs: 285 x 5

No issues, felt good

Chins: 8, 7, 6

Progress is slow since going to unassisted, but I'm just thrilled to be able to do unassisted chins again, so not really too concerned.

starting strength coach development program
    6/21/19

Weight: 181.4

OHP: 99 x 5 x 3

Totally stoked on this one. That's a 5x3 PR for me, and it was no problem at all. Of the four main lifts, this was the first one I reset (after getting to 105 x 3 x 5). On that run up, I was able to get to only 94 or 95 doing 5x3, and then had to move to 4x4, and 3x5 by the time I got to 99. So, I can see I've definitely gained strength, which is why we're all here, right?

Dips (+10#): 8, 9, 8

Felt really good today, no issues at all. Since I met/surpassed 8,8,7, I'll add 5# next time

Tomorrow is a crazy day, so not sure if I'll cram in a workout or not

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast