Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm not a freak of nature

Default I'm not a freak of nature

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've been doing SS since early December of last year. I've made
    progress, with a few setbacks. I seem to have fallen apart a bit
    recently, so I figured I'd make my shame public.

(But I won't claim to be a freak of nature, even though I've done
    315 for a single. ;-)

Stats:

46 year-old male (up from 45 pre-SS)
    195 pounds (up from 145 pre-SS)
    5'8" (up from 5'8" pre-SS)

I managed a good run without training interruptions through June
    of this year. My best for sets of 5 are:

Squat: 310 (started at 65, but jumped quickly to 135 before going to 5-lb jumps)
    Deadlift: 325 (started at 135)
    Bench Press: 185 (started at 65)
    Press: 110 (started at 65, but I've had a lot of problems)
    Power Cleans: 110 (started at 64 in April)

(I started power cleans late, as I thought my anthropometry precluded
    them. Adam Skillin convinced me I could do them, so I started doing
    them.)

I was gone for a couple of (non-consecutive) weeks in June, and my
    squat seems to have suffered for it. The best I've done for 3x5
    in the last couple of weeks is 275. I'm trying to LP back up to
    where I was.

There's also a possibility that I've suffered some form creep in
    my squats, specifically WRT depth. I hadn't been videoing myself
    until a week or so ago, and when I did it looked like I wasn't
    hitting depth. (So my 310 squat should probably be asterisked, as
    I have no video.)

I'm still mostly doing LP, although things have been shaky the last
    couple of weeks. I'd like to get back up to at least 315 on squats
    before I move on from LP (but I won't move on if I can keeping
    making gains.)

2015/07/02

Squats: 275x5x3
    Press: 105x5x3
    Deadlift: 315x5, 295x5

My last set of squats:

IMG 1691 - YouTube

I feel like I'm not quite getting deep enough. (I'll work on getting a better angle on videos.)

The 295x5 deadlift set was probably a mistake. This was my first deadlift workout in two weeks, so it killed me. I probably don't need to be doing backoff sets yet, anyway.

2015/07/05

Squat: 280x5,2,0
    Bench: 175x5x3
    Weighted chins: 25x4x3 (meant to be 25x5x3)

I don't know what happened on squats. I was trying to go for depth, so that may have thrown off my concentration otherwise. Here's the video of my second set:

https://youtu.be/Sa_4Te4rXJ4?t=35s

I go deeper than I have been on my first rep, not quite as deep on my second rep, then drop too low on the third rep and can't recover.

Motivating numbers man! I really want to hit 315 for a set of 5 before moving on. I started at 105, currently at 190. Did you make 5 lbs jumps from 135 every workout to get there? Or did you incorporate a light squat day, back off sets, or other advanced novice stuff?

2015/07/07

Squat: 275x5x3
    Press: 108x5x3
    Deadlift: 225x8

Went back a little on squat to try to work on depth. Another video with a non-optimal angle:

IMG 1701 - YouTube

WRT deadlifts, I did warm-up sets of 135x5, 185x4, 225x3, and then tried 275x2. For some reason, I couldn't break 275 off the floor, so I went back and did 225x8 just to do something. I'm not sure what the problem was. It may have had something to so with my "backoff" set from two workouts back.

Quote Originally Posted by MarineTom View Post
    Motivating numbers man! I really want to hit 315 for a set of 5 before moving on. I started at 105, currently at 190. Did you make 5 lbs jumps from 135 every workout to get there? Or did you incorporate a light squat day, back off sets, or other advanced novice stuff?
    I was doing a straight LP, although I had some setbacks (a funny sensation at the bottom of a squat that I thought was the beginning of a hernia, some bar stability issues that Adam Skillin fixed for me). I had a straight run from 250 up to 300. I flirted briefly with a light squat Wednesday (80%) from 300 to 310, but then I missed a couple of weeks of training and fell apart. I may try the advanced novice stuff again once I get back to 300, but I'll see how I'm doing at that point.

Chad,

I like your determination. As you know most of your squats are not to depth. Your toes my be a few degrees too wide and your feet may not be quite wide enough. You seem to be at your max on weight. Maybe cut it back a little and then build back up.

I'm wondering about your DL. I can't find a video of them. Have you thought of posting one?

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Chad,

I like your determination. As you know most of your squats are not to depth. Your toes my be a few degrees too wide and your feet may not be quite wide enough. You seem to be at your max on weight. Maybe cut it back a little and then build back up.

I'm wondering about your DL. I can't find a video of them. Have you thought of posting one?
    I have one DL video:

IMG 1693 - YouTube

I made this before looking at the suggestions for deadlift videos, so it's not suitable for a form check, but if you're really curious, you can look at it. Some notes:

- I'm using straps. I broke my pinky last October, and my grip strength is lagging a bit. I only use straps on work sets, though. (Or at least work sets above 300.)
    - The weird spacing on the plates is because I have crappy plates. I'm locking the innermost plate to keep things relatively stable.
    - I'm using a 35 and a 10 as my third plate. (Yes, I know that using 35's makes me less of a man.)

I'll get better deadlift videos up once my GorillaPod thingy gets here.

We now have three GorillaPods in our house, two for baby monitoring and one for the gym.

Similar to yourself, albeit at a lighter weight, I have had to back track weight on my squat as I had no video of my depth until recently. Not counting an injury I am sorting through now, I have had to de-load more than 15% to train myself to do the full ROM. The good news is that parts of my posterior chain now ache (in the positive way) post workout, indicating that I clearly wasn't recruiting properly at the higher weight with the incomplete ROM.

I've now taken to video on everything including the warmups and just delete them after a quick review after the set to make sure everything was ok. One minor tip that helped me was to put the camera at such an angle that the safety bars (running horizontal in your rack) would provide a reference to parallel for my legs. Once the angle of inclination of my upper legs passes parallel in reference to the safety bars, I know I have enough depth.... Of course, getting out of that depth seems trickier!

starting strength coach development program
    Yeah, I haven't been videoing my warmup sets, either. I probably should, at least so I can figure out where things start to go wrong. Who knows, I may not be hitting depth there, either.

Thanks for the tip on the angle. I'll have to play around with it to get it right.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast