starting strength gym
Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Fat broad seeks to become strong fat broad

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by chromoly View Post
    Feel better soon! I think something is going around...

Re press: if my last rep *almost* goes up I re-rack, rest a few seconds and try again. Usually it goes up, and I've been counting it/ moving up in weight next session. Hopefully that's not cheating.
    Of course it's cheating, but if it's working for you, you best keep on cheating!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Of course it's cheating, but if it's working for you, you best keep on cheating!
    It's worked for my past four press sessions. The moral of the story is that cheating works! And I have it on record that an SSC told me to do it too, haha.

Sorry to hear that you're under the weather. I think that allergies are terrible where I'm at...You think it's allergies or a cold?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldman View Post
    Sorry to hear that you're under the weather. I think that allergies are terrible where I'm at...You think it's allergies or a cold?
    Thanks. I do have allergies, but they're kept pretty well under with OTC stuff, and when I do have bad episodes they usually come with itchy eyes. This is just a really stuffy nose and an ugly cough.

Squat: 65 1x7, 105 1x5, 135 1x3, 155 1, 190 1x3, 195 1x3, 200 1x3, 205 1x3, 210 1x3
    Bench: 65 1x5, 105 1x3, 135 3x5 (BIG PLATES YEAH)
    Deadlift: 135 1x3, 185 1x3, 225 1, 235 2x3

Some pretty serious NDTP today, but I've been stuck in this reset mode for like two weeks now (counting all the missed workouts) and I felt like I was going to be squatting 185 and benching 130 forever and ever, so I fucked around and hit PRs on both lifts. Proper sets across on bench, even!

I don't like the assisted pullups anymore. I'm going to try doing one heavy triple on DLs every workout from now on. They're just more fun, aside from the "hey, gym, welcome to my butt" aspect. (I could face the room, but then it'd be "hey, gym, check out my cleavage." Butt is preferable.)

I feel like doing warmups with the empty bar just doesn't get me anywhere, particularly with squats, where it's hard to hit depth. Starting at 65 felt better.

Time to come out of lurking. . .
    Some very respectable numbers in the post previous. Keep lifting those fucking weights, Liz and do it for yourself, 'fatty'!
    ---
    You also raised an interesting observation about the bar warmup. With the exception of OHP, I find the warmup@45 to feel rather wasteful. I have seriously been considering a higher default start weight, especially for squats.

-Jeremy
    Last edited by Músculo-Tonto; 09-12-2015 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Solid performances here.

hot DAMN great work!

Great work Liz! Looking forward to seeing you keep moving those weights!

For the longest time, it was impossible for me to hit anything close to depth with the empty bar. Using the empty bar as a warm-up, I don't worry about hitting depth, just try to tell the muscles we are going to be squatting now and they figure out what to do. My second warm-up set, with weight on the bar, is usually fine on depth so I keep on moving.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Murphy View Post
    Great work Liz! Looking forward to seeing you keep moving those weights!

For the longest time, it was impossible for me to hit anything close to depth with the empty bar. Using the empty bar as a warm-up, I don't worry about hitting depth, just try to tell the muscles we are going to be squatting now and they figure out what to do. My second warm-up set, with weight on the bar, is usually fine on depth so I keep on moving.
    I'm thinking that bodyweight squats and then a starting set around 65 might serve the same purpose. I probably don't do enough stretching beforehand. Aside from depth issues, the bar doesn't balance well when empty -- there's not enough weight holding it down, or something.

Now, since I screwed around with the squats, I don't know what I should do tomorrow. Part of me wants to do another ascending set of 5 starting at a heavier weight to see how far I can go, and part of me says "no, go back to sets across," but with what weight? I guess this is a first taste of the joys of programming variations.

I want to get 225 before I have to leave town on the 28th for a week of conference-running hijinks (bad food, bad sleep, bad gym, no time) but it's gonna be a real squeeze. I might hit the gym this evening between the late game and SNF. It'll save me from fretting over the Lions box score.
    Last edited by LizF; 09-13-2015 at 02:31 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Bodyweight squats then moving up to 65 lbs sounds like a good plan. I would at least try it out and see how it feels.

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast