starting strength gym
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Fat broad seeks to become strong fat broad

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by LizF View Post
    Adam, I have a great deal of tried-and-true information on how to gain weight, but I suspect most of it's not program-compliant.
    When I join abzzoholics anonymous, you can be my sponsor!

I just had a great laugh at your log title, so thanks for that.

Not much better than a broad who uses the word broad.

Nice lifts, too. Good luck.

Augh oh my god today sucked.

Squat: 45 2x5, 80 1x5, 135 1x3, 165 2x5, 1x4, 1x2 -- coming up on the fourth rep of the third set I nearly lost it, so keeping in mind that you want your failures to be a surprise, I racked it, rested, and did a set of two.
    Bench: 45 1x5, 75 1x3, 115 3x5
    Dead: 235 1x1, 230 1x4 -- got overambitious again. sometimes I can add 10lb, sometimes only 5.

And I bailed out 3/4 of the way through my post-lifting cardio, feeling suddenly off-balance and weird. Ironically, I think I ate too much -- that is, too much heavy food right beforehand. Need to save the meat for after workouts.

My ass is starting to pop up big-time on the squats. I can correct mid-ascent but I've no doubt the results are ugly as shit. Thinking about deloading and working back up with particular attention to that point -- checking the forums for information, though any advice is appreciated.

Did pick up some material for the Stupid Gym Tricks thread, though.

Oh my god I hate my life.

Squat 45 2x5, 85 1x5, 125 1x3, 165 1x2, 155 1x3 & 1x5, 160 1x5, 165 single (on the second one the bar rolled forward, I failed and said fuck it)
    Press 45 1x5, 75 1x5 & 1x3, 65 1x4, fuck my STUPID ARMS
    Dead 135 1x5, 235 1x5 (more like a single and then 1x4 because after my first one the bar fucking rolled away from me, uneven spot on the floor so I had to move)

Made it through cardio but decided from now on I'm going to do less time/higher intensity. Heart/lungs are fine, body just feels weak as fuck after lifts because of course it does. I was able to do both when the weights weren't as challenging, but I think that's over.

I figure I'm probably not eating enough for major gainz, but for the overweight beginner finding that sweet spot between "too little for muscle growth" and "too much for someone who's already fat" is difficult. I've looked around on the forums but these discussions always seem to get derailed by some asshole saying we should all starve down to 10% BF before we even think about picking up a weight because we're disgusting and we're all going to die immediately. (Everyone else dogpiles them, which is why I felt comfortable signing up, but the topic inevitably gets lost.)

Welcome.
    As a dear woman friend once told me "stupid feminists ruined the perfectly good term "broad" for everyone ".

Did you look aroud here for eating habits? Some of us umm, fluffy folks have thrown out some good suggestions

Hey now, I'm a stupid feminist. I am reclaiming the word "broad" from its sexist origins, which are what ruined it in the first place. (oh god this board has emoji, I'm so sorry, just imagine I'm saying this in a light-hearted and friendly tone of voice)

I've been looking around the nutrition threads and I read "To Be A Beast" -- I know the basics of how to construct a diet, it's just that it's difficult to predict the effects on strength gain vs body recomposition when you're working with a relatively small statistical pool (of mostly dudes). I'm just trying to focus on getting my protein and leafy things, and keeping an eye on how my scale weight compares with my tape measurements.
    Last edited by LizF; 07-29-2015 at 10:42 PM. Reason: emoji are a damn scourge

Quote Originally Posted by LizF View Post
    Hey now, I'm a stupid feminist. I am reclaiming the word "broad" from its sexist origins, which are what ruined it in the first place. (oh god this board has emoji, I'm so sorry, just imagine I'm saying this in a light-hearted and friendly tone of voice)

I've been looking around the nutrition threads and I read "To Be A Beast" -- I know the basics of how to construct a diet, it's just that it's difficult to predict the effects on strength gain vs body recomposition when you're working with a relatively small statistical pool (of mostly dudes). I'm just trying to focus on getting my protein and leafy things, and keeping an eye on how my scale weight compares with my tape measurements.
    Are you a member of the ladies SS group on Facebook? We all know those complicated diet feels.

Melody, I didn't know that was a thing. Can't find it with search -- is it private? If you'd PM me the info, I'd appreciate it.

Haha, KOTJ is too kind but if you ever want to chat about being female and diet and lifting heavy weights, I'm game.

Want my big secret? If indeed you want to lose weight and get stronger, you're very likely able to. Don't listen to the guys who quickly say, no, it's one or the other. But getting stronger is the most fun.

starting strength coach development program
    Welcome!

You've got some solid lifting and great goals. Keep up the work and it'll just keep on getting more and more fun!

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast