starting strength gym
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Fat broad seeks to become strong fat broad

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Squat: 45 2x5, 65 1x5, 85 1x3, 135 1x2, 165 3x5 YES FUCK YOU 165

Bench: 45 1x5, 85 1x3, 120 2x5, 1x4, 1x2 -- just barely got rep 4 up, didn't try for a fifth because no spotter

Dead: 135 1x5 and then... nothing. Work set was 240, loaded it up, bar didn't fucking budge. Took the little plates off, tried with 225, went up a little but couldn't get it. Went down to 205, tried again, still couldn't get it up for one. Just... nothing was working. And there was a cute athletic girl doing dumbbell work a few yards away, damn it all.

So I packed it in and came home to eat something and think about my life. Dusted off my old FitDay account from the Dieting Days and reluctantly started tracking -- I hated it last time, because I got really squirrely about it, but I was being pretty unreasonable about calorie intake back then so hopefully it'll be different this time.

I think next week I'm going to start alternating with chinup/pullup work -- not that I can do one at the moment, but I'll do the negatives and hangs and all that stuff. Saw good tips on this forum for people who can't do an unassisted single yet. Is there a female action movie fan out there who doesn't secretly want to bang out reps like Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2?

Laughing at the "cute athletic girl" line. People who hit all their reps on machines and dumbbells are not impressive. What is impressive is failing, then getting right back on that horse, and failing, and repeat. Good days/bad days. We all have them. Keep it up. You will be in the 275 range before you know it. Only thing I can think of is make sure there is sufficient rest time.

Don't sweat it. Some days the deadlifts just don't come off the floor. Never mind the dumbbell bunnies. You have more character working to move a failed rep than some ditz thrashing away with 15s. Plus you're one of us.

As the man says, you are training now. People with dumbbells are exercising.

Did you jump from 135 to 240 without any warm-up reps?

Yeah, I hadn't previously needed warmups beyond 1x5 with 135. Guess it's time to add some.

Also, I have discovered that at 6:00 PM, eating the way I normally do, I've only had about half the calories I ought to. Never thought I'd be one to err on the side of too few calories. Always had a mental image of myself as an overeater, and I can definitely pig out if you put food in front of me, but I guess my daily habits aren't nearly what I thought they were. Hey, at least my macros are in line.

tl;dr I am a huge idiot who isn't DTP. But I can fix it! Grocery shopping tomorrow, plus I pulled all the meat out of my freezer and I'm going to make a big crockpot of shredded beef.

Warm-ups are good. I would bet you would have gotten it if you hadn't jumped over 100 lbs. 135x5, 185x3, 205 and 225x1 would not wear you out and you would be primed to get your work-set.

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    Warm-ups are good. I would bet you would have gotten it if you hadn't jumped over 100 lbs. 135x5, 185x3, 205 and 225x1 would not wear you out and you would be primed to get your work-set.
    This. ^

Oh, I don't care about the exercises she was doing, I just like cute people to think I'm hardcore.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by LizF View Post
    Oh, I don't care about the exercises she was doing, I just like cute people to think I'm hardcore.
    The very fact that you are attempting a deadlift over 200 pounds makes you hardcore.

Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast