starting strength gym
Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Fat broad seeks to become strong fat broad

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Following because of intelligent comments in the depression thread. Also best newbie poster on the forum.

FWIW Liz, I have followed Jordan's TBAB recommendatins for women (on my own, no coaching) and found it worked really well. Lost 10lb using it, while gaining strength.

I've definitely had those deadliftbarwontbudge days, and even on weights I've done before which is the hilarious part. I'm all like wtf?!?!? It's like it's some little kid throwing a tantrum and it wraps it's arms around the gym floor and will NOT let go.

and then up she pops two days later

great work and more importantly attitude!

Started to follow this thread. Also tried the deads that just won't move, they are the ones that take the most out of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Toot View Post
    Following because of intelligent comments in the depression thread. Also best newbie poster on the forum.
    Hooray! Is there a prize?

(If the prize is "will not get kicked around and laughed at," I am totally cool with that.)

Quote Originally Posted by Viola View Post
    FWIW Liz, I have followed Jordan's TBAB recommendatins for women (on my own, no coaching) and found it worked really well. Lost 10lb using it, while gaining strength.
    Thanks! I've got FitDay set up with his recommended recomp macros. Hopefully I can get back on the LP without too much trouble. I can tell I need to eat more about 3-4 hours before my workout -- I need more calories, but I can't lift right after eating more than a protein shake or my stomach feels weird.

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    Warm-ups are good. I would bet you would have gotten it if you hadn't jumped over 100 lbs. 135x5, 185x3, 205 and 225x1 would not wear you out and you would be primed to get your work-set.
    Quote Originally Posted by dedman77 View Post
    This. ^
    This is great advice. You'll hit it next time. The DL can be very finicky--and frustrating--at times.

another thing on the DL,
    you just PRed the squat, right?
    sometimes my DL dies after those squat breakthrus

You are all so nice. Seriously. I fail on my lightweight DL because I did a bunch of stuff wrong and you're still cheering me on. It means a lot.

starting strength coach development program
    WITNESS ME

Squat: 45 2x5, 75 1x5, 105 1x3, 135 1x2, 170 3x5

Press: 45 1x5, 75 3x5

Deadlift: 135 1x5, 185 1x3, 225 1x1, 240 1x5

Food! Who knew?? (Answer: literally everyone but me.) I had eggs and tuna in the morning, then a small protein shake mid-morning, and another about half an hour before my workout, both with oats in them. Also coffee with sugar right beforehand.

I forced myself to rest properly -- I was doing about three minutes, which clearly wasn't enough. Upped it to five-six minutes between squats and things went a lot better.

I also focused a lot more on my glutes for the squat -- normally I cue myself to push through my heels, but lately I've found that I've been trying to do the entire lift with my legs, so instead I cued to stick my ass out on the descent and bring it in on the ascent. Really felt that hip-drive thing. It also helps with the good-morning tendency, because it makes me concentrate on bringing my hips forward and up instead of just up.

So glad to finally get 75 on the press after struggling with it for so long.

The deadlift set was the most honest one I've ever done, as well. Been a lot closer to five singles than I should.

And!! A nice older man asked me, as I was walking back from the drinking fountain, "What's your event?"

"Um... nothing?"

"Oh, I thought you were on the track team."

WHAT

I mean, a) I am obviously not built for speed and b) I'm ten years too old to be on a college sports team! I think what he meant was shotput or hammer, which is awesome because ever since the ESPN Body Issue Amanda Bingson is my fitness goal. I thanked him very nicely and told him I just like lifting heavy things.

Thank you all so much for your advice and support!! I reread the comments on my last workout before I went into the gym and it really helped.

Onward and upward!

Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast