Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    Chrome yo, its bad for you.
    Nah bro, it's a killer pre-workout.

Hey Liz!

Great work so far! Keep killing it!

Squat: 45 2x5, 75 1x5, 105 1x3, 145 1x2, 175 3x5

Bench: 45 1x5, 85 1x3, 125 3x5

Deadlift: 135 1x5, 185 1x3, 225 1x2, 245 1x5... sort of

Grip issues today on DL. First my ring cut into my finger, which was never a problem before (the bar was further into my fingers on that lift) so I took it off real quick and did another rep. On the next rep, my right thumb decided it wasn't a team player anymore and refused to hold on, so I had to do that one over too. Looked more like 1x2, fail, 1x1, fail, 1x2 -- but the rest time between reps was well under 30 seconds and I didn't stand up. I'll probably go ahead and do it over again anyway.

Did some farmer's walks with the 45s afterward, which I haven't done for a little while. Not sure if I should switch to the trap bar for actual bar-gripping practice, or keep using the plates with the larger grips.

I think one problem is that, since there's no platform or bumpers, I don't really feel comfortable dropping the deadlift -- the plates are rubber-coated, at least, and no one seems to care if I set it down hard, but I'm still letting it down instead of dropping it. At least I got the damn thing up five times total, though.

FYI, I've been using mixed grip all along, not knowing that it was looked down on for lighter weights until I'd already gotten used to it. I suppose hook grip would be overkill at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by LizF View Post
    Squat: 45 2x5, 75 1x5, 105 1x3, 145 1x2, 175 3x5

Bench: 45 1x5, 85 1x3, 125 3x5

Deadlift: 135 1x5, 185 1x3, 225 1x2, 245 1x5... sort of

Grip issues today on DL. First my ring cut into my finger, which was never a problem before (the bar was further into my fingers on that lift) so I took it off real quick and did another rep. On the next rep, my right thumb decided it wasn't a team player anymore and refused to hold on, so I had to do that one over too. Looked more like 1x2, fail, 1x1, fail, 1x2 -- but the rest time between reps was well under 30 seconds and I didn't stand up. I'll probably go ahead and do it over again anyway.

Did some farmer's walks with the 45s afterward, which I haven't done for a little while. Not sure if I should switch to the trap bar for actual bar-gripping practice, or keep using the plates with the larger grips.

I think one problem is that, since there's no platform or bumpers, I don't really feel comfortable dropping the deadlift -- the plates are rubber-coated, at least, and no one seems to care if I set it down hard, but I'm still letting it down instead of dropping it. At least I got the damn thing up five times total, though.

FYI, I've been using mixed grip all along, not knowing that it was looked down on for lighter weights until I'd already gotten used to it. I suppose hook grip would be overkill at this point?

You are doing great! I'd advise no jewellery at all. You could loose a finger in a heartbeat. I haven't worn any in years, mainly due to my work with electricity. I did almost tear off my finger with my wedding ring years ago catching it on a concrete wall I was climbing down from. Never wore a ring again.

Don't drop your deadlifts, lower them in a fast, but controlled manner.

In regards to your last sentence; use a regular double overhand grip + chalk until you absolutely cannot hold onto the bar anymore. This will strengthen your grip as much as possible for deadlifts, and grip is usually the first limiting factor. Only once you cannot hold onto the bar anymore, then consider a mixed or hook grip.

For me, I was doing at least one double overhand pull in my work sets before switching, but now I just do all my warm ups doh and switched to mix for my work set.

Continued great lifting and progress. Good job!

No rings at the gym! If you ever think about it: Google "ring de-gloving" and you'll never wear one at the gym again. Ever.

About the grip I'd also recommend double overhand with lots of chalk (if the gym is finnicky about chalk you can try using the liquid stuff, which is also very helpful but not as dusty). I usually do as many reps as possible with a double overhand grip, and then I switch to a mixed grip during the set, when I feel I won't be able to hold on to another rep. And I don't think anyone actually "looks down" upon a mixed grip for the lighter reps. Many (me included) do think it's better to use a double overhand grip for as long as possible, though, since this strengthens your grip a lot better than if always using a mixed grip.

Yep, DOH grip for as long as you can, then try hook grip as well.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the DOH tips. Didn't realize that trained grip strength in itself.

So far my fingers and hands seem okay -- it's just a) forgetting to take off the ring because the weights weren't heavy enough to be an issue until now and b) that weird thumb thing that happened. I'm sure that's a function of overall hand weakness, though. Hook grip would help, as in pinning that sucker to the bar.

I don't want to drop the bar from lockout or anything, but I also don't want to lower them so carefully that I run out of gas. Balancing act, I guess.

Went to the gym today because I was feeling a bit stiff and wanted to get moving, and while I was there I messed around with some stuff. Learned three things:

1) I can't rack a clean. Tried every grip width, but I couldn't even touch the bar with my fingertips and point my elbows forward at the same time (and I tweaked something in my left arm while trying). My forearms are really long, it seems, though I might have less trouble if I suddenly lost a bunch of arm fat.

2) I'm not strong enough yet to rack a power snatch with the empty bar -- not smoothly, at any rate. I could get under it okay, but I couldn't get my elbows straight in the same motion. Given my press numbers, I'm not really surprised. Unfortunately, the preloaded light barbells are too short.

3) I can't do a hang from the top of a pullup, or negatives. Not surprising at all, at my weight.

Think I'm just gonna stick with deadlifts every workout until I stall.

Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast