starting strength gym
Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: iSquat's Novice LP Log (43yo male, 5'10", 186 lbs starting weight)

Default iSquat's Novice LP Log (43yo male, 5'10", 186 lbs starting weight)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Novice training at 40 something. Been at it a number of weeks but wanted to start a log here.

Long boring intro:

Had some limited exposure to weight training during football off season in high school. I've exercised off and on since college but mostly cardio. I weighed about 155 out of high school and 165 out of college. Hit my highest skinny fat weight of 198 lbs this year. The wife and I joined a gym (one of many over the years) and I gravitated to the treadmill as usual.

After a couple of weeks of daily cardio I started adding some modified Crossfit WOD's and machine weights. My goal was to lose body fat, get strong enough to do a pull up (I could do 4-5 chins into my 20's but could never do a pull up), and be able to do the Crossfit WODs.

I lost 10 lbs in the next month and began researching the lifts required for Crossfit...which brought me to Stronglifts...which brought me to Starting Strength.

I read the pros and cons but initially jumped into SL because rows seemed easier to learn than the power clean. The SL app helped as well (didn't know about the SS app yet). After a month of SL, reading more about SS, and discovering the SS app, I made the switch.

I started SL with the empty bar as recommended. I upped the weights several weeks in after reading the SS method of determining starting weights.

Where I started:
    9/23/2015 (Day 1) to 11/15/2015 (Day 55). Started SL with the empty bar and switched to SS 10/23/2015.
    Squat - 45 lbs --> 195 lbs
    Deadlift - 95 --> 220
    Bench - 45 --> 130
    Press - 45 --> 95
    Power clean 95 --> 115 (added 11/02/2015)

Wish I knew my actual starting 1RM. I'm guessing my squat 1RM was probably around 165-175. Still doing 5x5 on the bench and press because they are still easy.

Day 41 - Mon 11/02 - 191lbs
    Squat: 165x3x5 - challenging but no harder than previous workout. Think this indicates seeing true linear progression in my squat. Form? Need to video soon.
    Bench: 115x5x5 - still relatively easy. Should have started higher but don't want to temp fate and end up stalling early
    Power clean: 95x5x3 - (1st time added) somewhat easy but tiring. Need to work on form - especially the catch and elbows up (probably everything)

Day 43 - Wed 11/4 - 190.6lbs
    Warmup 5min treadmill @ 5mph
    Squat: 170x3x5 - felt heavier than last workout but last set easier than first two. Need heavier warm up? Flexibility has improved. Hands closer to proper position for low bar. Still not certain if bar position is correct.
    Press: 80x5x5 - feeling heavy but still fairly easy
    Deadlift: 200x1x5 - heavy but feel like I could have done 2 more sets. Will jump 10 lbs again

Left groin very sore starting out - felt good after workout. Was feeling a little beat up yesterday but felt good this morning and after workout.

Day 45 - Fri 11/6 - 190.6lbs
    5 min trdml @ 5mph
    Squat: 175x3x5 - first set bad form; felt uncontrolled. 2nd and 3rd sets better and felt easier than first set. Need heavier warm up? Felt slightly heavier than last workout. Groin felt much better with a slight tightness on the left side but no pain.
    Bench: 120x5x5 - still easy; tempted to bump the weights up
    Power clean: 100x5x3 - easy but I'm certain form is awful. Hoping no one else in the gym knows how to actually do them so they don't think I'm a complete idiot.

Just got the book and started reading it.

Day 48 - Mon 11/09 - 192.6lbs
    5 min trdml @ 5mph
    Trying cheap chuck knockoffs. Can tell my heels are pushing out to the side on squats due to the cushioning.
    Squat: 180x3x5 - full warm up, tight, took some time to get into it but good by 2nd set. Weight felt about the same as last time. Shoes are better.
    Press: 90x3x5 - could have done 5x5 but short on time
    Deadlift: 210x1x5 - (jumped 10 lbs) form feels better but still needs work

Day 50 - Wed 11/11 - 191.6lbs
    5 min trdml @5mph
    Squat: 185x3x5 - full warm up, little heavier than last workout
    Bench: 125x5x5 - still easy
    PC: 105x5x3 - easy, form sucks

Day 52 - Fri 11/13 - 190.6lbs
    5 min trdml @ 5mph
    Squat: 190x3x5 - BODY WEIGHT! Felt a ittle heavier than last workout. Last set last rep fairly hard
    Press: 95x5x5 - definitely getting harder; form? 3x5 soon? Microload soon?
    DL: 220x1x3; definitely heavier than last workout; 5lb jumps?

Day 55 Mon 11/16 192.2lbs
    No trdml warmup
    Running late and free weight area busier than normal. Only one squat rack. For a month and a half no one else used it. Now I'm seeing trainers with their clients and other gym goers in it. Someone was already in it at 5:05am. Started with bench.
    Bench: 130x5x5 - easy
    Someone else in the rack! That's my rack. Oh well.
    PC: 110x5x3 - easy, form sucks
    Squat: 195x3x5 - no harder than last workout. I definitely feel the difference when I get a good hip drive

Default iSquat's Novice LP Log (43yo male, 5'10", 186 lbs starting weight)

Day 57 - Wed 11/18 - 191.0 lbs
    5 min trdml @5mph

Squat: 200x3x5 - 2nd set easier than 1st. Last rep last set slow going up

Press: 100x3x5 - last set ~hard. Dropped to 3x5. Microload soon?

DL: 225x1x5 - 2 plates! Challenging but think I can bump it 10 lbs next time. Form felt good – keeping the bar close up and down.

Little sore going in but good workout.
    Last edited by iSquat; 11-18-2015 at 06:46 AM.

Welcome to the forum. We are very close in stats (I'm a tad shorter and lighter) so I'll be following along closely. Looks like you are off to a great start!

Welcome! This is a great program. Looking forward to reading your progress.

Thanks for the welcomes. Looking forward to seeing where the program takes me.

Welcome to the forum iSquat. SS has been one of the best gifts I've ever given myself, keep up the good work. It's great to see more folks join.

Day 59 - Fri 11/20 - 191.6 lbs
    5 min trdml @5mph

Squat: 205x3x5 - little intimidated at first because the final warm up seemed heavy. Slightly off balance on 2nd rep and ended up pausing at the bottom. Still got out of the hole fine. The rest went well - 2 weeks to 2 plates.

Bench: 135x5x5 - Finally got my big wheels. Still fairly easy.

PC: 115x5x3 - fairly easy - form? Rushed due to time.

Rushed more often than not now. Going to need to start going to the gym in the evenings after the kids are asleep.

Good progress! I found that timing the rest periods and staying away from the cell phone keeps me on a tight schedule & saves time.

Rushed more often than not now. Going to need to start going to the gym in the evenings after the kids are asleep.
    For a year or two in fitness center dues you can get your own setup at home & save a lot of time and workout whenever you feel like. I did this after a few months and never looked back; I head to the garage once the kids are tucked into their beds.

Quote Originally Posted by peez View Post
    For a year or two in fitness center dues you can get your own setup at home & save a lot of time and workout whenever you feel like. I did this after a few months and never looked back; I head to the garage once the kids are tucked into their beds.
    Planning to build a house in the next couple of years that will include a workshop. Thinking now I'll have to make it a bit bigger for a home gym.

starting strength coach development program
    Day 62 - Mon 11/23 - 193.2lbs

5 min trdml

Squat: 210x3x5 - felt the heaviest so far - went well. Shoulder flexibility for low bar limited - have to keep hands out pretty wide (this has improved some but not much).

Press: 105x3x5 - tough/prob stall soon (allow stall or microload?)

DL: 235x1x5 - warm up seemed easy so I added 10 lbs. Switch grip feels much better. Jump 10 again? Form felt good - flexibility has improved.

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast