starting strength gym
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Greasy Canuck lifts Dirty

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Thanks, Andrew. All kinds of perks to living life as a heavyweight, at least when it comes to lifting. Can't fit a button down off the rack to save my life, though.

Default 29/01/2016

Spotted some really ugly knee slide in the video I took on Wednesday, decided to do something about it. Spent some extra time TUBOWing before grabbing the bar and then a little more with weight on my back. Seems I got the knee slide under control...at the expense of my fucking depth. And to make matters worse (ish) I was PAUSING in the damn hole from concentrating so hard on my knees. Well, whatever: going to start putting video up this weekend for further critique/cue suggestion. Besides all that I have got a lifetime worth of squatting to do: plenty of time to hone my technique compared to the 4 weeks I've been at this so far.

Enough bullshit - on to the numbers.

Squat - 245 x 3 x 5

Said it all already. Shallow. Paused. However...not that tough, even with the pause. 2 plates no longer intimidates this guy!

Bench - 170 x 3 x 5

Getting tough, bar slowing down on the way to lockout, caught myself skipping the pause. Better start with the microloads.

Powerclean - 105 x 5 x 3

These are going to take some work. Had at least one warmup rep snag my belly...shameful! Seems I got my hook grip working, felt rock solid.

Default 01/02/2016

Did not go into this one strong. Little light on the eating today, always fucked up coming out of a weekend for some reason. Still ground it out just as well as usual - if not in spite of a little wooziness.

Squat - 250 x 3 x 5

Really need to get some video on here - knee slide is under control, but still worrying about depth. Finally got my damn chin to stay down, makes a world of difference in the hole, for whatever reason. Weight feels just heavy enough, for now.

Press - 115 x 3 x 5

The big retry, and I got it. Felt much much stronger than last time - added a belt and thought hard about supporting the motion with everything below my shoulders. Worked great, but it's still time to call it quits for 5lb jumps. Baby steps up to a 135lb working set (ie. I will be a big show off at my gym).

Deadlift - 300 x 1 x 5

Only managed 2 pulls with my hook grip, then the last 3 with a closed grip. Just too nervous about dropping the bar. Pulls felt good, almost a little too much on the last one, but I'll chock that up to a lack of milk today.

Looks like the start of a good week.

Hi Dustin. Good to see someone with textbook progression. Keep at it!

Submitting form checks early is a good idea.

Default 03/02/16

Pretty stress free day at the gym, no big form concerns. Felt good and strong going in!

Squat - 255 x 3 x 5

1 notable rep where I lost track of my knees. I know this because it felt like my fucking abductors were about to leap out of my groin. Negative feedback has its place I guess, right?

Bench - 172.5 x 3 x 5

Commence the microloading! Going to take a while to get use to the idea of stacking little washers on the bar, but I have faith in the program - forward progress is forward progress!

Power clean
    - 115 x 5 x 3

Going to have to do some video review soon, just to see what I'm doing in slow mo. Feeling some wrist flexibility develop, as the bar is getting easier to rack every time.

All told, just a plain old good training session, which is nice. Excellent days are obviously ideal, but I'd take the usual grind over a giant fuckup of a session any day.

Default 05/02/2016

I guess I just love to follow up mediocre with something totally rotten. Shitty sleep, ate like an idiot all day, etc. etc.

Still got it fucking done, though.

Squat - 260 x 3 x 5

Probably one day where I could have used a warm up on the stationary bike. Little strain on the lower back, overthinking the depth. Otherwise, not too heavy. My goal is to hammer out 3 more weeks on LP (I'll even take 2.5!) before switching to a HMH program.

Press - 120 x 3 x 5

Yes, I know I said I was going to micro-load. But that would make me a pussy, and there's no way I'd stand for that. Technique fuckup is now unfucked, and I'm gunning for 3 more weeks before dropping into 2.5 lb increases.

Deadlift - 315 x 1 x 5

On the topic of not being a pussy, I went and made up for my initial 5lb increase (stupid) AND made a proper 10lb increase. DOH grip on ALL warmup sets, alternate grip on work sets.

Bummer that it started as a grind, but the outcome was worth it.
    Last edited by Dustin Malcolm; 02-06-2016 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Words are hard

Default 08/02/2016

Bitchin. Coming back savage after the weekend.

Squat - 265 x 3 x 5

Form was solid, only felt a little loss of tightness at the bottom once (that damn tug on the abductors is a serious indicator of a fuckup, I think). Bar slowed down on #5 on set 2 and #5 on set 3. I'm going to consider this a win.

Bench - 180 x 3 x 5

Another correction for an early transition to micro loading, because fuck it. Had issues previously doing competition pauses (because I'm an idiot). This has been rectified. Bar speed good all the way through, kept good focus on keeping a tight grip on the bar.

Power clean - 125 x 5 x 3

Was tempted to take a bigger jump, but I decided to let it lag. Enjoying using this as a fast *light* pull for the time being.

Fun addition to this week: I'm coming up on 4 months of hitting the gym, 6 weeks of that training, so I'm taking a little advice from Jordan at barbell medicine. I'm running according to his 'recomp' numbers for the time being, we'll see how I come out of this week looking weight and recovery wise.

Default 10/02/2016

Another good one.

Squat - 270 x 3 x 5

Felt heavy, but moved. It seems every time I have to squat in the half-rack at the gym shit doesn't go quite as well as I'd like. May have something to do with facing the doofus on the adjoining half rack. Whatever - work got done.

Press - 125 x 3 x 5

Still working hard at that hip rebound/starting from a TIGHT dead stop. Seems like it's working.

Deadlift - 325 x 1 x 5

Feeling the effects of the power cleans. I like to think I am, at least.

Important lesson learned this week: 270 isn't a heavy squat. Neither is 315. Lots of fives to do yet.

Default 12/02/2016

Out of shit to lead in with this week. Right to the fuckin' numbers

Squat- 275 x 3 x 5

Juuuust about fucking lost it on #5 of set 3, total fluke. That fucking half rack again. Widened my stance a little, as I could feel my belly hitting my quads. Helped with depth quite a bit.

Bench- 185 x 3 x 5

Set 1 felt shitty for whatever reason. Strong finish on set 5. Bar speed still good.

Power clean- 135 x 5 x 3

What a fuckshow. Almost lost the bar at the top twice, bounced off my knee once, got real awkward on the last couple sets. Not too worried, can still get the bitch racked and my pull feels fast.

That's the end of week 6

Default 15/02/2016

starting strength coach development program
    Things got a little hairy today.

Squat - 280 x 3 x 5

Bar felt slow. Now, here's where I'm a little confused - I fucked up my macros a little over the weekend. Wonder if that could be the reason? Guess that Wednesday will be the real test of that theory.

Press - 130 x 1 x 4, 2 x 5

Totally fucked my hip thrust on the last rep of my first set and couldn't drive the bar up. Last rep of both remaining sets were grind-ey. Going to progress to 135 of Friday anyway. Would like to hit 140-145 before thinking about micro loading.

Deadlift - 335 x 1 x 5

Not much to say here. Bar went up, back felt solid, etc. etc. Had to take an extra breath before the last rep.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast