starting strength gym
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Greasy Canuck lifts Dirty

Default 29/02/2016

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    The worst. Full week of the flu transitioning gently into a head cold. Not a good time.

Squat - 285 x 5, 280 x 2 x 5

285 was a grind so I thought I'd give myself a little longer wind up back to 290. Last set was almost a complete fuck up, bounced one off the safeties, almost lost #5 for real. Feeling like a weenie.

Press - 125 x 5, 120 x 2 x 5

Same as the above shit-show. Brutal.

No pulls today, posterior chain was shot, sweating my bag off and barely standing. Hopefully have some kind of 'B' game to offer by Wednesday...

Default 02/03/2016

Squat - 285 x 3 x 5

Much better. Must be over the flu.

Bench - 175 x 3 x 5

Was damn near time for a reset anyway. Would like to run up to over 200 if possible.

Deadlift - 325 x 5

Default 04/03/2016

Realization for the day: watered down Gatorade is the nectar of the fucking gods. Also, Rip and Katia's Rootbeer Protein shake is fucking amazing.

Fun facts: Weight is at 243, which would be a 2lb gain. Waistline hasn't budged an inch from 45" which makes me a fat fucker, but I think I can live with that as long as the plates keep adding up.

Squat - 290 x 3 x 5

Fuck all to it.

Press - 125 x 3 x 5

Solid bar speed, one more run up to 135 x 3 x 5 and then it's microload time.

Power clean - 135 x 5 x 3

More than one accidental muscle up in there. Someday I would like to get some coaching on the clean, but it will be a little while before the time/money is available. Will have to take some video of 145 next week.
    Last edited by Dustin Malcolm; 03-04-2016 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Added fat facts

Default 07/03/2016

Poor diet compliance over the weekend = harder than needed return to training on Monday. At least that's my current theory. I prep my meals for the week, but inexplicably don't eat enough while I'm doing it.

Added 6 mg creatine to my dietary routine starting today.

Squats - 295 x 3 x 5

Very last rep would be what I'd call a 'grinder'. Full steam for 300 on Wednesday.

Press - 130 x 3 x 5

Any difficulty I'm feeling right now seems to be technique. Letting the bar get ahead of me is fucking me up. Looking forward to a re-try on 135 on Friday.

Deathlift - 335 x 5

Tried it with a 4" power belt, but turned backwards. Not acutely aware of my back rounding, but then again, it's something I'd need video of to confirm. Only wore the belt because my obliques lit up on the last warm up set. Actually had one come up uneven for some fucking reason, too. Tough day.

Default 09/03/2016

Got some video, for those of you actually following along...

Overslept today, not sure but I think that might have an effect on training. Circadian rhythm etc. Ended up late to the gym and had to bail out before doing power cleans, which I'm certain I will live to regret.

Squat - 300 x 3 x 5

Now that..that was fucking hard. Really looking for feedback on bar speed / form on this one - want to know whether or not I should repeat / try for another / plan on adding a light day.

VOLUME WARNING - I GET MY GRUNT ON

Squat 300lb x 3 x 5 Set 3

Bench - 180 x 3 x 5

Easy as fuck. Going strong back up to 190 next week. Excited to hit 200lbs, managed it as a 1RM once and only once when I was about 17 years old at 180 lbs body weight.

Bench 180lb x 3 x 5 Set 3

Default 11/03/2016

No video today.

Squat - 305 x 3 x 5

Sore/tight adductors. 10 min. rest between sets, probably have another 5lb jump in me, whether or not I like it.

Press - 135 x 3 x 5

Good. Going to try for another 5lb jump now that I've reset. Had a minor technique breakthrough, so maybe I can push up to 145 before microloading.

Deadlift - 345 x 5

Already done this once before, so a little easier this go around. Sore glutes.

Excited about my progress, despite my crummy upper body lifts. Lots of time to work on bench / press yet.
    Last edited by Dustin Malcolm; 03-11-2016 at 10:59 PM.

Default 14/03/2016

Ate and slept good over the weekend. Fluffed up a little this morning, but I'll take the extra 5lbs on my squat without complaint about that.

Squat - 310 x 3 x 5

310 lbs set 3

Bench - 185 x 3 x 5

Powerclean - 145 x 5 x 3

145lbs set 3

The....worst....cleans?

Time for another form check before I land myself in a fuck-up.

Default 16/03/2016 - week 11

Squats - 315 x 3 x 5

315lbs Set 3

Felt like shit. Groin/adductor hurts, knees out hurts, but work got done. Considering repeat on Friday, 320 on Monday, and then proceed HLH from there to allow my other lifts some breathing room. We'll see how fucked up I am on Friday.

Press - 140 x 5, 4, 4

140lbs Set 3

Shit. Fuckfuckfuck. Not happy. Redo next week, then 2.5 going forward, fuck it. Wish this lift had gone further on 5 lb jumps.

Deadlift - 355 x 5

355lbs

Going to have to check this again next time I deadlift to make sure I can't flatten out my lower back more, but I'm 99% sure that's my love handles looking 'round' back there. Shameful, but fuck it. I'm the guy 50lbs away from 4 wheels.

Onward.

Shit. Fuckfuckfuck. Not happy. Redo next week, then 2.5 going forward, fuck it. Wish this lift had gone further on 5 lb jumps.
    Hey - you made it past the big plate on the press with 5lb jumps? That is a big fucking deal. Press is fickle bitch and takes a long time to increase. For me adding accessory work like weighted dips and chins - and pressing at the end of bench days (volume and frequency are key) - helped keep the press moving.

starting strength coach development program
    Well that didn't occur to me, haha. Thanks for the poke, that one pissed me off last night.

What do you think of 2.5's and then adding volume work on bench days next time I fail before going more complex?

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast