starting strength gym
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Greasy Canuck lifts Dirty

Default Movie time

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I don't think I've done anything TOO God-awful... but I'm no professional.

Testing the video embed here before I do a real technique post, so no bitching if the video doesn't work on the first shot.

Press set #3 at 130lbs

Squat set #1 at 275lbs

Squat set #3 at 275lbs

Having some trouble getting today's squat up...which sucks, because I'm a little worried about the bar speed.

Default 17/02/2016

Squat - 285 x 3 x 5

Blew my pants out on set #2. Not even fucking joking, split them right up the middle at the bottom of my 4th rep. Still made 5. All kinds of fucked up shit happening on account of trying to fix my depth, probably high on a couple in set 3. Giving serious consideration to repeating this weight. Hovering around 7 min. rest between sets.

Set 1 @ 285 lbs

Bench - 190 x 3 x 5

Felt like shit, don't know why. Got the work done, though.

Fucked off early. Gym was crowded on account of dickheads not coming in Monday because of the stat holiday and I was pissed off before I walked through the door.

Blew my pants out
    LOL! Pity you didn't post the vid of set #2. That's a good sign you are building them glutes - happened to me too, fortunately in the privacy of my garage. It's not an uncommon occurrence in the SS community BTW.

May want to post the videos for a form check in the technique subforum to get the most feedback. The only thing that's immediately apparent to me is that your stance is quite narrow.
    Last edited by peez; 02-18-2016 at 07:12 AM.

Didn't have the camera set up for #2, unfortunately (fortunately?) Gave me a decent chuckle.

All the above have gone through the technique forum. This particular trip to the gym I was focusing on hitting depth in response to some critique from there. I think I had opened up my stance on later sets to help with that.

Any commentary on bar speed would be appreciated: starting to feel heavy/slow but the video seems to differ. Unless something magical happens at 290 on Friday I might have to start using a light day on Wednesdays starting next week.

I see good bar speed and good depth, nice bounce. Of course it feels heavy - it is. Heavy = stimulus = progress. You are not really grinding yet so you may get a few more jumps.

Based on what I learned from a SSC recently a wider stance is useful for hip drive - I thought I was wide enough but apparently not. If you can feel it in the adductors it's a good sign. I'll leave it to others to chip in on what they see.

This is encouraging.

Must resist urge to be a weenie.

Default 19/02/2016

Not a bad day.

Squat - 290 x 3 x 5

Felt strong. Widened my stance (per Peez), SQUOZE and hammered my knees out. Good stuff.

Volume warning - Manlet doing squats nearby won't shut the fuck up about...doing squats. Excited about his bi-weekly 'leg day' I guess.

290lbs Set 3

Press - 135 x 4,4,3

Exactly what it looks like, gas to the mat and couldn't get that last rep. Repeat next week followed by micro-loading, or maybe I could take a run at a few more 5lb jumps. Would love some feedback from anyone with experience on the matter.

Deadlift - 345 x 5

Probably the first time I got worried I'd miss the last rep, but that could've been form breakdown. Got a good break from heavy pulls next week, so no worries.

Taking a sick day, seems I picked something up end of last week.

Too bad, not looking forward to having to ramp back up to 290!

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Malcolm View Post
    Squat - 285 x 3 x 5

Blew my pants out on set #2. Not even fucking joking, split them right up the middle at the bottom of my 4th rep. Still made 5. All kinds of fucked up shit happening on account of trying to fix my depth, probably high on a couple in set 3. Giving serious consideration to repeating this weight. Hovering around 7 min. rest between sets.

Set 1 @ 285 lbs

Bench - 190 x 3 x 5

Felt like shit, don't know why. Got the work done, though.

Fucked off early. Gym was crowded on account of dickheads not coming in Monday because of the stat holiday and I was pissed off before I walked through the door.
    I guess that's a good reason not to go commando. Impressive numbers.

starting strength coach development program
    I've got some highly developed standards re: layers of fabric between my genitals and the world, so commando would be a non-starter....thank God. I'd like to hit the mid 300's before I get run out of this gym for public indecency.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast