starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 30 year old newbie from Puerto Rico

Default 30 year old newbie from Puerto Rico

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have posted on this forum before, but never in the log section. Here is a short background story: I moved to Puerto Rico in the end of 2012 with my wife and 2 kids (she is Puerto Rican). We started a business in 2013 (IslaPops.com), which I operate after my day job working on a CNC machine in a factory. Things start to take off and I find myself with no time to relax, go the beach, etc. I become very stressed out and restless. I never weight lifted before in my life, but I read that it could help with the stress from being overworked. A quick google search led me to the Strong Lifts program. I got a cheapo 1" barbell bench setup used and went for it. I finally got to weights that I didn't feel comfortable putting on my back with the crap bar, so I joined a real gym. I stuck with it for about 8 months, and went from the empty bar to the following:

Squat: 5x5 220lbs
    Bench: 5x5 125lbs
    Deadlift: 1x5 240lbs
    Press: 5x5 80lbs
    Barbell Row: 5x5 110lbs

Anyways, probably due to not eating enough or not getting enough sleep, or just stress (my business has really taken off and it's still just the wife and I, no outside help) I got burnt. Tired all the time, some serious mental fog, and just lost motivation. I pretty much took all of January and most of February 2016 off. I then come across Starting Strength. I was intrigued by the 3x5 (seems less taxing and easier to add weight to the bar) and I give it another shot. My body was craving physical activity, but I didn't want to feel like a zombie again. Plus, the fact that SS has a vibrant and active online community was a motivator.

I will make a post for every SS work out I have done since I started today, and then make new entries in real time.

My stats:
    Male
    31 years old
    185 lbs
    6'0"

My gear:
    *Shoes: Basically it's an all leather high top converse Chuck Taylor, made for the skateboarding world. I like em (the leather provides more support) but I plan on getting real weight lifting shoes soon

*Belt: none, for now. Once my squat goes to 225lbs and beyond, I'll start using one.

*Wraps: None, but I might start wrapping my right elbow as I get some pain from lowbar squats in that elbow

*Chalk: I'm the only one at the gym that use chalk. I can't stand gloves. The bar feels less secure in my grip. I'll take my callouses like a man, dammit!

*Bar: some bushing York bar that the gym has. It's ok, kinda whippy, but at least it has center knurling

*Rack: I use a half rack, or squat rack that the gym has. It's ok, but the non-adjustable rack pegs bother me.

I'm pretty much a raw lifter. No knee wraps or sleeves (I might get some of those blue Rehband sleeves soon). I try to keep it simple.
    Last edited by so.wack; 03-21-2016 at 10:39 PM. Reason: added more info

Feb 22

My first day of SS. I deloaded from my last workout in early January by about 25%.

Squat: 3x5 170lbs
    Bench: 3x5 100lbs
    Power Clean: 5x3 65lbs (I have never done them before, so I started light to work on form)
    Chin Up 3xfailure (2, 1, 1)
    Last edited by so.wack; 03-21-2016 at 10:08 PM.

Feb 24, 2016

Squat: 3x5 175lbs
    Press: 3x5 66lbs (I am increasing the load in 1 lbs increaments, as I stalled ALOT on these when doing Strong Lifts)
    Deadlift: 1x5 200lbs
    Last edited by so.wack; 03-21-2016 at 10:08 PM.

Feb 26, 2016

Squat: 3x5 180lbs
    Bench Press: 3x5 110lbs
    Power Clean: 5x3 70lbs
    Chin Ups 3xF (2, 1, 1)

It was my birthday that day, so I did a one rep Press of 100lbs and locked it out! Felt really good!

Feb 29, 2016 (it's a leap year this year!)

Squat: 3x5 180lbs
    Press: 3x5 68lbs
    Deadlift: 5x3 225lbs

March 2, 2016

Squat: 3x5 190 lbs
    Bench Press: 3x5 115 lbs
    Power Clean: 5x3 75 lbs
    Chin Ups 3xF (3, 3, 2)

Notes:
    Improvements in my chin ups today! I found myself pulling myself up in somewhat of a "J" movement. Not as exaggerated as a Kipping style chinup (my legs as crossed and stationary) and I am not swinging myself with my hips or shoulders, but the pull is not a straight "up and down" movement. Is this bad? I will try to post a video for review.

March 4, 2016

Squat: 3x5 195 lbs
    Press: 3x5 72 lbs (made a 4 lbs jump as opposed to a 2lbs increase)
    Deadlift: 5x3 235lbs

Notes:
    I found my upper back on the right side hurt from squating this day, specifically on the way up. Probably due to a crappy form. Still getting used to the hip drive aspect.

March 7, 2016

Squat: 3x5 200 lbs
    Bench Press: 3x5 120 lbs
    Power Clean: 5x3 80 lbs
    Chin Ups 3xF (4, 4, 2)

March 9, 2016

Squat: 3x5 205 lbs
    Press: 3x5 75 lbs
    Deadlift: 5x3 245 lbs

Notes:
    I had to use mixed grip on the last 2 reps of my deadlift set. I always try to use double overhand when possible, for now anyways

starting strength coach development program
    I didn't train for 4 sessions. Total bummer. I had a crazy ass week with the business. I'm talking 14 hour days, for 2 weeks straight. There was no way in hell I could squat 200+ pounds after driving 4 hours and working until 2 AM only to go sell at a outdoor event the next day. I grit my teeth, made my money and got through the hell that was my March. Next time, I'm getting employees! I am still tired from March 7-20!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast