starting strength gym
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Greasy Canuck lifts Dirty

Default Greasy Canuck lifts Dirty

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey there.

No need for introductions, thread title should cover everything necessary.

Fat guy, nearing 30, not an athlete, etc. etc. 3 months of fucking around in the gym leading up to starting LP as per SS: BBT

Starting stats:

Height - 5' 11"
    Weight - 240 lbs

Squat - 160 lbs (3 x 5)
    Bench - 145 lbs (3 x 5)
    Press - 95 lbs (3 x 5)
    Deadlift - 225 (1 x 5)

Moving into my 4th week of linear progression on Monday. As of this past Wednesday reduced my squat progression to 5lbs / workout and introduced power cleans. Potentially could have kept up 10lb jumps for a few more workouts by dropping to DL/PC rotation alone, but what's done is done and progress is still being made. Lost a couple jumps on DL and press due to a grip fuckup and lack of power rack space, respectively. I have since started power clean/pressing as required when the rack is occupied.

Here's where I'm at now (end of Week 3):

Weight - 246 lbs

Squat - 230 lbs (3 x 5)
    Bench - 160 lbs (3 x 5)
    Press - 110 lbs (3 x 5)
    Deadlift - 285 lbs (1 x 5)
    Power clean - 95 lbs (5 x 3)

As far as I have read, this progress is expected. Nothing too fascinating. Still, I'm excited to be approaching a BW squat: fat guy with no training experience, remember?

Looking forward to sharing some good progress with you, long as I can gut it out for.

Good luck, dude! And welcome.

Welcome. What part of Canadia?

Welcome. Good progress.

Deep in central Alberta, little south of Edmonton.

Thanks for the welcome, guys. Hopefully more good numbers tonight.

25/01/16

This weeks weigh-in: 248 lbs

Squat - 235 x 3 x 5

Just hard enough. Completely forgot to put on my damn belt and didn't realize it until I was perched on the end of the bench about to warm up.

Bench - 165 x 3 x 5

Not bad at all, either. Hell of a time keeping my back set for some reason, but I'm sure that will get better with practice.

Now the shameful part: I didn't do my damned power cleans. I took a couple runs at racking the bar on my shoulders and am still having a bitch of a time getting my elbows up with my hands on the bar. Discouraged enough between that and the perpetual crowd next to the platform that I took the option and went home. Going to have to do some reading on possible solutions.

Welcome to the forum , Dustin! Good progress so far!

Potentially could have kept up 10lb jumps for a few more workouts by dropping to DL/PC rotation alone, but what's done is done and progress is still being made. Lost a couple jumps on DL and press due to a grip fuckup and lack of power rack space, respectively.
    Doesn't matter - as long as you are still moving up. Keep that momentum and keep adding. Don't be afraid to microload.

If you post videos in the technique forum on any of your lifts you'll get good help. SSC are sparse in your neck of the woods.

Thanks, peez. Really good to see that there's a good support community here.

Default 27/01/16

Guaranteed I didn't eat enough and I slept like shit last night. Such is life.

Squat - 240 x 3 x 5

Actually took a little footage, which I may try to post eventually, and noticed I was going a little too low. Only other standout would be a tendency to look forward...fucking mirrors in gyms, right? Felt good, really good.

Press - 115 x 2 x 5, 115 x 1 x 3

Annnd here's where the sleep/diet caught up to me tonight. Not overly concerned - the 5 lb jumps won't last forever. Still planning on repeating this weight yet, having a little trouble with that hip stretch at the bottom/breathing/tempo that killed my drive. Probably a good time for a re-read.

Deadlift - 295 x 5

Totally gassed at this point, so I was happy to get this set done in its entirety. Managed a DOH grip for 1 rep, shitty approximation of a hook grip for 2 reps, and then a closed grip for the last 2. First time since I started that I thought I was going to drop the fucker. Not going to drop the weight progression quite yet.

starting strength coach development program
    Nice to see another canuck on here. Great progress. You're lifting weights after weeks of training that took me months, with no signs of slowing down!

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast