starting strength gym

Thread: The Long Hard Road from Sedentary...

Default The Long Hard Road from Sedentary...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Male, 44, 6', 215lbs 27%BF, Weak as F*ck.

Week 1

Monday, 16th, May, 2016
    Squat 205 3X5
    Press 95 3X5
    DL 225 1X5

Diet: Macros 2475cals
    Carbs 201g (wholegrain bread, sweet potato, milk, veggies)
    Protein 207g (whey, eggs, meats like turkey, pork etc)
    Fat 94g ( eggs, milk, meats)

The hardest thing I'm finding is the diet. I realized that I never ate enough and of what I used to eat, it was crap/processed/ wrong mix of macros. Now that I'm trying to eat quality and in the right quantities, it's hard. I have to remind myself to eat. I travel a lot, plenty of opp. to sit on my ass almost the whole days. Work outs are in the early a.m. Circa 5:30am is when I'm under the bar.

Goal is to get strong, stave off injuries, recomp the body so I wobble less and end the sedentary life.

Tuesday 17th May, 2016
    HIIT
    C2 Rower - 6 rounds of 30/1:30. 6 on the dampner, striving to keep the 500M split to under 1:40 and around 38s/m.

Diet: Macros 2,010Cals
    Carbs 150g
    Fat: 62g
    Protein: 205g

My thinking here is following Jordan's "to be a beast". My goal as well as lifting heavier is to recomp. I have too much BF making GOMAD inappropriate and hence the HIIT. Additonally on these rest days I'm trying to come down on the calories a little and the Fat/Carb macros but keeping the protein above 200g, if this effects the performance under the bar I'll up the cals and be very strict on the quality of food. I'm having to make real changes to old habits. I'm cutting the coffee during the day because otherwise I have no appetite for the food. I'm still forcing myself to eat. Thank God for sweet potatoes and boiled eggs... I'm feeling pretty good and looking forward to tomorrow's lifting to see how I do on adding weights to the bar.

Wednesday 18th May, 2016

Squat: 225 3X5 (yes! 20lb increase from Monday and the reps felt good. Last set was demanding. 3mins rest between sets seems like a good amount presently).
    Press: 105 1x5, 1X4 then 3 and dropped to 95 for last two reps. (I might need to rest longer than 3 mins between sets here).
    DL: 235 1X5 (man this was hard).

I REALLY felt this workout in my legs more than my back/erectors. Maybe because I hit a good weight on the Squat and it carried over into the DL. I worked out later than usual this morning. Around 9am. I made sure to have the pre-workout meal that Jordan specified - caffeine, whey and BCAAs along with 23g carbs from cereal. I seemed better energized than my usual early a.m workouts. Thursday's workout will HAVE to be in the very early a.m. I'll see how that goes for energy levels.

Nutrition: Today I'm going to try and up the protein and carb ante and hit 250g for each and let the fats fall where they may. Focus will be on clean, single ingredient foods. No crap!! I'll see how I go when at the end of the day.
    Last edited by GOMAD; 05-18-2016 at 08:27 AM.

Welcome. What is your height?

Welcome.

If you are just starting out, the squat and deadlift numbers are pretty nice.

Thanks fellas. I've updated my stats above. I'm 6' .

I started SS about 4 years ago, I got my squat up to 275 and the DL to 300 on the money but then shortly after I quit due to work, two kids blah blah usual excuses. Basically did very little exercise other than get up in a treestand to fling arrows at wildlife... I had a 'psychotic break' you could say where I realized I was making very poor prioritization decisions on life (and I was a major fool in personal choices) and so this return marks my highly belated, or early, New Year's resolution.

Hmm... Can't seem to edit my post to add diet info. I wanted to have one post for each week for ease of following progress/notes.
    Wednesday 18 May, 2016
    Diet: Macros 2,579 cals
    Carbs: 160g
    Fats: 58g
    Protein: 272g

I'm happy with the protein levels. I thought I was doing better with the carbs. Feeling very full. Will see how energy is tomorrow. It was a good day I feel. 20lb extra on Squat with a clean completion of sets and reps and 10 on DL and almost on Press.
    Last edited by GOMAD; 05-18-2016 at 09:32 PM.

I skipped a w/o on Friday because my back is hurting and work just got in the way. Back is still hurting today but I wasn't going to miss two days in a row. Back didn't hurt during the w/o. Just after. I'm thinking it's my body going "WTF!! Sit back down and have a PBJ like a good boy and never go back to that nasty basement again..."

Saturday 21 May, 2016

Squat: 235 3X5 (this felt pretty good. I think there were a couple of dirty reps in the last set so I'll stay at this weight next time to ensure form is not crap under heavier weights).
    Press: 95 3X5 ( I'm stuck at this weight, it felt good this time round so I'll go back to 105 again next time).
    DL: 255 1X3 (I ended up doing two more but there was about 20sec rests in between. This was MAX effort).

Diet: I'm keeping it up. It's getting easier. At about 2500cla give or take a 100. Keeping protein and carbs up. Making sure protein is always north of 250g and carb around 200 but no more than that. Fat is whatever is in the protein but I'm keeping it clean.

Tuesday, 24 May 2016

Squat: 245lbs 3x5
    Press: 105lbs 3x5
    Cleans: 95 1x5

Yes, fucking, please! Felt like solid form on the squats - quads, hams, glutes and erectors all tingling nicely.

My nodule issue in my back still hurts so did cleans rather than deads. Felt like I had good energy today, good focus and really worked hard in the squats and press. Very happy. Might even slay a Guinness or two today.

starting strength coach development program
    Thursday 26th May 2016

Squat: 255lbs 1X5 2X4. I think the second set I could have gone for the 5th rep but was afraid to 'fail' and I'm doing this solo. I have a power rack but I'm being a wuss I guess.
    Press: 110 1X3... what a shit day for this. I don't know if the squat just took it out of me but I had NO puff for this. rested for 3 mins and then did bodyweight dips for failure (7x220Lbs).
    Deadlift: 265 X3 This was tough. back hurts again (nodule thing). I'm going to get a deadlift belt.

I think I'm slipping on the diet. I've not counted calories or macros because I'm being lazy and that's just plain dumb. Going to go back to watching the diet. I think if I had proper energy I could have done a better job today.