starting strength gym
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Log for a flabby 50+ waistline warrior. Newbie/ Novice log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    welcome, good stuff! keep up the slow and steady work!

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by slowmotion View Post
    Welcome to the forums, warrior. I'll be following your log.
    Thanks slowmotion, hope its not too boring.

Quote Originally Posted by JMF_2112 View Post
    Thanks for the words of encouragement. I couldn't endorse working with a certified SS coach enough. Best of luck on the journey.
    It just seems like the way to go. Starting off with correct form and the motivation of others. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    welcome, good stuff! keep up the slow and steady work!
    Thank you Mr. Bingley. Am at that stage of life where I have the time to put in.

Default The second beating for the week.

Second day at the gym. It was a little easier to get in the correct position but still pretty uncomfortable on the first few sets. Had a problem with looking up this time so a weightlifting gnome was put on the floor and I had to stare at him throughout the lift.

Did bench press tonight and supposedly they were good. Have a habit of pausing at the bottom that I was taught years ago by a powerlifter. ( "That's how you make real power") So I had to overcome that and using a wider than normal grip for me.

Deadlifted again. My BAB (big ass belly) gets in the way and pushes my knees into my elbows and doesn't allow for catching or even taking a good deep breath. So we widened the grip (twice) and took off the shoes and lifted barefoot. The difference was unbelievable. Little tweaks like that are why its worth having a coach.

Squats:
    2 sets of 5 with the bar. 1 set of 5 with 95 pounds. 1 set of 3 with 135 pounds. 1 single for 155 pounds and 3 sets 0f 5 with 165 pounds.

Bench Press:
    2 sets of 5 with the bar. 1 set of 5 with 95 pounds. 1 set of 5 with 115 pounds. 1 set of 5 with 135 pounds and 3 sets of 5 with 155 pounds.

Deadlifts:
    1 set of 5 with 135 pounds. 1 set of 3 with 175 pounds. 1 single with 190 pounds. This is where we did the final width adjustment and took off the shoes and it felt lighter than the 175 pounds. Finished with 1 set of 5 with 200 pounds.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.
    Last edited by waistline warrior; 03-04-2016 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    For advice on losing some weight while gaining strength check out the Nutrition section. You may also take a look at Karl Schudt's log in the competitive section.
    I'm nothing special, but I'll tell you that the macro thing can work. Let's get it done.

"but I'll tell you that the macro thing can work"

Been reading a lot of the logs and see people mentioning the "macros". Am clueless about that. Guess I have weekend homework. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum! Keep up the good work. here the article you need to read to understand what the hell a macro is & to calculate yours.

To Be A Beast | Barbell Medicine

Well done getting started, warrior! I'll be following your log.

Also I'm a bit jealous of you people having access to SS specific gyms and coaches.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by entering40strongerthan20 View Post
    Welcome to the forum! Keep up the good work. here the article you need to read to understand what the hell a macro is & to calculate yours.

To Be A Beast | Barbell Medicine
    Thanks for that link. Read up on that and started running calculations. Turns out to be a whole lot of food. (if its is quality food) Was already planning to cook most of the weeks meals ahead of time. After reading the article, I really need to plan what goes into each one.

Quote Originally Posted by athlegan View Post
    Well done getting started, warrior! I'll be following your log.

Also I'm a bit jealous of you people having access to SS specific gyms and coaches.
    Thanks athlegan.

Was going to do the program on my own like you. Have a lifetime membership with no dues at a local chain gym. (they acquired the gym, that acquired the gym that I belonged to years ago and have to honor that contract.) But since they got rid of most of the power racks (only one now), squat racks (only two now) and bench press stations (three now), you just can't get in a workout when you want without waiting.

Got angry a month ago, got online looking for a harder core gym and found Fivex3. Am a cheap bastard, but the desire to lift is greater than the worry about added expense.

Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast