starting strength gym

Thread: Joel Rasmussen Training Log

Default Joel Rasmussen Training Log

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I should have started this ages ago here we go:

Training for approx a year and a half, started with Strong lifts got injured and found Starting Strength. Had a torn intercostal and a shoulder impingement slow things up a bit and was lucky enough to go to the Starting Strength training camp over in Melbourne a couple of months ago (early 2016).
    I have been working through degenerative disk disease, I have degenerative changes in C4 through to C7 with damage to the facet joints in all of the aforementioned. I get some nerve pain through both arms and sometimes I lose strength in the arms due to the nerves being pinched. I have a brilliant physio over here (who lifts) he has been helping me manage it and encouraging me to get my neck and back as strong as possible - fixing it without surgery. The stronger I get the less my neck bothers me.
    Happy to talk to anyone working through neck and shoulder issues, I have managed to fix a heap of issues with mine with some brilliant help and would love to help anyone else if I can.
    I have a garage gym in Adelaide South Australia and am training 5-8 people in the gym on the SS linear program

Stats:
    Age 29
    Height 6 foot 2 inches
    Body Fat: 25%ish

PBs
    Squat: 157.5kg
    Bench: 98kg
    OP: 70kg
    Deads: 160kg
    Cleans: 50kg

Current lifts:

Squat: 157.5kg (just worked back up from some form improvements at the SS camp)
    Bench: 65kg (rehabbing the shoulder impingement)
    OP: 55kg (rehabbing the shoulder impingement)
    Deads: 135kg (working back up from some form improvements at the SS camp)
    Cleans: 45kg (rehabbing the shoulder impingement)

Everything still on the linear progression (just starting to add the odd light day in squats to squeeze more life out of the linear progression)

Current Whiskey: Hibiki 17 year old Whisky by Suntory

Welcome aboard!

Welcome. We're getting more an more people into this wondrous adventure who live in Australia. Yet, so far, we have no SS coach on the continent. Maybe you will be the man.

Thanks mate, I am thinking about making the flight over to do the seminar - it would be brilliant to get some SS coaches down here

5/3/2016

Squat: 145kg 3x5
    OP: 57.5kg 4/3/3
    Deads: 140kg 1x5

Nerve pain and weakness causing hell on OP and holding the weights up properly on squats - was only adjusted yesterday and the day after seems to be the worst waiting for inflammation to die down. Monday will be a good session!
    Last edited by JoelRasmussen; 03-04-2016 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Accidental double up

starting strength coach development program
    7/3/2016

Squats 155kg 3x5
    Bench 65kg 3x5
    Cleans 45kg 3/3/2/0/0

Good session until the end of cleans radiating pain from the neck causing issues with my shoulders. Chiro tomorrow presses the day after!